Upgrade to Z4 ECU

Search this Thread

Old 27 November 2006, 02:37 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrade to Z4 ECU

Hi guys & girls,

I have a quick question...I have just bought a new Z4 ECU for my 93 Classic....to fit it, is it simply plug and play or will I need it re-mapped???

Cheers

Andy
Old 27 November 2006, 02:39 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

plug and play as far as im aware, i did it with my94 wrx and didnt re map
Old 27 November 2006, 02:41 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks a lot matey

Originally Posted by powerwrx
plug and play as far as im aware, i did it with my94 wrx and didnt re map
Old 27 November 2006, 03:12 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep plug and play you will get better boost and fuelling but when i fitted mine i was dissapointed by the r/r results.
The z4 map was used by Prodrive for their ecu with even more boost.
Old 27 November 2006, 03:34 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

I like the idea of plug n play!!

What were your RR results with the Z4 then mate?? What were you expecting??
Old 27 November 2006, 03:50 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...u-problem.html

This my thread i had concerning the z4 run tbh i was expecting 260ps.
I did get some intelligent answers so more pleased with the thread than the ecu.
Old 27 November 2006, 04:09 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Interesting thread there.....I was advised by Iain at Power Engineering that the Z4 would be a much better ECU to use as I have the earlier ECU in my 93 Classic.
I will plug it in and see how it runs....if it doesn't seem right then I will get it mapped and play it by ear.
Thanks for all your help and advice mate
Old 27 November 2006, 05:29 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

The z4 cannot be mapped you can however get a chip for your original ecu (W6 or U8) to improve the performance http://www.enduringsolutions.com/
Old 27 November 2006, 06:03 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Ahhh right......did not realise that!! I was under the impression it could be mapped.
Iain at PE mentioned that they could chip it for me but he recommended the later ECU.
I will put the Z4 in and play it by ear I think.
You will probably see a similar post up in a weeks time saying it doens't work or something!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 27 November 2006, 06:14 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
The z4 cannot be mapped you can however get a chip for your original ecu (W6 or U8) to improve the performance http://www.enduringsolutions.com/
Just read that thread and was a little bit uneasy about the fact you are running an ihi turbo with a map meant for a td05, that could be the cause of your troubles.

With regard to origional question Z4 is plug and play, but not on early jdm wagons as they have the td04 turbo not the td05 that the z4 is mapped for. Having done the ecu swap myself I can thouroughly recommend it, and also go on to recommend Scot.T's scoobyecu's and esl's chips which can both be plugged into a standard decatted car for an even bigger boost in performance.
Old 27 November 2006, 06:19 PM
fwdnutz
Scooby Regular

Location: 24hr endurance driving tracks by day, Trucks by night!!!

hi m8 z4 is intended for my 95 wrx jdm import with a td05 fitted if you are running a tdo4 it wont run correctly! you can mapp this ecu speak to Andy at ESL he does post on scoobynet or goto www.enduringsolutions.co.uk
Old 27 November 2006, 06:26 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

i put a z4 in my94 wrx and changed the backbox, that was the only mods i did and i got 267bhp on the RR at pro sport
Old 27 November 2006, 06:34 PM
fwdnutz
Scooby Regular

powerwrx if you decat the exhaust and fit a free flowing airfilter, and fit Esl`s chip kit it will allow you to turn boost up safely and still run on optimax without octane booster and see close to 300bhp dependant on how far you want to go Andy`s(ESL) car is/was running 340bhp on few mods!
Old 27 November 2006, 06:38 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fwdnutz
powerwrx if you decat the exhaust and fit a free flowing airfilter, and fit Esl`s chip kit it will allow you to turn boost up safely and still run on optimax without octane booster and see close to 300bhp dependant on how far you want to go Andy`s(ESL) car is/was running 340bhp on few mods!
thanks mate, i have a decat now and ive recently had a power fc and commander fitted. im running an easy 300bhp at just over 1 bar
Old 27 November 2006, 06:47 PM
fwdnutz
Scooby Regular

No probs powerwrx you didn`t tell me you had apexi pfc in that case you is laughing do as much as you can (modding) and get Andy F to map it you should see some big figures then?
i intend to go same way when i have enouth dosh to do what i want with my wrx 95 and let Andy F loose on it then! but am happy with what i am running for mo! as i say if i have`nt already cannot knock andy at esl he has really been a hive of info with regards to minor mods of my car to date and would recommend ESL to anyone on a budget wanting more bhp`s out of classic scoobs
Old 27 November 2006, 07:37 PM
powerwrx
Scooby Regular

No probs powerwrx you didn`t tell me you had apexi pfc in that case you is laughing do as much as you can (modding) and get Andy F to map it you should see some big figures then?
i intend to go same way when i have enouth dosh to do what i want with my wrx 95 and let Andy F loose on it then! but am happy with what i am running for mo! as i say if i have`nt already cannot knock andy at esl he has really been a hive of info with regards to minor mods of my car to date and would recommend ESL to anyone on a budget wanting more bhp`s out of classic scoobs
nice one mate,pfc is the way to go i could have got more out of it but i have two cracked coil packs so i need to replace them first.
Old 28 November 2006, 10:50 AM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Hi fwdnutz.....I'm a bit worried now as I am pretty sure I have a TD04 turbo but Iain from Power Engineering told me to go and get the Z4 ECU as it runs much better than the previous ECU (the one I currently have!)

Is the Z4 mappable??? If so would I need to get it mapped?? I have been told it cannot be mapped.

As I'm sure you're aware....I'm a newbie!! Had Renault 5 Turbos since I was 18 and they're much easier to work on!!!!!!!

hi m8 z4 is intended for my 95 wrx jdm import with a td05 fitted if you are running a tdo4 it wont run correctly! you can mapp this ecu speak to Andy at ESL he does post on scoobynet or goto www.enduringsolutions.co.uk
Old 28 November 2006, 11:13 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

I would recommend identifying the turbo first (this may the cause of my disappointment as i've got an IHI turbo instead of the standard TD05).
Old 28 November 2006, 11:42 AM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy_C 28
Hi fwdnutz.....I'm a bit worried now as I am pretty sure I have a TD04 turbo but Iain from Power Engineering told me to go and get the Z4 ECU as it runs much better than the previous ECU (the one I currently have!)

Is the Z4 mappable??? If so would I need to get it mapped?? I have been told it cannot be mapped.

As I'm sure you're aware....I'm a newbie!! Had Renault 5 Turbos since I was 18 and they're much easier to work on!!!!!!!
the Z4 cannot be mapped, it can only have an aditional chip fitted. Iain is probably thinking that your car has the tdo5 (thats what it should have) and that is why he is mentioning the Z4 as this is the better ecu as standard for your car. If your car doesnt have the tdo5 then in my opinion it is not worth getting the z4 ecu as the maps will be all wrong which could cause you problems in the long run
Old 28 November 2006, 12:11 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

I'm a bit worried now as I am pretty sure I have a TD04 turbo but Iain from Power Engineering told me to go and get the Z4 ECU as it runs much better than the previous ECU (the one I currently have!)

What might be better to do is if you are running a TD04 get your original ecu fitted with a esl chip or similiar and sell the Z4.
Old 29 November 2006, 09:52 AM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Ok mate...I might have to go down that road.
What are these ESL chips all about then?!?! Where do I find out about them/buy them and how much are they??
Are they easy to fit??

The reason I got the Z4 was because Iain notice a retardation in my ECU causing a loss of power. He said I could either chip my current ECU or get the Z4 but he recommended getting the Z4.

Originally Posted by orbix
What might be better to do is if you are running a TD04 get your original ecu fitted with a esl chip or similiar and sell the Z4.
Old 29 November 2006, 09:56 AM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

Would it be best to use the new Z4 ECU and get hold of a TD05 Turbo??? Or would I then create more problems???
Old 29 November 2006, 10:12 AM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Are you sure you have a td04 as they weren't introduced till 1997 (after doing a search on here)
If you do have a td04 fitted then change it for a tdo5.
Old 29 November 2006, 12:53 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

A fellow Scooby owner at Power Engineering identified it as being a TD04...although my car is a 93 import I just don't know!!
The same guy said my mate (Cheesey_555) who has a STI 555 has the TD05.
I will try and look at it tonight...rumour has it you can see what turbo it is on the plate by the air box. Is that right???

Originally Posted by myblackwrx
Are you sure you have a td04 as they weren't introduced till 1997 (after doing a search on here)
If you do have a td04 fitted then change it for a tdo5.
Old 29 November 2006, 12:55 PM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

You know what?? I think I might just fit the Z4 and see how it goes!!!!!
I'm sure Iain from P.E knows his stuff and wouldn't advise me to get the wrong thing. If it runs like a 3 legged donkey I will either change the ECU or change the turbo!!
So look out guys cos there might be a Z4 ECU or a good condition Turbo for sale!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29 November 2006, 01:08 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

This my engine bay near the airbox (obviously not there) but no plate (my turbo has a plate on it.
Old 29 November 2006, 01:33 PM
jaytc2003
Scooby Regular

I'm sure Iain from P.E knows his stuff and wouldn't advise me to get the wrong thing.
but does Iain know you have a td04?
Old 29 November 2006, 02:14 PM
borat52
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure Iain from P.E knows his stuff and wouldn't advise me to get the wrong thing. If it runs like a 3 legged donkey I will either change the ECU or change the turbo!!
So look out guys cos there might be a Z4 ECU or a good condition Turbo for sale!!!!!!!!!!
Early JDM wagons had a TD04 fitted as standard. Don't fit a Z4 unless you have a TD05 turbo, as it will cause problems.
Old 29 November 2006, 03:28 PM
orbix
Scooby Regular

Would it be best to use the new Z4 ECU and get hold of a TD05 Turbo??? Or would I then create more problems???
I upgraded from a td04 and personally I have never looked back. If you plan do doing further mods to increase power then you might as well get a td05 and keep the z4.
Old 30 November 2006, 08:18 AM
Andy_C 28
Scooby Regular

I would've thought Iain knew what turbo I had in order to advise what ECU to get???????
I will see what ECU I currently have and put it up here...I will also try to find out what turbo I have and put that up here too!!

Cheers for all your help so far guys...much appreciated

Quick Reply: Upgrade to Z4 ECU