Notices

TD04 Max Boost

Search this Thread

Old 23 April 2010, 12:04 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TD04 Max Boost

I am currently running a TD04 on my Bug WRX with a remap to 1.2bar and a prodrive 3-port. My limiting factor at present is the injectors which are running 97% duty. I am planning to upgrade to flow matched pinks, TGV delete and a bigger turbo (TBC in due course). But out of curiosity, if I add the pinks sooner rather than later, what is the max safe boost on a TD04
Old 23 April 2010, 12:19 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

Not much more than that. 1.5bar peak is pushing one of those too far IMHO.
Old 23 April 2010, 12:24 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

That's pretty much what I expected, so as well to do it all together and wait a little longer with the current set-up
Old 24 April 2010, 12:24 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

I ran a max 1.4 bar on my TD04.........a long time ago LOL

There is no point in adding bigger injectors at the moment as the TD04 can't flow enough
air to trouble even the OEM bugeye injectors...

Not sure why you are thinking about TGV deletes. I run about 400BHP on my bugeye with the TGV's still there.

Modding the Bug WRX is tricky, I spent a lot of money over the years with swapping all sorts of bits over (as it's not an STi)........

My advice is to sit and think very carefully what you want to end up with.....

Mod it once, mod it with all the bits that you need, re-map it once....... and then if you need more then buy something else :

All IMHO

Shaun
Old 24 April 2010, 02:36 PM
mrsounds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMc
I am currently running a TD04 on my Bug WRX with a remap to 1.2bar and a prodrive 3-port. My limiting factor at present is the injectors which are running 97% duty. I am planning to upgrade to flow matched pinks, TGV delete and a bigger turbo (TBC in due course). But out of curiosity, if I add the pinks sooner rather than later, what is the max safe boost on a TD04
What sort of power did you get running it at 1.2bar?
Old 24 April 2010, 02:53 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by mrsounds
What sort of power did you get running it at 1.2bar?
Not been on the RR, but it was road mapped and not RR mapped so it is very driveable. Best guess - 270-280BHP
Old 24 April 2010, 02:58 PM
mrsounds
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JonMc
Not been on the RR, but it was road mapped and not RR mapped so it is very driveable. Best guess - 270-280BHP
Yeah same as mate so I was wondering as not been on RR. And looks like got same mods going on as you for next remap next month.
Old 24 April 2010, 03:35 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive got to agree completly agree with Shaun. The amount of money I spent on buying mods, then replacing mods as expecations changed. ie I bought a TD05 16G, Alloy TMIC, 3rd party Up-pipe which were all sold on prior to even fitting as I didnt do my homework.

I must say once I spoke to a good mapper (Andy Carr for me;-) he pointed me in the right direction, so unless very familiar with modding I would talk to your local experts.

On my late UK300 which is essentialy a bugeye wrx in a dress I added this with advice from Andy: a VF30 (only bought as I found one brand new relatively cheap), STI TMIC, STI UPpipe along with Harvey's cleaned and flow tested Pinks, Walbro, Green cotton filter, uprated plugs, etc etc. In a WRX Bug this should all be good for around 340max, maybe more on the odd occasion but these are rarity''s. The car pulled fantasticly, I was amazed how the set up all came together when road mapped.

I posted a quick vid of it before it went last week: 2mins into the vid im on the way back, but turn the volume up ;-) Had to hold off otherwise i'd be into the wall or worse lift off onto oncoming traffic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkyncDjRjWw
Old 24 April 2010, 03:47 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

uk300 Prodrive................it wasn't just me then LOL

Shaun
Old 24 April 2010, 04:05 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Thankfully I've done a bit of research, and whilst I went for a FMIC rather than an STI TMIC, my plans are pretty similar. I was just wondering whether doing it in stages as I got the bits together would provide an interim gains. Clearly not, so I'll spend the next 6-8 months gather another garage full of bits and then go to stage 2 in one hit

Thanks for clearing that up guys
Old 24 April 2010, 04:10 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
uk300 Prodrive................it wasn't just me then LOL

Shaun
No, 3 Scoobys later and im still getting it wrong . Well im officially scoobyless at the moment, looking to buy in a few months, maybe try a classic for a change as i havent owned one yet. I was tempted with this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT but going to wait until the new motor for the wife arrives in August.

Rob