Notices

Jack and Axle Stand Mounting Points

Search this Thread

Old 01 July 2003, 11:10 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Please forgive the basic question, but I've never used anything fancier than the scissor jack in the boot, so just don't have a clue!

Where are safe sensible jacking points on a classic shape Impreza? Looking under the sills there seems to be one very obvious platform towards the back wheels which I presume is suitable - am I correct, and what about the front?

Do the same points apply for locating axle stands, or do these literally go somewhere under the axles? If so, where?

Are bottle jacks worth the bother? Look much more compact and easy to keep in the car than a small trolley jack, but are they any better than the scissor thing?

Cheers folks,

Ben
Old 01 July 2003, 11:43 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd buy a trolley jack.. keep the sissor jack in the car for emergencies and put the trolley jack in the garage. No point carrying all the weight of a bottle jack..
trolley jack is safer..

You can then jack on the front toeing eyes just under the front bumper.. only if the trolley jack has a nice cup on the top so it cannot slip off..

Just behind the engine on the little platform in the middle (where the under tray bolts into)

Rear - use the diff.. just put a bit of wood on the jack so as not to scratch the diff...

Axle stands I found the best place was the anti roll bar mounts..
wella! :

JGM
Old 01 July 2003, 11:49 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a trolley jack, on the front I go just behind the front wheels on the back end of the chassis leg, then put the axle stand under the rear bolt that holds the front subframe in, jack on the rear diff, and from memory there's somewhere just infront of the wheels I think I use, I would not jack on the towing eye, in my opinion it's too far forward, and makes the car 'twist' too much, but hey, each to their own I guess!
Try never to jack just one corner more than you need to get a stand under it, I think that if you try and go too high in one hit, the car can become unstable, and certainly could lead to twisting! next time you jack up just one carner, try opening a door, you'll see what I mean!
Old 01 July 2003, 11:58 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ron,

Eh it soon twists back LOL..

I only use the toeing eyes when in a rush..