Notices

Removing front license plate for more air induction

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 1999, 04:17 PM
heldihub
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is a good idea or not? Any experiences?
Old 09 February 1999, 04:34 PM
Steve Wilson
Scooby Regular

The only conceivable performance gain could be from slightly improved cooling under very high temperature conditions. I doubt this would be a problem given the action of radiator fans.

Looks could be improved if a 'stick on' numberplate (as WRC) on the bumper were legal.
Old 09 February 1999, 05:18 PM
JohnS

I can only see it being an improvement on a track, where you can safely run at max performance for mile after mile.

Even pushing my car hard on the road, the temp never rises to anything above the middle, so I doubt if it would be of any real benefit. Would probably attract the attention of the police though if you had a stick on number plate.
Old 09 February 1999, 06:10 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

I am running my car with a number plate scaled down to 80 percent of normal size (letters are motorcycle size). I doubt it makes any difference to cooling but I think it looks a lot better.

No problems with plod so far.
Old 09 February 1999, 06:13 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

At Cadwell, last year, I removed my front plate for the very reason that John states.

I then lost the fixing bolts :-(

I drove from Cadwell to Derby, to drop off our revered Webmaster and then back to Chelmsford, with no front plate. I passed at least 5 police cars, coming the other way (on single carriageways) and not one of them even looked twice!!

I definately think it helps on the track and it is also important to do at least one slow lap, to help the cooling down, before ending your session. Pulling straight into the paddock and leaving the engine running can result in coolant boiling out from the overflow.

I have also seen this after "spirited" country lane driving, in summer and it happened frequently in Catalunya.
Old 10 February 1999, 02:12 AM
Mark McE
Scooby Regular

Yeah, it was one of the first things i did when i got the car.

If you want to take the number plate mounts off as well then you need a "security" torx driver as the ones on the car have a raised bit in the middle.You can get these from an electrical factor.

I did this in the past with a Colt Lancer Turbo as well and i've never had any trouble with the MOT or pigs.
It used to be a pretty common mod. with 60's & 70's sports cars and is still very common with clubmans rally cars etc, which in most cases have to have an MOT - so whilst it is technically illegal i think most MOT stations will turn a blind eye.
Old 10 February 1999, 11:46 AM
Mike Tuckwood
Scooby Regular

I have a smaller plate on my bike, hadn't thought about doing it to the car. Good idea next on the list.

Mark.

Do you live on a farm where a normal sized number plate does attract the "pigs" and if so does it also attract sheep, cattle and other general livestock?

Or do you refer to something else?
Old 11 February 1999, 02:03 AM
Mark McE
Scooby Regular

Oops...just slipped out.

See Irvine Welsh's latest for an illustration.......hardy har har