Notices

Does anyone have a SC42 dyno graph?

Search this Thread

Old 11 September 2018, 05:05 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
Andy F and Paul Finch have both said 450bhp max on std rods.
Paul had a built long engine for sale, think it was earlier this year, but the question was asked about safe power level and he said 380hp because of standard rods, perhaps they were wrx one's ?
Trev
Old 11 September 2018, 05:07 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
Paul had a built long engine for sale, think it was earlier this year, but the question was asked about safe power level and he said 380hp because of standard rods, perhaps they were wrx one's ?
Trev
Yeh I corrected my post earlier mate, can't find my conversation with Paul so can't be sure. So retracted it.

I found a statement by Andy F to that effect though by his own hand.

I agree, I wouldn't second guess Paul.
Old 11 September 2018, 05:14 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts

Yeh I corrected my post earlier mate, can't find my conversation with Paul so can't be sure. So retracted it.

Paul is the one that said 380bhp to me.

it's confusing as there is a few people on here that are running 400+, even 440 has bee run on them.

as mine have the arp rod bolts surely that would make them a little bit better?
Would reducing the rpm limit save then even further? Peak power has gone by then anyway.

can you tell I'm trying to talk myself into it that they will be ok lol
Old 11 September 2018, 05:34 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its torque thats the issue not BHP - you could run 500bhp and only 300lbft torque with no issues.
Old 11 September 2018, 05:47 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I know the 2litre sti rods are good for 450 but of course there isn't the torque
Old 11 September 2018, 08:34 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Just for the earlier query Blouch and Scoobyclinic are same turbos,difference between these two is just exhaust housing Blouch using 8cm/10cm and Scoobyclinic using 7cm, they have a special deal with them which if you ask Blouch they will direct you to sc, I don't think they will make the 1 off for customers considering they do them all for sc, and I think if you did with customs charges and delivery, you wouldn't be far off sc price (they obviously get them cheaper in bulk and make their mark up like any shop.

But here's the turbos
SC50 is Blouch Dominator 3.0XT-R
SC46 is Blouch Dominator 2.5XT-R Polka Pickle
SC42 is Blouch Dominator 1.5XT-R
SC40 is Blouch 20GXT Billet
etc.
Old 11 September 2018, 10:09 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by rsjohn
Its torque thats the issue not BHP - you could run 500bhp and only 300lbft torque with no issues.
you need Honda Rpm's to make any decent power with poor torque.

they all come hand in hand

rpms dnt suit the 2.5 much do they ?

Cant limit torque without limiting power.

Old 19 November 2018, 12:32 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Been offered a 2 year old SC42 billet for £1000 today that's been running 430bhp.

Does that sound expensive or a good deal?
Old 19 November 2018, 01:29 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Been offered a 2 year old SC42 billet for £1000 today that's been running 430bhp.

Does that sound expensive or a good deal?
https://www.scoobynet.com/subaru-par...let-turbo.html

Here's what I managed to get from off here for a comparison,

From what i read they do not come with metal caged bearings standard and this is their weak point,
Old 19 November 2018, 01:36 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Cool. Thanks for the link Smurf. I recall reading that thread to be honest. It'll be Rich fitting it to the car if I get it. lol.

There are a couple of SC46 turbos floating around at the moment for £700 and just over, one looks ok, one looks horrible. Was trying to gauge the price against these as the SC42 units hardly ever come up for sale.

It's a risk I guess. At least the one you bought was essentially 0 miles after the rebuild. God knows how many miles the one is I'm looking at.
Old 19 November 2018, 02:06 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Cool. Thanks for the link Smurf. I recall reading that thread to be honest. It'll be Rich fitting it to the car if I get it. lol.

There are a couple of SC46 turbos floating around at the moment for £700 and just over, one looks ok, one looks horrible. Was trying to gauge the price against these as the SC42 units hardly ever come up for sale.

It's a risk I guess. At least the one you bought was essentially 0 miles after the rebuild. God knows how many miles the one is I'm looking at.
ive seen those sc46 turbos on ebay and yeah 1 looks ****ing terrible. one of them was listed on here a week or so back and look ok, i guess if you get it for around £600 then spend £500 having it upgraded/checked over then that would be better than an sc42 and if im correct you wouldnt need as much boost to make the power you want compared to an sc42.
Old 19 November 2018, 02:21 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
ive seen those sc46 turbos on ebay and yeah 1 looks ****ing terrible. one of them was listed on here a week or so back and look ok, i guess if you get it for around £600 then spend £500 having it upgraded/checked over then that would be better than an sc42 and if im correct you wouldnt need as much boost to make the power you want compared to an sc42.
Sort of and sort of not. I'm not trying to get 450bhp, I want somewhere over 400 in between the two. The SC46 is overkill for that level and will take more to spin up compared to its smaller brother SC42 unit. Therefore for my level the SC42 billet would certainly give less lag and be a generally better option in my opinion.
Old 19 November 2018, 03:16 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Sort of and sort of not. I'm not trying to get 450bhp, I want somewhere over 400 in between the two. The SC46 is overkill for that level and will take more to spin up compared to its smaller brother SC42 unit. Therefore for my level the SC42 billet would certainly give less lag and be a generally better option in my opinion.
ah my bad i thought you were after 450bhp................i will keep my cake hole shut
Old 19 November 2018, 03:16 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

hahaha.

I want to be somewhere shy of that so I don't destroy my engine asap.
Old 19 November 2018, 04:08 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

1k is decent price for 42 aslong as its the newer black housing/front.
both mine have sold for 1350 is tip top low mileage condition.
an sc42 is better that a 46 in the spool and drivability department.
46 barley make 460 tbh only good speced cars, loads of 42s have gone over 420 though.
i know which one id go for.,..
Old 19 November 2018, 04:14 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Thanks Busta. I have a feeling it's the older design with silver housing as the previous owner told me it was a couple of years old now.
Old 19 November 2018, 04:14 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
1k is decent price for 42 aslong as its the newer black housing/front.
both mine have sold for 1350 is tip top low mileage condition.
an sc42 is better that a 46 in the spool and drivability department.
46 barley make 460 tbh only good speced cars, loads of 42s have gone over 420 though.
i know which one id go for.,..
think i will be going for the precision or the md321v next year, heard too many bad things about the sc turbos to put my trust in them
Old 19 November 2018, 08:38 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Thanks Busta. I have a feeling it's the older design with silver housing as the previous owner told me it was a couple of years old now.
must be a lot more than a couple of years old then, the black front ones have been out for a good few years now.

and the bad caged bearing problems is more than likely on the older units also. I haven't seen or hard of a faulty black housing one failing or breaking.

for the power band of 400-450 I think the sc42 is probably the best drivable turbo out there bar non. Probably why I've had 2 and swear by the drivability of them. On/off throttle is excellent on them too.

I might get another
Old 19 November 2018, 08:42 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
think i will be going for the precision or the md321v next year, heard too many bad things about the sc turbos to put my trust in them
depending how you want your car to drive, both them turbos are no comparison on the drivability of the 42! But PT and md321v will obviously make more power. But power is nothing without drivability, so you need to decide on power output and how you want car to drive and what's more important.

if going for power the gt30 0.63 billet is a great unit for outright power and spool.
Old 19 November 2018, 08:54 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

depending how you want your car to drive, both them turbos are no comparison on the drivability of the 42! But PT and md321v will obviously make more power. But power is nothing without drivability, so you need to decide on power output and how you want car to drive and what's more important.

if going for power the gt30 0.63 billet is a great unit for outright power and spool.
my last Impreza (blob sti) had a zen built 2.5 and a gt3071r @ 436bhp and it was awesome, I'm guessing a .63 would spool better but not make as much power
Old 19 November 2018, 09:17 PM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

must be a lot more than a couple of years old then, the black front ones have been out for a good few years now.

and the bad caged bearing problems is more than likely on the older units also. I haven't seen or hard of a faulty black housing one failing or breaking.

for the power band of 400-450 I think the sc42 is probably the best drivable turbo out there bar non. Probably why I've had 2 and swear by the drivability of them. On/off throttle is excellent on them too.

I might get another
Where would you get one? I think SC have stopped doing them.

Out of interest have you experience of other turbos to back up your statement above? Genuine question.
Old 19 November 2018, 09:34 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

My SC42 which has been tinkered with showed 487bhp on Andy Forrests guestimator with 30% Ethanol & 466bhp with 20%

was 427bhp with v-power alone

Graphs are on my thread cam post 2moro.
stock 2.0 blob sti engine. Stock ecu.

Old 19 November 2018, 09:41 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Blouch still make both housings to be fair so cant see that playing a part.

I believe the rebuilt one i bought failed due to sooking in debris so i cant blame the bearings on that one.

Still see some black housed ones being posted as having upgraded to metal cages in similar way mine was so cant be that way stock i would assume.

Wish i had tried mine before got sent away to see what difference it made
Old 20 November 2018, 07:05 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LewisScoob

Where would you get one? I think SC have stopped doing them.

Out of interest have you experience of other turbos to back up your statement above? Genuine question.
scoobyclinic really, I think they have a stock issue from supplier, best bet is to phone them and ask.
ive compared it to a precision (mate had one and a bit laggy for a point to point), mdx555 400 one (was the older version and tbh didn't seem to feel quick), md321h (again the older one and didn't feel exciting), I prefer the sc42 for the best all rounder as said above.
the sc42 seems angry when on boost and actually makes you grin so to speak. So just my opinion for that hp figure I'd choose it again without a doubt.
show me another turbo in that hp area.

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Blouch still make both housings to be fair so cant see that playing a part.

I believe the rebuilt one i bought failed due to sooking in debris so i cant blame the bearings on that one.

Still see some black housed ones being posted as having upgraded to metal cages in similar way mine was so cant be that way stock i would assume.

Wish i had tried mine before got sent away to see what difference it made
All the 'new' ones I've seen including the 36 all have the black front on, so I'm assuming it's a revised/ironed out one (remember the old 46 that have a design fault on the exhaust housing and used to crack? But then later that was redesigned hot side).
tbf I haven't really heard of the bearing issue to be that common apart from the odd folk saying it, and if it was an issue I'd of thought it would of been revised no? Driving on wot and then just switching engine off could be a culprit for that, but then that's down to driver.
Old 20 November 2018, 07:08 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Twin scroll sc42 ordered a couple of weeks ago.
Old 20 November 2018, 08:21 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

scoobyclinic really, I think they have a stock issue from supplier, best bet is to phone them and ask.
ive compared it to a precision (mate had one and a bit laggy for a point to point), mdx555 400 one (was the older version and tbh didn't seem to feel quick), md321h (again the older one and didn't feel exciting), I prefer the sc42 for the best all rounder as said above.
the sc42 seems angry when on boost and actually makes you grin so to speak. So just my opinion for that hp figure I'd choose it again without a doubt.

All the 'new' ones I've seen including the 36 all have the black front on, so I'm assuming it's a revised/ironed out one (remember the old 46 that have a design fault on the exhaust housing and used to crack? But then later that was redesigned hot side).
tbf I haven't really heard of the bearing issue to be that common apart from the odd folk saying it, and if it was an issue I'd of thought it would of been revised no? Driving on wot and then just switching engine off could be a culprit for that, but then that's down to driver.
Got to come down to temps if its the bearing cages that are at melting. Could be loads of things and like u say nothing to do with the bearings themselves
Old 20 November 2018, 08:46 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Got to come down to temps if its the bearing cages that are at melting. Could be loads of things and like u say nothing to do with the bearings themselves
like I say, I haven't seen a post or thread or anyone with this issue, only because someone says so.....so it must be a rare thing?
Old 21 November 2018, 08:58 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

like I say, I haven't seen a post or thread or anyone with this issue, only because someone says so.....so it must be a rare thing?
https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...0-old-hat.html

This is the latest time i can remember it mentioned on here, Post#3

Another guy commented that the early gt30 cores all use those type and have since changed,
Old 21 November 2018, 10:27 AM
LewisScoob
Scooby Regular

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks for the feedback
Old 21 November 2018, 04:18 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...0-old-hat.html

This is the latest time i can remember it mentioned on here, Post#3

Another guy commented that the early gt30 cores all use those type and have since changed,
thats a sc46 which i know had its own problems before, they dont have a dual bearing either, and as already said was due to high egt.
again I havnt seen a ‘sc42’ have the issue.
and if garret still use the plastic caged bearings then im sure there is no problem with them, but either high temps, stuff getting in, incorrect cooling for turbo, lack of oil circulation etc etc, it cant be a high percentage of issues or garret would of addressed it as garret are not a small brand with low sales figures.
and I believe its a nylon not plastic, dont under estimate the strength of nylon, infact a lot of turbos have a nylon carrier including the precision I believe.
dont get sucked in by 1 mans problems. When it becomes common then i can relate and agree and infact help you slate them lol.

Last edited by bustaMOVEs; 21 November 2018 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Does anyone have a SC42 dyno graph?