Notices

Couldn't Get It Going

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2000, 08:03 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Parked my car on in town to do a bit of shopping. Came back an hour or so later. Alam remote didn't deactivate the alarm. Opened the door with the key, the alarm did not go off. found the PIN code and inputted it into the keypad alarm set, inputted the code again, the alarm the deactivated. Called the local dealers who had not heard of this before. They suggested that i try the other key fob. I duly fetched ot from home and it works a treat. The battery light comes on in the original key, tried swapping the batteries over. Still no joy with the original. Good job i had the PIN number stored safely on my person. Anyone else had a similar alarm experience?
Old 23 January 2000, 10:05 PM
Harry
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Only a possibility but if your code changes every time you press the button like mine, (Cobra) then using two remotes (if you have done) can sometimes disrupt the sequence. With mine the instructions show you how to reset them.
Good Luck
Old 23 January 2000, 10:44 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

If its a recent car the alarm is I believe a Sigma unit that changes codes each time the button is pressed, If the button is pressed more than about 10-30 times the remote goes out of synch. remotes can be easily re-programmed. It is a common problem I've done it to both of mine before I realized My alarm dealer took about 5 mins to reprogram mine for nothing.
Old 24 January 2000, 12:14 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

To Harry & Paul W
Thanks for the advise.
I sounds like i must stop fiddling with the remote, think i was probably doing that whilst braving the crowds and shop assistants on Saturday.
I will get the remote into the dealer and get it reprogrammed.

Paul
Old 25 January 2000, 05:16 PM
Maddog
Scooby Regular

Just a thought to add confusion..............
It has also been known that mobile phone transmitters nearby can screw your remotes cause of their signal strength.

Now i`m no electronics eng. but seen this on "watchdog" type programme months ago.
Old 26 January 2000, 11:36 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Maddog,

Yes they can cause problems, but only if your alarm has a poor RF front end which is getting overloaded.

Cheers,

Alex