Notices

Power steering pump failed sucking in air

Old 19 February 2019, 09:26 PM
porter555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering pump failed sucking in air

Hi all, hoping someone can shed some light on this. My 2003 STI power steering pump is sucking in air and I cannot work out where from! I dropped the engine back in the weekend and everything else is running absolutely fine. However the steering refuses to run right.

I am well aware of the rubber oem pipes hardening and they fail to seal again using spring clips, so ive changed all these for jubilee clips already, I cannot physically see how air can be getting in this way.
Ive also replaced the o-ring banjo bolts on the hardline with genuine parts from ICP.

However air is still getting in the system somewhere, even after bleeding with the engine off first. The whole rack and wheels were shaking at one point, could this have damaged the pump internally?
A good visual inspection of the pump shows a very small amount of fluid collecting on top of the block behind the pump, but this could be overflow from removing the hardline. Nothing visually underneath I can see astray.
Any help on the pump itself would be appreciated. After 15 seconds of the engine being on, it gives off that classic power steering drone noise, is this a sign of air being pulled in or failure?

Thanks in advance
Old 20 February 2019, 07:01 AM
Andy RB5
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

May sound daft but have you put enough fluid back in? I changed my power steering fluid last year and topped up to the markers on the dipstick and was having the same symptoms as you - couldn't get it to bleed, foamy fluid etc. I had it apart a few times to re-seat orings etc as I thought it was drawing in air, but no joy. Then I stuck a bit more fluid in and it solved it!
Old 20 February 2019, 08:31 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check the fitting of the high pressure hose, where it comes from the pump. There is an orientation lug on it. If it's in the in the wrong place then PS fluid will seep past no matter how tightly done up it is.
Clean up the fluid as best you can then run the car and watch carefully for any drips.
Old 20 February 2019, 09:37 PM
porter555
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely look at both of those tomorrow. I have ordered a new o ring for the elbow bit, as checked this and it was very perished looking. Popped a non genuine one on this afternoon that I had on the shelf and it’s improved massively, hardly any bubbles in the system now but a very slight small vibration when turning the wheel. Hopefully the genuine o ring when I get it could be the answer.
when you say the high pressure hose needs fitting at a particular angle, can you elaborate slightly? Not read that anywhere yet.
Do you guys bleed with engine off and cold fluid first yeah?
Thanks
Old 22 February 2019, 12:50 PM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure if it's the same on all subarus, but on my twinscroll legacy the hose had a tab on the pump side, about 7.5mm square. If this wasn't in the right place it was possible to do up the bolt so it felt and looked tight, but PS fluid could still get past.
In the end I used a dremmel to cut it off as i'd had enough.