No boost and a sound like blowing over a blade of grass

Search this Thread

Old 11 August 2018, 08:29 AM
davey2012
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No boost and a sound like blowing over a blade of grass

Hi all
Not impreza related but just as relevant. I have a 2004/5 Forester STI (2.5)
A couple of months ago i was taking it to the track when all of a sudden i lost all power and just got a squeel from what i think/thought was the turbo spooling up.
I stripped it down and the turbo shaft had a small amount of play and there was oil going into the throttle body. So i rebuilt the turbo.
Fast forward to putting it all back together. The turbo is nice an tight with no play but spins nice a freely so all is ok with that, i couldnt see any cracks in either side of the turbo so it was all put back together, and as i ripped the stock turbo inlet pipe is tuck a new reinforced silicon unit in.
Thought i had it all sorted. The car started and idled fine, but as soon as i took it for a test drive all i got was the same noise that i had when a month or so previous went to the track and lost all power.
So it feels nothing has been fixed at all.
I have had the boost solenoid off and check that and its fine, the bov is fine and still working. I have done a bit of a diy pressure check on the inlet side of the turbo to check for boost leaks, i found one by the pipe from the bov back into the intake so that is now sorted.
But i have ran out of steam on it, i just cant find the issue i have been over everything twice and cant see or find an issue. I even had it down to TDR in warwick for them to have a quick look over it and they were baffled aswell. They took it out for a drive and said it drives fine and rpm build up is smooth but it feels like the engine is maybe being starved of air instead of a boost leak, i was told to check the up pipe for collapse but not sure if that could even happen, i could understand if it was a catted up pipe but i dont think it is, it has an O2 sensor in the up pipe but not temp sensor, so sure its not catted.

Anyway any help would be great as i am stumped, i think the next step would be to strip it all down again and check it again......

cheers in advance

Dave

Old 11 August 2018, 09:05 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just a quick one check your new silicone inlet pipe that you say you put on isn't collapsing in on itself
Old 11 August 2018, 09:26 AM
davey2012
Scooby Regular

Yeah, that looks pretty impossible to collapse, Its not one of these £250 mishimoto ones but it still reinforced and i cant crush it with my hands.
The issue i have is that it was working fine until one morning taking it to the track then all of a sudden lost all boost.
So still has same problem as when it initially broke.
cant for the life of me figure it out.
Old 11 August 2018, 10:32 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Split in the inlet pipe? Or in the boost pipe to the throttle body?
Old 11 August 2018, 10:48 AM
davey2012
Scooby Regular

Think i am going to have to strip it all back and build it backup again, and double check everything 3,4,5 times.
Old 12 August 2018, 02:40 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would definitely check the up pipe and its gaskets, I had similar symptoms on my v3 sti and it was a blowing up pipe. There was a high pitched wailing sound and lack of power when approaching boost
Old 12 August 2018, 09:30 PM
davey2012
Scooby Regular

Aye cheers I think I'm going to have to check it out.
just doing think a blowing up pipe could cause this much loss of power.
Old 13 August 2018, 04:17 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davey2012
Aye cheers I think I'm going to have to check it out.
just doing think a blowing up pipe could cause this much loss of power.
It can cause a significant loss of power from what I've heard, as a proportion of the the air being measured by the MAF in the intake is being lost to atmosphere which causes the engine to run terribly and in a potentially dangerous state. Mine was running weaker than a non turbo 2 litre before I got the uppipe replaced!