Notices

Impreza WRX - Buying issues

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 1998, 11:11 AM
sambo
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am looking at buying an S Reg WRX, but I am slightly unsure of a few points:

1) Although optimal on RON98, will the car run without problems on normal unleaded fuel?

2) Someone has mentioned 'toughend glass', a feature tha Japan's Imprezas do not have?

3) How can I reduce an estimade £1,800 insurance premium!

4) Can the irritating 'ding-dong' that the dash makes when a door is opened be disabled!?

5) Where can I get a slightly more understandable english handbook?

Any help on the above issues would be most appreciated, as I must make a decission today/tomorrow!

[This message has been edited by sambo (edited 08 December 1998).]
Old 08 December 1998, 04:28 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

1. All evidence I've heard says that although performance may be affected (not by much) 95RON UL will not harm the engine.

2. Haven't even heard anything about Jap cars not using toughened glass. I think you'll find it's a myth though.

3. Phone Keith Michaels. I can't find the number at the mo, but there's an insurance topic somewhere on this BBS in which I've posted the details (and lots of other people have suggested other good companies too).

4. Take the key out of the ignition - it's only there to stop you leaving your keys in the car, and it works!

5. There is talk of somebody in the SIDC translating the handbook into English, which may be available for a small fee. Don't know how it's going though. If you have any questions (e.g., the most common is "what's the adjustable diff do and when should I use it) you can ask on the SIDC listserver or check out the
Old 08 December 1998, 04:31 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

[repeated post deleted - please ignore]

[This message has been edited by MarkO (edited 08 December 1998).]
Old 08 December 1998, 04:43 PM
abetts
Scooby Regular

Re. point 2. The Department of Transport recognise Japanese glass markings for the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) test as (in the Department's view) indicating an equivalent safety standard to UK/EC marked glass. That is good enough for me. Of course you may well find that "official" UK Subaru dealers would have you believe otherwise. Buy the WRX!
Old 08 December 1998, 04:51 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

PS: Sorry about the double-posting - my webbrowser hung and I hit refresh to try and fix it - apparently reposting my message...
Old 09 December 1998, 01:26 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Hi there

Well .. I bought a WRX STI three weeks ago n and certainly haven't regreted it at all!! The power is amazing.

As for insurance try A-Plan on 01494 677776, they were the best I could find.

Steve.
Old 09 December 1998, 04:21 PM
justy
Scooby Regular

ignore last msg

[This message has been edited by justy (edited 12 December 1998).]
Old 09 December 1998, 10:25 PM
MartinK
Scooby Regular

Justy,
I am buying a WRX with full dealer support and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. No waiting list, full computer diagnostic support etc. Your comments are either based on prejudice or ignorance of the facts.
Old 10 December 1998, 08:38 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

I agree, Martin. Looking at various threads on this BBS, 'justy' seems to be quite content to post the same 2-line message about dealers and support, with no reasons or justification. Upon what evidence are these comments based?

I also have an STi, brand new, bought from a showroom with a 10-day wait (i.e., preparation only), dealer support and a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty. Having owned a UK turbo for 18 months/30,000 miles previously, I would say that so far the servicing (cost, courtesy & attention to detail) provided by my dealer certainly equals and in some respects exceeds that of any UK dealer I've tried.
Old 10 December 1998, 10:56 AM
justy
Scooby Regular

Martin & Marko
I am a main dealer for Subaru,I am fully aware of all the facts on grey imports, we will not touch them, so who have you got to service yours ?
Also look out for a hot imp special, 22B like, but for the UK, & the price will undercut the grey market substanially
Keep up the good work, only by challenging answers will we get perfection
Old 10 December 1998, 11:17 AM
rupertu
Scooby Regular

Justy - you disappoint me, I thought you'd be harder to "out" than that ! I'm very pleased that you're joining in our forum, perhaps you can tell us which dealer you represent or even give us a clue as to which part of the country you're from.

I'm delighted to hear that IM are going to import something akin to what hundreds of us have already been enterprising enough to do, off our own backs.
Whilst respecting the fact that you cannot converse openly on the subject (by all means mail me), you must privately be pretty pissed off that it has taken IM so long to come to this conclusion and that even though your new product will undercut the princely price of the 22B, I think it highly unlikely that there is enough margin for it to be less than the mere-mortal's car, namely the Sti.......

P.S Read the note posted by the gentleman from New Zealand elsewhere in here, food for thought.....

[This message has been edited by rupertu (edited 10 December 1998).]
Old 10 December 1998, 04:08 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

I actually have a choice of dealers to service my car - Lockyear, the original source of the car, or Crossroads garage. Both ex-franchised dealers and certainly as good as, say, Bell & Colvill so far.

As for the 'hot imp 22B-alike special', I'll believe it when I see it. Can you confirm (unofficially, of course) numbers? If the price is going to undercut the grey market, presumably SUK isn't worried about interfering with the UK market (e.g., to undercut a £28k STi would need to be in the £24-26k area, which is verging on UK car + air-con prices)?
Old 10 December 1998, 04:08 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

I actually have a choice of dealers to service my car - Lockyear, the original source of the car, or Crossroads garage. Both ex-franchised dealers and certainly as good as, say, Bell & Colvill so far.

As for the 'hot imp 22B-alike special', I'll believe it when I see it. Can you confirm (unofficially, of course) numbers? If the price is going to undercut the grey market, presumably SUK isn't worried about interfering with the UK market (e.g., to undercut a £28k STi would need to be in the £24-26k area, which is verging on UK car + air-con prices)?
Old 11 December 1998, 12:08 PM
MartinK
Scooby Regular

Justy,
Lets not beat about the bush. The only reason you or any other dealer will not service grey imports is because IM threaten to take your franchise away if you do!

Even the latest Subaru computer diagnostic machines are able to work with the uprated engines (unlike the old ones).

I will tell you where I get my car serviced if you tell me which dealer you are!
Old 13 December 1998, 06:46 PM
Miles Ashworth
Scooby Newbie

Justy,
Any reason for changing your author name to robw ? Your still sounding as if your quoting direct from head office. I note under your profile you put your hobbies as "truth".
Old 01 January 1999, 10:26 PM
stu k
Scooby Newbie

well i get mine serviced at david hendry cars in malmsbury wilts, very good, with wrx parts in stock , very professional.
Old 02 January 1999, 02:00 PM
tel
Scooby Regular

I have just imported an STI V Type R direct from Japan, the reason I have done this is because I wanted a 2 door coupe, IM Group do not think there is a demand for them, how wrong they are! So I had no option than to import, my local dealer is now saying that Subaru Japan will not supply parts without a VIN No.,and if Japanese origin, proof it is still in Japan.
I could have quite easily ordered another make of car but decided to stick with a Subaru, having also owned a UK turbo, and this is the sort of crap we have to contend with by being loyal to a manufacturer. As a cohesive bunch of WRX owners we should take this to the Office of Fair Trading as this is restrictive and selective and Unfair.
As for the original thread Buy a WRX.
Old 02 January 1999, 02:59 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

I couldnt agree more with Tel. I think every UK WRX/STI owner would prefer to buy from a franchised dealer but are not given the option. I wonder how many of the 22B went to genuine customers and not dealer principles/Prodrive/IM members of staff. Still with Mitsubishi getting their act together and giving the customer what he wants how long before some loyal Subaru owners switch side ?. I dont need some 22B lookalike just the STI V 4 door or even a std WRX. Still its nice to see the dealers/IM are rolling in it and dont need extra work for Service departments that the Greys could provide. I've also heard that IM will do a high powered version shortly but will they relax the rules on servicing Greys then. Still dont let Prodrive touch it seems they cant sort out a 22B's suspension and sell Power Packs that net minimal power increases. Maybe they just need to concentrate on helping Richard Burns or are they getting a backhander from Ford to still help McRae (Prodrive prepare BTCC cars for Ford).

Rant over.
Bottom line I would love to buy an STI from IM and if they let us know their plans maybe some of us would hold fire before ordering a Grey. Still bye bye Terzo hello STI.
Old 02 January 1999, 03:34 PM
Mark Coleman
Scooby Regular

Here's a good one for you.

Just been speaking to a guy in Japan about buying an STi V. If I want one I can transfer the funds direct to Subaru Japan !!

It seems they will gladly accept orders knowing that car is for UK import.

This parts scare is probably to protect 3rd party cloning, who knows.

I can't see them being able to administer it successfully anyway