Notices

New bumper or respray bumper ????

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2001, 11:08 AM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Over the wonderful new year break my '97 Scooby Sport had a small kiss with a low wall.

Unfortunately it took paint of the byumper right down to the white plastic.

My question is what is cheaper, buying a new / second hand reddish blue bumper or getting it reprayed.
Old 23 January 2001, 11:37 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Hi Iain,
At what speed did you hit the wall??? bumpers are made to withstand certain impact speeds before being damaged internally, if it was less than 5mph then i would have it repaired and resprayed,(did this to a car of mine, just had it resprayed, v good job!) just take it to a good garage or someone you know to do it thou!!

Tony
Old 23 January 2001, 11:42 AM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Talking

It was a very slow reverse ( under 5mph ).
It pranged the bumper right on the corner.

I thought it would be useful to ask about replacing just in case it would be cheaper. I've got a wee place I can go see about a respray.

Thanks
Old 23 January 2001, 11:46 AM
Squizz
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Iain:
<B>Over the wonderful new year break my '97 Scooby Sport had a small kiss with a low wall.

Unfortunately it took paint of the byumper right down to the white plastic.

My question is what is cheaper, buying a new / second hand reddish blue bumper or getting it reprayed.[/quote]

Iain - I (ahem) reversed into my neighbours car last year. I'd driven home after forgetting something. ran into the house, collected it jumped back in the car and reversed before hearing a hissing sound. My neighbour had reversed his car out of his garage in the meantime...Ooops!

Luckily it was plastic bumber vs. plastic bumper. His was taken down to the plastic (like mine) and he got an invisible repair by "Chips away" for £40 !

Mines DBM, and it's on the rear 3/4 so you can't see it unless you look for it!!! (Saved m'self £40 so far).

He had light mica green paint, and I was worried about the repair but honestly no-one could tell it'd been done.

They're franchised everywhere. Check the yellow pages or summat.

Cheers,
Squizz.

Old 23 January 2001, 05:45 PM
ColinU
Scooby Regular

I had a similar incident about 18 months ago - a 5mph impact to a low wall while reversing. Unfortunately for me it holed the rear bumper's skin... but the impact (even at 5mph) damaged/moved the crush beam and fixtures behind it. Total bill was just short of £700 (an insurance job). Probably worth your while having a peek under the rear bumper so see if anything else has been damaged.

Since then I've done it again!... this time no hole, just a 6" long x 2" wide scratch down to the plastic. Quotes (non-insurance) from reputable paintshops are in the £150 to £200 range.

- ColinU

[This message has been edited by ColinU (edited 23 January 2001).]
Old 23 January 2001, 07:50 PM
Iain
Scooby Regular

Yep, I wasn't going to admit it, but yes I've had it resprayed before and had the crush beam replaced. Funnily enough it was around £700 (uncanny).

Hopefully this time I didn't get that far.
Old 23 January 2001, 07:54 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Plastic bumpers repair fine aslong as a plastic primer is used, this stops the paint flaking off should the plastic move/ bend! I'd also say it's definately worth having a look behind the bumper, good luck Bob
Old 23 January 2001, 09:44 PM
petew
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Try Dentmasters - They did a very good job on my Terzo's front bumper/corner when some w***** scraped it whilst parking!!
Not sure of the number but i think they have franchises everywhere - check Yellowpages!
Cost 50 quid and it now looks better than the other corner!!
Pete