Flat Battery WRX 2006

Search this Thread

Old 07 July 2019, 11:12 PM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Flat Battery WRX 2006

Hi to all,

Just looking for some advice, my car hasn't been started for 3 weeks now, went to start tonight, but nothing, not
even any iginition lights on dash, seems totally dead. Just thought was a bit strange as weather has been very mild here
in the South West. Had to open car with the key, as alarm totally flat.

Do folks think it is just the battery, or could it be something else draining the battery, can the alarm do this?

Going to take battery off of car tomorrow evening, and trickle charge it.

Could the battery be totally useless now, the previous owner had a new battery fitted in January this year, its a Halfords one.

Has anyone had similar issues like this? it just seems odd as I understand in the colder weather this would obviously happen.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated

Regards

Marc
Old 07 July 2019, 11:35 PM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Also once disconnecting the battery, will the remap adjustments be lost, or will they still be in the memory of the ECU?
Old 08 July 2019, 11:54 AM
Martin typeR
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I found leaving my impreza for longer than 3 weeks would mean a flat battery, after 2 weeks it would be sluggish to start

The alarm will drain the battery
Old 08 July 2019, 07:10 PM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by Martin typeR
I found leaving my impreza for longer than 3 weeks would mean a flat battery, after 2 weeks it would be sluggish to start

The alarm will drain the battery
Thankyou for the heads up, I have read up regarding the smart alternator, I don't drive my car that much, and didn't realise even in warmer weather the battery
will loose charge. Currently removed battery, and got it on charge, the battery was pretty flat.

Will drive with sidelights on now, and heater blower on number 1 setting. The car is quite safe where I live, and have thought of just locking the car with the key.

Regards

Marc
Old 09 July 2019, 08:31 AM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

My 2008 hatch will reliably last about 2 weeks without a battery charge. That's in the garage, keys out, not locked and with a new battery.
I hava a variety of intelligent chargers for my cars that can be left permanently connected. Aldi occasionally sell them. Another good source is old caravan power mains units. They connect to the leisure battery permanently.
Old 11 July 2019, 09:49 PM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Thankyou for your help folks, much appreciated. I have an old charger that my Dad gave me a few years back, just put
battery back in car, and she fired up straightaway

Need to take the car for a blast once a week now to keep battery healthy, and as said invest in a good charger for over the
winter periods .

Thankyou
Old 12 July 2019, 11:49 AM
Martin typeR
Scooby Regular

No problem Marc

That's exactly what i do taking it for a drive every week or so and put it on a trickle charger over winter
Old 12 July 2019, 12:11 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

No problem Marc

That's exactly what i do taking it for a drive every week or so and put it on a trickle charger over winter
Not wishing to be pedant but...
A trickle charger charges a battery with a low (trickle) current. They take a long time to replenish a flat battery but, if left on permanently, will overcharge it. They were made before intelligent chargers were available and could be left on overnight then taken off. These days I've seen them built into transformer plugs.
We need intelligent or controlled chargers. They use electronics to charge and then maintain a battery. They can be left permanently connected. Look for that on the label.
Old 13 July 2019, 11:55 AM
Martin typeR
Scooby Regular

You are right John i should have said intelligent charger, a ctek mxs 5.0 set to small battery type (as i have a spec c) to be precise.
Old 14 July 2019, 09:13 AM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Smile

You are right John i should have said intelligent charger, a ctek mxs 5.0 set to small battery type (as i have a spec c) to be precise.
That's the smart charger that I shall be buying, looks a great piece of kit, the only problem I have is that my car isn't parked right outside my house at the moment, so will have
to probably remove the battery in the winter, bit of a pain though, having to put back every time I want to use the car.
Old 14 July 2019, 12:33 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Marky1968
That's the smart charger that I shall be buying, looks a great piece of kit, the only problem I have is that my car isn't parked right outside my house at the moment, so will have
to probably remove the battery in the winter, bit of a pain though, having to put back every time I want to use the car.
Essential equipment for spec C owners! I'd say that a flat battery after 3 weeks no use is fairly normal on any Impreza, especially with journeys of less than 30 mins.
Old 15 July 2019, 02:15 PM
John 37
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Marky1968
the only problem I have is that my car isn't parked right outside my house at the moment, so will have
Have you thought of a solar panel? Caravaners and boat folks use them a lot. As it's for maintenance only, a small one will do.
Another option is a battery master switch. An isolated battery will hold charge for months. If it doesn't, replace it. A master switch is also an anti theft help, especially if it's hidden or the type with a removable key. Downside the radio loses its memories.
Old 27 July 2019, 12:07 PM
Marky1968
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by John 37
Have you thought of a solar panel? Caravaners and boat folks use them a lot. As it's for maintenance only, a small one will do.
Another option is a battery master switch. An isolated battery will hold charge for months. If it doesn't, replace it. A master switch is also an anti theft help, especially if it's hidden or the type with a removable key. Downside the radio loses its memories.
Thanks for your help and advice, I am thinking of a car battery disconnect switch, as you say it will save the battery and I am not too worried about the radio, as I don't use it that much,
as like to listen to the sound of the engine