Notices

Swapping Seats 2005 WRX Blob Eye

Search this Thread

Old 12 August 2018, 07:54 PM
metafora
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Swapping Seats 2005 WRX Blob Eye

I recently procured a full set of leather seats for my 2005 WRX Blob Eye. They were suppose to just swap straight in without issues according to the seller.
However now I've come to do the job it turns out the driver side seat fixings are not the same and the seat won't line up with the bolt holes.
After some head scratching I realised I would have to swap the seat base frames over since I can't see any obvious way to adjust the fitting positions on the leather drivers side seat, (I may be missing something).

Anyhow I managed to remove most of the frame but came across a bolt that seems to be a Torx Star allen key type..I don't have any of these allen keys and will have to buy some.

Does anyone know the size I would need? I know they come in sets but I don't want to invest in a set and it doesn't have the correct size.

Link to pictures below, including the bolt in question.

https://imgur.com/a/Ieriv9J

The passenger side seat seems to go in without issue and looks quite swish.

Old 12 August 2018, 10:18 PM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

They are SL seats from a Hawkeye, no?
Old 12 August 2018, 10:44 PM
metafora
Scooby Regular

They are from an SL, maybe the Hawkeye, I'm no expert on the difference, looks like if I switch the base frame on the drivers side they should be good to go in most respects, aside from the front right screw hole positioning . Just stuck on what I need to get that Torx bolt off. Same bolt on both seats.

On closer inspection one of the other regular bolts on the frame of the leather drivers seat actually has its head sheared off. Which means the seat doesn't sit on the frame properly so another reason to change the frame. I missed that issue when I bought the seats and wonder if the buyer was aware. It's something you can only notice when you come to fit the seats. The thread of the bolt is still in the frame, unless that can be drilled out or removed in some way the frame is useless.

Last edited by metafora; 12 August 2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 13 August 2018, 09:14 AM
metafora
Scooby Regular

Any takers on the Torx size of the bolt in the picture?
Old 13 August 2018, 10:55 AM
TECHNOPUG
Scooby Regular

Received 96 Likes on 79 Posts

It'll be a 45 or 50.
Old 14 August 2018, 09:17 AM
boggissimo
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by metafora
I recently procured a full set of leather seats for my 2005 WRX Blob Eye. They were suppose to just swap straight in without issues according to the seller.
However now I've come to do the job it turns out the driver side seat fixings are not the same and the seat won't line up with the bolt holes.
I put SL seats in my blob WRX without any trouble, the bolt holes matched up fine. Maybe there's a difference between blob and hawk?
Old 16 August 2018, 10:07 PM
metafora
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
It'll be a 45 or 50.
Thanks, I got a set from Amazon for £6 it turned out to be a 45, did the job, bolt came out nice and easy.

Now I've just got to get the frame off the cloth seat and hope it fixes onto the leather seat without issues.

Old 16 August 2018, 10:17 PM
metafora
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by boggissimo
I put SL seats in my blob WRX without any trouble, the bolt holes matched up fine. Maybe there's a difference between blob and hawk?
If you look at the 4th and 5th pictures you can see how the fixing point for the front right is about an inch or so further to the front on the leather seat compared to the cloth seat and its not adjustable.

I've got the bottom frame of the leather seat off now and hopefully the frame from the cloth seat will come off as easily and will go on to the leather seat to allow me to bolt the seat in to the car.

Also strange how the front fixing points on both sets of seats passenger and drivers side are flaking paint and corroded slightly, but the rear fixing points on both sets are good as new.
Old 16 August 2018, 10:27 PM
metafora
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TECHNOPUG
They are SL seats from a Hawkeye, no?

Actually, I took a look back through my eBay purchase history, they were advertised as Hawkeye WRX STi Leather seats.

I got the full set, fronts and rear with door cards and the heated seat switches for £200 from a fellow in Glasgow.

My cloth seats are in excellent condition, I figure I'll claw back something from selling them on. Only issue I have now is the drivers seat won't have a frame but it'll be good for someone who wants to switch their existing cloth seat for a better one and dispose of their old one, that way they can reuse their existing frame.
Old 19 August 2018, 12:22 AM
metafora
Scooby Regular

I've got the full set of leather seats in. The passenger seat went in no trouble all the bolts lined up. The rear seats went in fine as well. It was just the driver side seat that was an issue.

I've put my cloth seats up for sale on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-Im...4AAOSwumFbeDYh

If anyone is interested on this forum contact me and I'll give a bit of a discount to members.