Notices

Turbo - An eBay Special

Old 27 April 2019, 12:16 PM
scatho
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo - An eBay Special

Afternoon all, I'm looking for a turbo so I can upgrade my TD04 on my bug WRX. Trawling ebay for a TD05 or VF etc, I came across some real cheap TD05s. Brand new for around £140. Now I know, buy cheap, buy twice. If it lasts 6 months, then whats another £140 and an hour to swap it for another new one?

Has anyone fitted one of these, any feedback? Are they absolute garbage as the price would suggest?

I will probably find a good used VF35 or similar to fit, but I'm just curious about these cheap eBay specials.
Old 27 April 2019, 02:17 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

The fake td05 exhaust housing I have on the shelf has cracks along the wastegate hole, and comparing it to a genuine mitsu housing the cast shape looks slightly different.

Having said that, I don't know if the shape diff would make much difference.

Also, if its 150 and lasts for 1.5 years,then that's actually pretty decent value, I think. I suspect what will be worst on the turbo are the bearings etc, but they can be easily rebuilt. Also, for 150 I'd expect it probably to not be balanced as well.

I'm in the process of building myself a hybrid turbo using genuine mitsu parts for the cartridge and exhaust wheel, but with a billet kinugawa compressor wheel (and maybe housing).

If you do get one, could you post the after map results? I think it would benefit the community.