Notices

Driveshaft question

Search this Thread

Old 19 August 2005, 06:20 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driveshaft question

basically had the car up on the ramp to see what was goin on underneath, turns out it needs steering rack bushes. whilst under there tho, i noticed each driveshaft on the front has a bit of play it, ie. you can put your arm around it about halfway down and it will, for want of a better word, wiggle and move a bit.

should these have a some play in them, what would be deemed excesssive ?? they prob move a few mm at the mo.
Old 20 August 2005, 10:47 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

anybody ?
Old 09 November 2005, 06:29 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
anybody ?
Same problem here. I've been searching for the cause of the loud single knock I get every time I turn right and it turns out that the left hand front driveshaft seems very loose - there is in and out play of 3 or 4 mm at least and it also can be wiggled up and down about the same amount. There is less play in the right hand driveshaft but it still does it to a certain extent. The rear ones have nothing like the same amount of play.

Surely there should be no play at all?
Old 09 November 2005, 07:24 PM
STI5300
Scooby Regular

I thrash an RA for sprinting, my shafts have what sounds like the same amount of movement though no noise, possibly when they spin they might centre themselves.
Old 10 November 2005, 09:48 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the wheel bearings, could be the problem?
Old 10 November 2005, 11:18 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

The Play is called End Float, It can be adjusted by a large nut within the casing of the diff, But is there by design, A worn driveshaft normally clicks sort of a Tickety, Tick Tick Tick whilst turning more noticeable at low speed, i would say a defined clunk , would be something more like a track rod end, Ball joint or wishbone/suspension bush Etc

Dean
Old 10 November 2005, 06:38 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
The Play is called End Float, It can be adjusted by a large nut within the casing of the diff, But is there by design, A worn driveshaft normally clicks sort of a Tickety, Tick Tick Tick whilst turning more noticeable at low speed, i would say a defined clunk , would be something more like a track rod end, Ball joint or wishbone/suspension bush Etc

Dean
Bollocks. Well in that case I'm stuck! There doesn't seem to be anything else obvious that's moving around under there, even when prying at it with a crowbar. All I've got is this play in the driveshaft and the ARB drop links look off-centre kind of -like they're not quite sitting right, but that's probably cos the wheels were on full droop.

Anything else it could be?
Old 10 November 2005, 07:16 PM
buzzard
Scooby Regular

play in shaft is normal.

slide gaitors back off track rods where they are fastened to the rack. have somebody gently move steering wheel left to right while you hold the joint. check for any play/movement.

outer race of wheel bearing can sometimes move inside hub carrier causing symptoms you describe giving an uncertain feel to steering often more pronounced on roundabouts.

also check subframe bolts are tight.
Old 10 November 2005, 09:36 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by buzzard
play in shaft is normal.

slide gaitors back off track rods where they are fastened to the rack. have somebody gently move steering wheel left to right while you hold the joint. check for any play/movement.

outer race of wheel bearing can sometimes move inside hub carrier causing symptoms you describe giving an uncertain feel to steering often more pronounced on roundabouts.

also check subframe bolts are tight.
OK I'll do some more checking. Cheers
Old 10 November 2005, 09:45 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

I also had a knock whilst turning, Turned out to be a loose engine mount & 1 engine mount bolt missing !!!!

Dean
Old 11 November 2005, 09:00 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DeanF
I also had a knock whilst turning, Turned out to be a loose engine mount & 1 engine mount bolt missing !!!!

Dean
Sounds like there's so many possibilities I need an expert to look it over!