Notices

Priming oil system

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2018, 05:41 PM
emlclcy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Priming oil system

I've an ej205 engine that's been sat a number of years. It's had the oil drained and the crank has not seized, turned it about 10deg. Is there a way to prime the oil system without spining the crank? The old rover v8 engines you could pull the dizzy and spin the oil pump
Old 18 September 2018, 01:15 PM
emlclcy
Scooby Regular

I've looked at a schematic of the oil flow and it goes from the sump pickup to the pump then to the outer part of the oil filter then through the centre of the oil filter to the rest of the oil galleries.
So as I wont be starting the engine for a month or two I could make a header tank for the engine oil above the engine, then with an adapter in place of the oil filter, back fill the sump relying on the clearances in the oil pump, I could leave it like that for a few weeks. Then if that works, fill the oil filter and spin the engine over without plugs and with some oil (someone suggested diesel) down the bores.
think it might work?
cheers
carl
Old 19 September 2018, 01:47 AM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is my method of priming after oil changes and initial start up after rebuild.

Fill the oil filter with recommend oil, this oil will be absorbed after a minute or two and will need topping up a couple times.
Follow oil filter fitting and fill engine with oil.
Disconnect crank position sensor (above crank pulley) and crank engine until satisfied oil has circulated or pressure gauge shows oil pressure. Reconnect crank position sensor and with a bit of luck will fire up.

Edit: just re read your post, I'm not aware of anyone priming the pump before start up. Probably because the oil pump is driven off the crank. The pressure relief valve can be taken out and I guess filled with oil to prime the pump but have never heard of anyone needing to do so.

Last edited by edsel; 19 September 2018 at 01:56 AM.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:05 AM
emlclcy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by edsel
This is my method of priming after oil changes and initial start up after rebuild.

Fill the oil filter with recommend oil, this oil will be absorbed after a minute or two and will need topping up a couple times.
Disconnect crank position sensor (above crank pulley) and crank engine until satisfied oil has circulated or pressure gauge shows oil pressure. Reconnect crank position sensor and with a bit of luck will fire up.

Edit: just re read your post, I'm not aware of anyone priming the pump before start up. Probably because the oil pump is driven off the crank. The pressure relief valve can be taken out and I guess filled with oil to prime the pump but have never heard of anyone needing to do so.
Interesting idea about using the pressure relief valve, ive not take the oil pump apart, is it the sort of diagonal part of the casting? just a piston spring and screw?
This would be the idea place to pump oil into the oil galleries, both priming the pump and getting the shell bearings wet.
My engine has been standing for about 6-7years untouched
Old 19 September 2018, 12:20 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Unless the oil is filled under pressure there would be little chance of it getting to the crank. The only way to be sure the bearing surfaces are lubricated would be to remove the oil pan and windage tray and lube with an oil can.

Last edited by edsel; 19 September 2018 at 12:28 PM.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:20 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The oil pump has a built in reservoir to hold the oil in the pump ( the 2 chambers at the bottom of the pump ) but after that amount of time being stood
and not turned over, you may have internal corrosion due to moisture on the bores,cam's etc.
Old 19 September 2018, 09:35 PM
emlclcy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by merlin24
The oil pump has a built in reservoir to hold the oil in the pump ( the 2 chambers at the bottom of the pump ) but after that amount of time being stood
and not turned over, you may have internal corrosion due to moisture on the bores,cam's etc.
yes i'm hoping its all okay. I turned the crank about 10 deg ant it didn't offer resistance. Its in a kit car so access is very limited so i'll make an adapter for where the oil filter goes and inject oil that way
Old 19 September 2018, 09:35 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by edsel

Why would prime after an oil change?
Old 19 September 2018, 11:44 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

After draining the oil why not? As the filter is fitted vertically under the engine that oil will be circulated before initial start up and oil pressure built up.
Essential, probably not. Good practice, definitely.
Old 20 September 2018, 08:34 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

That's the same scenario every time you start the engine though - all the oil has drained to the sump.
I can understand after a fresh engine build but no value when changing the oil. Won't do any harm but seems like a waste of time.
Old 20 September 2018, 08:40 AM
emlclcy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
That's the same scenario every time you start the engine though - all the oil has drained to the sump.
I can understand after a fresh engine build but no value when changing the oil. Won't do any harm but seems like a waste of time.
ive always primed the oil filter, pain in the *** on my transit van as its side on and you cant see. getting on for a pint of oil in a filter I recon.
back to the original post, as the engine is in a kit car, the timing cover is totally inaccessible so the plan now is to machine a 'filter' that I can pump oil into, this will hopefully push oil around the galleries and the pump, we'll see
Old 20 September 2018, 12:34 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Think your making a big deal over this if your worried as said fill oil filter plugs out and push it. Or turn over on starter. I'd be more worried over an old timing belt.

Last edited by 1509joe; 20 September 2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 20 September 2018, 01:02 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by emlclcy
ive always primed the oil filter, pain in the *** on my transit van as its side on and you cant see. getting on for a pint of oil in a filter I recon.
back to the original post, as the engine is in a kit car, the timing cover is totally inaccessible so the plan now is to machine a 'filter' that I can pump oil into, this will hopefully push oil around the galleries and the pump, we'll see
You need to be very care full back priming oil systems, as the pick up pipe to oil pump will be empty, your filling the system from the pressure side, trapping air that normally gets let out through the system, you will end up not letting out the air & it not allowing it to pick oil up from the sump.
Old 21 September 2018, 12:24 PM
emlclcy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
You need to be very care full back priming oil systems, as the pick up pipe to oil pump will be empty, your filling the system from the pressure side, trapping air that normally gets let out through the system, you will end up not letting out the air & it not allowing it to pick oil up from the sump.
not sure I understand what you are saying. If I pressure fill from the oil filter side, resistance should be met by the oil pump one way and the rest of the bearings the other. The oil pump has clearances so oil will pass through slowly filling the pickup strainer and then the sump. as there has been no oil in the engine for a number of years the pickup strainer would be empty at the moment