Search this Thread

Old 17 May 2009, 01:35 PM
clearcreek
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BMW 116i Timing/Cam problems

Hi all,
Hope someone can help???

On our way home Friday night the car got very jerky and misfiring,we just managed to get home before it cut out altogether,when I looked under the bonnet I noticed that the exhaust was glowing bright red.
The car is 4 years old and done 28500 miles.
I called into our local BMW dealers and asked if they could tell me what the problem might be and the tech guy said it could be that the timing had slipped???

Anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it.

Thanks,

Pete Spencer

paspencer@onetel.com

0774 992 7639
Old 17 May 2009, 02:21 PM
mattwrxCS
Scooby Regular

You will find that a few have the same problem. there was a timing chain tensioner recall a while back due to the problem you have experienced.

At the least, it would require re-timing and a new tensioner. You could try contacting bmw customer service and explain the problem and bmw 'may' pay towards the repair because of the age/low mileage.

Hope this helps, Matt
Old 17 May 2009, 02:35 PM
clearcreek
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for that, i have emailed BMW Customer service, I have looked on a few Forums and this does seem to be a common problem.
Old 27 August 2011, 09:31 AM
bonzo of bath
Scooby Newbie

Default BMW cam timing out

Originally Posted by clearcreek
Hi all,
Hope someone can help???

On our way home Friday night the car got very jerky and misfiring,we just managed to get home before it cut out altogether,when I looked under the bonnet I noticed that the exhaust was glowing bright red.
The car is 4 years old and done 28500 miles.
I called into our local BMW dealers and asked if they could tell me what the problem might be and the tech guy said it could be that the timing had slipped???

Anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it.

Thanks,

Pete Spencer

paspencer@onetel.com

0774 992 7639
Pete.
I have a 54 reg 1 series and it developed a shudder at 1500-1800 revs. The diagnostics pointed to the inlet cam solenoid so I replaced it, £85!, and the car stopped firing altogether. In desperation I had it lifted to the main dealer and they discovered that the cam timing was out, which they adjusted and fitted a new tensioner. The car has never sounded or performed so well but I am another £365 out of pocket. I have written to BMW for an explanation because chain driven drives cant slip.
Old 30 August 2011, 07:18 PM
bonzo of bath
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bonzo of bath
Pete.
I have a 54 reg 1 series and it developed a shudder at 1500-1800 revs. The diagnostics pointed to the inlet cam solenoid so I replaced it, £85!, and the car stopped firing altogether. In desperation I had it lifted to the main dealer and they discovered that the cam timing was out, which they adjusted and fitted a new tensioner. The car has never sounded or performed so well but I am another £365 out of pocket. I have written to BMW for an explanation because chain driven drives cant slip. Bonzo of Bath
Following on - I have just learned that there was a problem with the tensioner on the E87 and was being rectified during servicing, alas I do my own servicing so I missed out. As I have said above, I will now have the modified one fitted so I should have no more problems. Hope that this helps. Bonzo of Bath.
Old 30 August 2011, 07:34 PM
scooby1929
Scooby Regular

iTS A COMMON FAULT ON ALL THE BMW 1 SERIES PETROL ENGINES. HAPPENED TO THE GIRLFRIENDS AT 4 YEARS OLD WITH JUST 14,000 MILES ON IT. BASICALLY THE TIMING CHAIN JUMPS A FEW TEETH. YOU WILL NEED A NEW VANOS UNIT. MY ADVICE GO BACK TO BMW AND GIVE OFF STINK AND TELL THEM THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM. WE DID AND INSTEAD OF HAVING TO PAY £2000 TO HAVE IT REPAIRED WE PAID JUST £300. GOODLUCK