Max HP from TD05 16g

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2018, 06:46 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
sore subject for you or summit cos you kinda went off on a rant there lol

It's well know they are made by blouch, clinic spec them, test the specs on differn't platforms (2.0, 2.1, 2.5 etc) to see if they work or not. They also try new specs not on the market yet which is why they get revised. But of course you can buy test turbo's on their website can't you. hang on,,,,

at the end of the day you makes your choice you pays yer money.
Yea some of the rebranded stuff does annoy me when all you do is pay more for something you can source cheaper.

Kinda like RCM tax on those SSi headers.

Back on subject tho.

I'm sure Blouch even do a 16g.

journal & ball bearing

Shame they just not readily available

Last edited by SmurfyBhoy; 25 May 2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 25 May 2018, 06:52 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Yea some of the rebranded stuff does annoy me when all you do is pay more for something you can source cheaper.

Kinda like RCM tax on those SSi headers.

Back on subject tho.

I'm sure Blouch even do a 16g.

journal & ball bearing

Shame they just not readily available
depends if its just a rebrand or i its actualy different.
Old 25 May 2018, 08:06 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
sore subject for you or summit cos you kinda went off on a rant there lol

It's well know they are made by blouch, clinic spec them, test the specs on differn't platforms (2.0, 2.1, 2.5 etc) to see if they work or not. They also try new specs not on the market yet which is why they get revised. But of course you can buy test turbo's on their website can't you. hang on,,,,

at the end of the day you makes your choice you pays yer money.
Should have a fanboi warning on any of your clinic related posts, John.

Not everyone rates them.
Old 25 May 2018, 08:10 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by Linksfahrer
Micky , clearly I'm not on the pace here..

You push 330 hp from a TD05 H 16G @ 1 bar !

Despite head improvements, Decat-up,255lph fuel pump,550 injectors
I can't even get close ( I have a "laggy" 312 hp @ 1.4 bar )

Where in your opinion am I going wrong ?
Get someone else to map it. If your mapper has no suggestions, then, it's further proof that he's clueless.
Old 25 May 2018, 08:14 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Not everyone rates them.
and why cant i post fact without being someone saying im a fanboi?

They have always looked after and been reasonable with me, I give loyalty where its due.

Besides which, this wasn't about opinions, it was about hard facts, so its nothing to do with like or dislike.

How about you look beyond your preconceived ideas about who's saying what and read the post for what it actually is.
Old 25 May 2018, 09:54 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

It's well know they are made by blouch, clinic spec them, test the specs on differn't platforms (2.0, 2.1, 2.5 etc) to see if they work or not.

Genuine question: What do you mean by 'spec them'?

I would have thought that the turbos are built from standard parts - it's not like SC have their own wheel design (right?), so the only thing you can realistically vary is the 'sum' of standard parts (from what I can tell), and all of those you can do as a customer from Blouch as well.

Having said that, for most people that just want a known combo, and can't be bothered to get involved with exhaust housing sizes blah blah (and tbh, there are a lot of these kind of people, and there's nothing wrong with that), they appear to produce a good default choice that works well for the most case.
Old 25 May 2018, 10:15 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Henrik

I would have thought that the turbos are built from standard parts - it's not like SC have their own wheel design (right?), so the only thing you can realistically vary is the 'sum' of standard parts (from what I can tell), and all of those you can do as a customer from Blouch as well.

Having said that, for most people that just want a known combo, and can't be bothered to get involved with exhaust housing sizes blah blah (and tbh, there are a lot of these kind of people, and there's nothing wrong with that), they appear to produce a good default choice that works well for the most case.
There are various housing sizes, wheel types, no of blades, core types etc etc. Not all work in all applications so they have to be tested. Some work, some don't, but they don't go on public sale till they are tested.

Because some are test specs not all parts are available to the public, or it might be a different combination of off the shelf parts. there also coating differences etc etc

if people stuck to known combo's you would get any improvements, i had a revised version of the sc46 on my old car which eventually went on sale. Spooled considerably better than the old one yet still did the numbers.

If people stuck to the same spec then there wouldn't be 500bhp+ cars out there
Old 25 May 2018, 10:48 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Exactly.

http://www.bptstore.com/Subaru-WRXSTi_c_14.html

Have a look on their site.

It isn't rocket science.

Pretty sure the SC spec just uses the 7cm Housing

I bet they all perform pretty well.

Would be interesting to see the 16G & 16gXTR compared on a 2.0 here.
Old 25 May 2018, 11:54 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

Hmm, so if I understand the 16g XTR is a roller bearing 16g turbo with a billet wheel. The 16g-XT would be the same with a sleeve bearing, which sounds suspiciously alike the sc36, which I had on a 2.1. It was diabolical IMO. Pointlessly small turbo - giving up a lot of top end for some lower down spool is not something I'm personally keen on - it never felt fast, despite making roughly 350hp.

I've got (what I believe to be) a td06-20g XT (i.e. td06 exhaust housing (7cm), with a 20g billet wheel). I'll be very interested to see how this performs on my 2.1, but sadly the car's not got an MOT yet, so can't be mapped (and also, it hasn't even been ran in), but I'm hoping it will feel like my old non-billet td05-20g did on my 2.0, except a bit more.

Regarding spool thresholds, btw, I'm not sure how a roller bearing would make an amazing amount of difference to these. In my mind the wheels still weigh the same etc, so the same amount of energy would need to be put into them to spin them up to the same speeds. Perhaps there's a small difference in drag, which might take away a bit of the lag (once RPM > spool point).
Old 26 May 2018, 09:57 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Hmm, so if I understand the 16g XTR is a roller bearing 16g turbo with a billet wheel. The 16g-XT would be the same with a sleeve bearing, which sounds suspiciously alike the sc36, which I had on a 2.1. It was diabolical IMO. Pointlessly small turbo - giving up a lot of top end for some lower down spool is not something I'm personally keen on - it never felt fast, despite making roughly 350hp.

I've got (what I believe to be) a td06-20g XT (i.e. td06 exhaust housing (7cm), with a 20g billet wheel). I'll be very interested to see how this performs on my 2.1, but sadly the car's not got an MOT yet, so can't be mapped (and also, it hasn't even been ran in), but I'm hoping it will feel like my old non-billet td05-20g did on my 2.0, except a bit more.

Regarding spool thresholds, btw, I'm not sure how a roller bearing would make an amazing amount of difference to these. In my mind the wheels still weigh the same etc, so the same amount of energy would need to be put into them to spin them up to the same speeds. Perhaps there's a small difference in drag, which might take away a bit of the lag (once RPM > spool point).
Yea.

Glad some folk know the difference between a high boost threshold & lag.

I would love to see them back to back.

See how much the journal vs roller bearing truly matters.

16/18 or 20g.

I have only seen the journal bearing type results.

You can see which ones flow the cfm and match the SC ones.
380cmf - sc 38.

Wonder why they dont brand them Scoobyclinic turbos like the older ones when they just welded exhaust flanges.

Other than the 7cm housing you couldn't tell.
Old 26 May 2018, 07:46 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Originally Posted by mickywrx

Not everyone rates them.
and why cant i post fact without being someone saying im a fanboi?

They have always looked after and been reasonable with me, I give loyalty where its due.

Besides which, this wasn't about opinions, it was about hard facts, so its nothing to do with like or dislike.

How about you look beyond your preconceived ideas about who's saying what and read the post for what it actually is.
Easy tiger. I know the Clinic have always looked after you, it was just a playful jest, hence the

Could say I'm an AS Performance fabboi, Alyn has always looked after me and never ripped me off.