Search this Thread

Old 12 October 2002, 01:27 PM
ScoobyDuck
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Scruff.

had exactly the same on my MY97.
it turned out to be the throttle position sensor that wasnt working right/ throttle not closing properly - so the ECU thinks youve got the throttle cracked open.
They replaced the whole throttle body under warrenty & that fixed it !
get them to look into it @ the service. basicly it shouldnt tick with NO throttle ( which is why u can now hear it when u turn off)

cheers
Steve
edited to add - only seriousness I found was, if it's in the ticking mode (mine didnt always do it!) and it was left standing still, idling for about 2-5 mins, the throttle no longer responded as a throttle!!! it would just blip then return to idle, then blip etc etc ! weird! but an OFF/ON of the ignition was good enuf to cure it ! (which it did in ALL cases!!!)
(OFF/ON ignition should be longer than 3 seconds, as the ECU holds power for a few seconds after the key is OFF'ed!)

[Edited by ScoobyDuck - 12/10/2002 1:30:25 PM]
Old 10 December 2002, 12:38 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Question

Over the past few days I have had an annoying knocking noise from the boost solenoid, this happened about a year ago but dissapeared a day later. It has now resurfaced and is still there a week later. The car is due for a service so its not overfilling with oil thats causing it. Also the car is idleing about 150 to 200 rpm more than usual but the funny thing is that it is going much quicker than usual. This may be down to the extra cold weather but it just seems to have happened at the same time. Also when i turn off the engine the solenoid keeps ticking/knocking for about 2 to 3 seconds afterwards.

Anyone any ideas on the cause and is it serious?

Thanks in advance

Scruff
Old 10 December 2002, 01:53 PM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Any idea on cost to fix the problem as mine is out of warranty.

Alan
Old 11 December 2002, 12:42 PM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hijack.

I've noticed that my boost solenoid constantly clicks with the engine off and the ingnition at the run position. Is this normal? Reason i ask is my car run's like a one legged horse with a hangover and keeps stalling. Could the boost solenoid or throttle position sensor have anything to do with it?
Old 16 December 2002, 10:12 AM
Scruff
Scooby Regular

Problem solved now, I dumped two bottles of Millers and some Super unleaded and after a couple of days it is gone. I reckon it was the throttle position sensor as it was overfuelling big time.

Alan