Notices

98 turbo in need of mods, advice gentleman please!

Search this Thread

Old 14 July 2010, 04:39 PM
Dynamo Dav3
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 turbo in need of mods, advice gentleman please!

Hi have a 98 uk model currently with a full stainless system with a fast flow sports cat, i think the system is a ninja 2, only had the car 2 weeks. No other mods at all, car is standard.

I think all cats have been removed other that the one listed above. Would like to add mods for performance with a veiw to having it remapped in due course.

Any advice with suitable suggestions would be greatfully received.

Look forward to all the replies,
Old 14 July 2010, 04:44 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car is an MY98 then sort the brakes out, pathetic is a word that is far too good to describe them
600 quid will get you a set of Ksports (look in the group buy section) which will be a BIG improvement over the standard 2 pots.

Tony
Old 14 July 2010, 05:27 PM
Claaarkio
Scooby Regular

Tony you are on a Brake mission today!!

Agree the standard 2 pots are rubbish, unfortunately brakes are often further up the mod tree on most peoples list.

If 600 quid is too much try getting a good set of 4 pots for the front, the difference over the 2 pots is alot and a bit more cost effective.

My Bro has 8pot ksports on the front and 6 pots on the rear, needless to say his car stops well!!
Old 14 July 2010, 06:41 PM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car was made after October 1998,it should have 4 pots on as std,if your calipers say subaru on them then a good set of pads will suffice imho,if they dont then take tony's advice.Regarding mapping if you use the search bar and type in: 'what turbo',there are 100's of pages listing all the options you have regarding an upgrade to your td04,which should give you some options.Regarding your exhaust if it is a ninja 2 it will have 'ninja II ' emblazed on the left hand side of the tailpipe as you look at the back of the car.
Old 14 July 2010, 06:46 PM
happydude303
Scooby Regular

and then if your after power your probally need a ecu as i dont think the 98 can be mapped yet, sim tec or power fc. depends on how far you want to go as if your going over 350 then your want a nice set of internals in your engine
Old 15 July 2010, 08:10 AM
Dynamo Dav3
Scooby Newbie

Many thanks to all your responses.

So to sum up other than the brakes (which is an area i will be looking at) i really should be looking to change the ecu before getting it mapped.

The exhaust is a ninja 2. Anyone have anything to comment about its performance as i have never had one before, should i be looking to change this as well?

Any thoughts on an induction kit? Was looking perhaps at pipercross or going the full hog and getting a blitz kit.

Silly question tho, how do you know if its a MY98? Being a bit thick today!
Old 15 July 2010, 08:17 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Use the standard Subaru airbox with a better filter.
Cheapest option for a remappable solution
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...in-my-car.html unless you want to spend about £1000 on a new ecu or search for a 2nd hand Apexi Power Fc.

Look on the VIN plate for the Applied Model code
Old 15 July 2010, 10:19 AM
midnight
Scooby Regular

Hiya mate,nothing at all wrong with tje ninja 2 imho,a good flowing backbox and quite well made.In the past i have had the following backboxes owerflo,std ,prodrive,racebox,afterburner vortex,scoobysport,and ninja 2 .IMHO the ninja 2 is a very good compromise as the vortex is mega loud and the prodrive to quiet for my liking.It is also very popular and unlike the vortex you dont need the removable bung on mega long journeys.
I am having mine mapped shortly ,with the new backbox on ,so will be interesting to see if there is any difference Keep it imho
Old 15 July 2010, 01:41 PM
T4YLOR 83
Scooby Regular

hi mate what miliage is the car at presently and what sort of power are you looking at?

as people will no doubt tell you the 98 is a bit tricky for modding as there is not as yet a good live mapping software or daughter board for them unfortunately limiting you to buy a new ecu and having that 1 mapped which is around £900 min for a simtec or maybe apexi (which are becoming pretty rare these days

also i would bear in mind you will have a few limiting factors to throw into the mix ie your gearbox providing its been looked after and isnt silly high miles it will only cope with around 280torque

your turbo being a td04 is only capable of 270bhp max

your injectors are 380cc which is around 270bhp max

also look at the miliage of the car as if its standard and high then moding the car could potentially finish the engine off thus incuring a £3k engine rebuild

basically its not a cheap car to mod what you need to do is weigh up whether its worth modding or not

hope this helps mate
Old 16 July 2010, 06:59 PM
ginger321
Scooby Regular

mine old 98 wagon has a dastek unichip for mapping an i cant fault it.
when i started modding my car i went down the sports cat Dp, de cat centre an big back box route along with a green panel filter, however during the installation process for the unichip the garage said the car was running lean with just the exhaust. Need to get it checked to make sure yours is running ok
Old 16 July 2010, 09:57 PM
joe joe88
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, the bottom line is what everyone said to me when i bought my 1998 classic...... if your gonna mod it, how much will you have/want to spend then the planning can really start.

Whether you go for it or not i wish you better luck than what ive had mate
Old 17 July 2010, 01:14 PM
f4la k
Scooby Regular

if your goin to mod it, the first thing you should buy is an aftermarket ecu to cope with the mods. There is no cheap way to mod high powered cars. buy the best. if its cheap its cheap fora reason.
Old 17 July 2010, 04:03 PM
terzo314
Scooby Regular

like a few have said, check the engine is sound, if its got a slight knocking noise from cold or even when its warm i wouldn't bother, but if its ok id go down the route of, uprated fuel pump, new maifold with up pipe [un-equal] imo, then go for a simtek ecu, mine needs mapping but im waiting till i hear more bout this esl daughterboard to be honest!! or if youve got plenty of cash go for bigger injectors and turbo an then get it mapped.