Notices

Weird noise when slowing/turning left at low speeds

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2018, 01:09 AM
Steamtrainmatt
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise when slowing/turning left at low speeds

Got a really strange noise on my wagon. It’s a sort of medium pitched humming/whirring as I’m slowing down to a stop, and it’s even worse when I’m turning left slowly, eg turning onto the town high street. However it almost disappears when turning right doing the same. At first I thought it may be the new disks and pads, but it’s not the same noise and it does it with breaking but also if I coast to a stop or round a left hand bend. Weird thing is it doesn’t do it over say 20mph. Thoughts were possible front wheel bearing but I can’t feel or hear any play or noise with wheels jacked up. Can’t understand why it happens only at slower speeds, I’d have thought a rotational noise should get worse the faster you go. Anyone any ideas?
Old 29 December 2018, 07:58 AM
mrmarc
Scooby Regular

I once had a similar noise on a bug sti, turned out to be the downpipe heat shield had come loose. It was removed and no further issues..
Definitely worth checking all the sheilds around the car.
Old 29 December 2018, 09:23 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it a metalic noise or softer sounding? Where does it sound like it comes from?

Initial list of things based on what you said i think would be, some you have mentioned:

Brake discs and pads (wear indicator?)

Brake dirt shield behind the disc is it touching the disc?

Wheel bearing, but usually that would be when driving straight too.

Wheel touching something like a wheel arch liner?

Can you get a recording of it maybe?
Old 29 December 2018, 09:27 AM
Bazil_SW
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah another thought, have you checked the oil level in the transmission? Rereading your OP, about coasting to a stop sparked that idea.

Maybe try coasting down with a combination of in gear out of gear and with and without clutch depressed.

Last edited by Bazil_SW; 29 December 2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 29 December 2018, 01:04 PM
Steamtrainmatt
Scooby Newbie

Hi guys thanks for the replies. Best way to describe the noise is tyre noise, maybe how they sound on those ****ty concrete sections of motorway, or how a new set of pads sounds while bedding in, a sort of hmmmmmmmm noise. Know it’s hard to describe a noise really. It’s not metallic and it’s not a rubbing noise, but I did check for any arch/trim rubbing. Checked heat shields, all ok. Have had all wheels off and spun, and checked for play, nothing except pad noise. It’s definitly rotational, braking does accelerate the noise but not make it worse or better, I would describe it as a motor winding down to a stop. And it’s made worse with any left steering attitude, but the same or slightly better if the wheels are facing anything towards the right from centre. I’ve had all new disks and pads, and both rear bearings replaced last month. I’m thinking now it may just be a front bearing just showing the first signs of going, and an obsessive ear! Only other thought is the bearing that supports the driveshaft on the front diff coming out of the gearbox, and when the wheels are turned the difference in speed between the left and right accentuates the noise, but I think that’s quite unlikely really. May have to put up with it for a bit and see if it gets worse and easier to diagnose
Old 29 December 2018, 01:06 PM
Steamtrainmatt
Scooby Newbie

Also there’s no splash guards behind the front disks, they’ve been removed by previous owner, and the g/box oil is new and at the correct level. Clutch in/out and gears makes no difference