wont start/backfire/missfire.

Search this Thread

Old 21 July 2010, 08:43 PM
rudboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wont start/backfire/missfire.

Hi,

Help needed, i have until recently had very few running problems with my 95wrx with recon redtop, last friday i went to start it, it started reluctently and was very lumpy, not wanting to take revs, so as a mate has had problems with his maf and the symptoms were similar to the way he described them, i thought why not give it a try?,I unplugged it and the car started first turn and was running fine util 1.5 miles down the road when it started missfiring, backfiring, popping and seamed like it was spitting back through intake, so pulled over, engine wanted to cut out, kept the revs at 1500, seemed fine, pulled away and same again, since then i have swapped the maf, no joy, my mechy has checked a few sensors but no joy, it is now getting to the stage that it does'nt want to start at all then all of a sudden it just fires into life, runs poorly then just wants to cut out. he has also checked, fuel pressure and seems fine. new plugs have been in for about 200 miles.

Any help advice much appreciated.

Rudboy
Old 21 July 2010, 09:29 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to Scoobynet,

What did you unplug?
Old 21 July 2010, 09:45 PM
DaveD
Scooby Regular

The car shouldn't start with the MAF unplugged, unless a failing MAF has been fitted and the ECU has adapted to suit. Are you sure the replacement MAF was good?

Have you done any recent maintenance to the engine (you mention plugs), has the problem only occurred since? Were the coil packs in good condition when taken off / re-fitted?

Lots of questions, but might help drive towards an answer!
Old 21 July 2010, 10:08 PM
rudboy
Scooby Regular

Hi,
I unplugged the maf,
Prior to the car failing lastweek tho, the car had started running slightly slugish/ rough when cold as if for a split second whilst accelerating there was no fuel or spark giving a slight jolt when it kicks back in. the maf that was tried was removed from my old engine prior to its removal 9 months ago, it was as far as i no was working fine when removed.
Also the front decat pipe was removed at the same time as the spark plug renewal, 200 miles ago. no other maintenance was carried out,the starting issue has just started but slugish/joltting has been there for a while.
Dont know as to the physical condition of the coil packs when they were taken off / re fitted as this was done by my mechy.but he reckons the problems nout to do with them tho as we have discussed this already.

Also, we have done the diagnostic check and no faults come up, we can get them to come up when we unplugg stuff tho.have also swapped the lambda sensor and also tried a different ecu.
Does anyone know where to accesss a wiring diagram for the ecu side of the loom??

Last edited by rudboy; 21 July 2010 at 10:33 PM.
Old 21 July 2010, 11:15 PM
incarsolutions
Scooby Regular

sounds like a big vac leak to me