Notices

Going from 1.6 to 2 bar

Search this Thread

Old 17 September 2018, 07:16 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Going from 1.6 to 2 bar

Hi all, I have a question regarding my current setup and potential changes.

My blob sti currently runs a 2.1 closed deck block, mahle 2618 pistons, 14mm studs and jdm avcs heads. She made just shy of 470bhp on vpower using an FP turbo. Fuelling is all safe and injectors have headroom, but at the time of mapping the map sensor restricted boost to 1.6 bar.

Reason for my question is that the torque has always been what I would class as low, 400 lb/ft. What I'm curious to know is if I change map sensor and have the map redone to 2 bar what sort of gains would I see (approximate). The engine and setup are more than capable, and have run this power for over a year now with no issues, little oil usage etc.

Would be interested to see if anyone has a dyno sheet for a 1.6 bar and 2 bar map on a car with this sort of power range.

Thanks, Rich
Old 17 September 2018, 07:27 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

No graphs but more boost equals more aggressiveness, i.e. Torque. Add more timing aswell and should make it even better.
you should gain a bit of power too but don't expect loads depending on turbo if big enough to flow.
Old 17 September 2018, 08:38 PM
rickybobby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ah thanks Busta, exactly what I was looking for. More than happy with the current bhp as it performed better than expected, and full boost is made at 4000rpm so its very driveable, I just feel like it needs more torque to make it more suitable to the roads around here as she rarely sees a dual carriageway or motorway. I think driving the wifes Audi diesel is what has swung me in this direction as thats a great b road drive when you're in the mood.
Old 17 September 2018, 10:53 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

You want get anymore torque any earlier simply by raising boost.

only way to increase that now would be better fuel or eth/meth blend.

you will make more torque possibly when it makes the boost but obv that will be later on in rev range than it is now, even if only slightly.

Id imagine at the spooling up point your tuner has already tried his best on given fuel so only gains will be after its made 1.6bar.