Notices

Immobiliser problem on my00 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 19 July 2010, 06:56 PM
Scooby715
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Immobiliser problem on my00 turbo

Hey guys hope someone can help me i'm kinda stuck on this one...

When i start the scoob on a morning it won't fire when its turning over, but once i stop and then re-crank the ignition it fires on the very first turn of the engine

When i'm trying to start it, it doesn't matter how long or how many times it turns over it simply won't fire, and the worst thing is its intermittent, sometimes it'll do it all day everyday, and other times it can be trouble free for weeks at a time..

The car is a my00 turbo, and isn't showing any fault codes on the ECU after plugging in the black plugs under the dash

....So the reason i'm thinking the immobiliser may be faulty is i can't think of any other reason why it might do this so does anyone know of a way i can by-pass it to test the theory?? ...Or any better ideas??
Old 19 July 2010, 11:25 PM
tershman
Scooby Regular

Hey Buddy,

Not sure if it has anything to do with your problem but a while back MY98 was doing a similar thing!
Turns out it was because I had been using supermarket super unleaded!
I took it for an MOT a few weeks later and the garage phoned me and asked if I had been using supermarket because it had failed on it emmisions test!!
Just a thought where have you been buying your fuel!
Old 19 July 2010, 11:31 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

hi does the red light go out or stay on for the immobilser,can you hear the fuel pump prime when you switch ignition on as it sounds like fuel pump relay or fuel pump issue to me,same thing happened to my 98 uk
Old 19 July 2010, 11:54 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Scooby715: This may or may not be an "immobiliser problem".

If you have an MY00 UK car, it'll have two separate immobilisation systems. It'll have the Japanese factory fit cat 2 compatible system that uses the transponder in the key, and the Sigma M30 cat 1 alarm/immobiliser (which is not actually "factory" fit, they were installed by the importers after the cars arrived in this country).

If the Subaru immobiliser is acting up, you will see, as ClassicGC8 says, the red light staying on in the key symbol in the dash, and/or your check engine light flashing when you stop trying to start it. So, you can rule that in or out pretty easily.

Unfortunately, if the fuel pump isolator relay in the Sigma alarm is playing up, you won't get an error, so this'll be more difficult to diagnose.

Classicgc8 is right on the money though. Do you hear the fuel pump relay click (and the pump prime) every time you turn the ignition on? You should hear the relay click twice - once when the pump goes on, and again about a second and a half later when it goes off. If you hear the relay but not the pump, then this suggests you either have a failing pump (or a problem with its loom), failing relay, or possibly a problem with the M30's immobiliser relay.

You can check the fuel pump relay fairly easily by swapping it with the fog light one. If problem goes away, you can be pretty confident that the relay's on its way out. If swapping it doesn't make any difference, then you can be pretty confident the relay's good and look at the pump (or its connections), or the M30.
Old 20 July 2010, 10:27 PM
Scooby715
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies so far guys;

-gc8 i'm pretty sure it does prime every time thats something i did think of, although i'll have a good listen for it clicking, priming and clicking again over the next few days...

-Splitpin - immobiliser-wise there's no CEL light and i don't think the key light flashes either, although i'll have a double check for that when it next plays up...

-tershman - I don't use super juice - my pockets aren't that big unfortunately!!

....Now i hate to complicate matters but.... here's where the plot thickens!!

It's had a meta-systems alarm fitted at some point instead of the std subaru one before i bought it, so obviously it still has the transponder key but i'm not sure whether or not the other part of the immobiliser is still there.

-Hopefully like you've already said SP, this may have nothing to do with the alarm/immobiliser cos i hate the bloody things!!!!
Old 20 July 2010, 11:00 PM
Scooby715
Scooby Regular

Update.... Just to add another mixer to the pot....

I've not had the CEL up for aaaages but.... plugged her in again just to double check i'm not going mad, and yes your right folks i am!!!!... it's showing code 11 (crankshaft sensor) on the ecu.... doh!!!!!

Now the problem is i'm pretty sure i had a new one of these fitted a few months back grrr!!, well it was either crank or camshaft sensor, I can't remember which one it was so i'll have to check with my mate see which one it was that he fitted....

...Anyway if it was the crankshaft sensor or some sort of wiring short up to it, could this cause the strange and extremely annoying non-starting problem..?
Old 20 July 2010, 11:44 PM
Splitpin
Scooby Regular

Hmmmm, try resetting your ECU with the green + black plugs method and then keep a close eye on it. Next time you get a recurrence, check the black plugs again and see if it records any errors.
Old 22 August 2010, 04:08 PM
Tommy Watts
Scooby Newbie

Default Immobiliser Problem for my WRX (03)

Just wondering if anyone can help me?

I have just had my Subaru WRX (03) put through a full 60,000 mile service. Yesterday whilst at Thorpe Park i returned to my vehicle at lunch and unlocked the motor, when i tried to lock it again , the car wouldn't lock??

I have tried putting the key under the pedals closer to the alarm box (Suggested by a Subaru mechanic where i had the service) Also told that any masts antennas etc in the area will effect this. It has been recovered back to my home address and its still not working. I have changed the key fob lithium battery. The car battery is fine as everything starts up but the immobiliser is stopping the engine from starting.

Any ideas on what this could be and how to sort it?

Many thanks
Old 20 November 2010, 01:06 AM
Scoobymart0802
Scooby Newbie

Hello everyone, these forums are great, so hoping someone can save me!!!

Especially from what Splitpin said, can you or anyone tell me where i can locate the sigma alarm fuel pump relay switch.. I believe thats what is causing me problems.

I was driving home and my 1999 Turbo 2000 awd seemed like it ran out of fuel, when i came to a halt, the alarm started going off? I tried arming and disarming, car locks and sets, but when disarmed alarm sounds? its extemely annoying..
I've listened and can't hear the fuel pump doing anything, so assuming like splitpin said relay on alarm for fuel pump..
I had to tow car home, so gutting....
I don't suppose resetting the pin will solve anything either...

CAN ANYONE HELP ASAP< I NEED MY CAR RUNNING ASAP!! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Last edited by Scoobymart0802; 20 November 2010 at 01:18 AM.
Old 20 November 2010, 03:10 PM
just123
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Splitpin
Scooby715: This may or may not be an "immobiliser problem".

If you have an MY00 UK car, it'll have two separate immobilisation systems. It'll have the Japanese factory fit cat 2 compatible system that uses the transponder in the key, and the Sigma M30 cat 1 alarm/immobiliser (which is not actually "factory" fit, they were installed by the importers after the cars arrived in this country).

Just to correct things the factory fit immobiliser is not cat 2 compatible, it failed the thatcham test as it momenteraly allows the car to start
Old 28 February 2012, 05:10 PM
jev29
Scooby Newbie

Default where to find immobiliser pin?

hi guys please help, i lost my keys i need the immobiliser pin to get a new key where can i find it please help it be the standard pin for 2001 impreza ...
Thanks
Old 28 February 2012, 05:22 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jev29
hi guys please help, i lost my keys i need the immobiliser pin to get a new key where can i find it please help it be the standard pin for 2001 impreza ...
Thanks
You have to get a Subaru dealer to email-off for it. Takes upto 24hrs for the reply. Then you'll have the code. BUT - if the previous owner changed the pin himself, you'll be stuck needing a new alarm ecu. Thats what the main dealer told me last week when I had similar issues - Phil
Old 28 February 2012, 05:24 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

Hrm, if you mean you've lost your FOB and don't have a spare - Dealers can usually program a new fob without the pin code. But I dunno how you'd get the car there. If you've lost the KEYS with no spare - I guess you're not going anywhere

Last edited by pmcb; 28 February 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 28 February 2012, 05:39 PM
pmcb
Scooby Regular

You need a KEY (with a chip in it) and the CODE or the FOB to go anywhere.

And you can't use the code like a fob. You have to set the alarm off for the code to work.

There's a copy of the alarm handbook in the alarm section of this forum. If you read it - you'll see it says that Subaru dealers can give it a new code if yours is lost. According to my dealer this is wrong. And they can't. Although it says in black and white that they can
Old 27 May 2012, 12:27 PM
forgedmarco
Scooby Regular

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't have my pin number, I got a reset procedure to get it back to 0000 then you can put your new code in worked a treat for mine 2003 blobeye wrx