Notices

P0011 & P0021 codes, FreeSSM shows no cam Advance

Search this Thread

Old 14 June 2019, 10:39 AM
TheOldDark
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0011 & P0021 codes, FreeSSM shows no cam Advance

So my 2008 Impreza WRX keeps throwing p0011 and P0021 codes, now I have already read through numerous posts about this issue and I am aware of what the codes mean and what normally causes it for most people. For me however this is on a freshly rebuilt engine that has only done maybe 1000 miles and the oil and oil filter where changed about 250 miles ago (Bosch filter and Castrol Edge 5w30 oil).

The CEL comes on after 2 cylcles/journeys and stays on and the codes always come together never just one or the other. I have double checked all of the oil line filter meshes and they were all removed when the engine was rebuilt so no issues there, I also pulled the turbo off to check for any issues but that is still mint with no shaft play what so ever so I'm not to worried about it being an oil issue.

Today I connected my laptop via a diagnostics cable and FreeSSM so that I could see what was actually happening. Interestingly Freessm reports virtually no cam advance at any point, the maximum advance that it recorded was 2 degrees on one trip and then 4 on another but the OCV duty cycles varied with RPM/Load as I would expect. FreeSSM also shows the error as being Cam System Performance as oppose to over advancing. I have replaced both Solenoids to confirm that they are not the cause but no luck there however i did notice that after changing the the solenoids, Freessm didn't seem to report any change in the OCV duty cycle it now just seems to remain constant

Any thoughts on what it could be?

Last edited by TheOldDark; 14 June 2019 at 10:49 AM.
Old 14 June 2019, 10:58 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...cs-repair.html
Old 14 June 2019, 11:23 AM
TheOldDark
Scooby Newbie

So you reckon the AVCS intake cam gears themselves could be the issue? Looking through that thread the consensus seems to be to replace them not to try and repair them, is there a way to see if they are faulty without just replacing them and hoping for the best?
Old 14 June 2019, 12:00 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

The ocv for the avcs has more than likely got a bit of debris jamming the plunger.
Seen this quite a few times.

Sorry just read you have already changed them.

Last edited by Smithys STI; 14 June 2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 14 June 2019, 12:15 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

First check the neutral position switch is working, if not you get no avc's, but as I stated on the other thread once they have been disturbed they don't like it, especially if you have had bearing failure, over torqued retaining bolt, not held correctly when removing & refitting, not correctly aligned with the dowel on fitting. all mess them up, the inlets are more resilient than exhausts.

What was there static timing when fitted, usually 129 to 131 deg btdc ?
Old 14 June 2019, 12:52 PM
TheOldDark
Scooby Newbie

So I setup the neutral position switch monitoring in Freessm and it does seem to be working, it changes from on to off when you take it out of neutral. Not sure what the static timing was set at unfortunately as the work wasn't done by me so I assume it would have been what ever is standard.
Old 14 June 2019, 01:18 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOldDark
So I setup the neutral position switch monitoring in Freessm and it does seem to be working, it changes from on to off when you take it out of neutral. Not sure what the static timing was set at unfortunately as the work wasn't done by me so I assume it would have been what ever is standard.
I would suggest you look at the pulleys, as they are stuck, if you knew the static timing it would give you the info to see if they are starting out in the correct position.
Old 14 June 2019, 02:33 PM
TheOldDark
Scooby Newbie

Well I will probably pull the intake cam gears off and have a crack at cleaning them, if it makes any difference (better or worse) I'll buy new ones and see if that solves the issue