Notices

EGR Wiring Diagram / P0400 Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2018, 04:07 PM
Scoobydoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question EGR Wiring Diagram / P0400 Help!

Hello All!

The Story So far
My EML came on a couple months ago and I checked it with FreeSSM and the code P0400 popped up. First thing I did was take off he EGR and it was reeeeally clogged, so I cleaned it up with brake cleaner put it back on, flashed the code, ECU reset and it was all good.

2 weeks later (500 miles or so) the light came back on. I thought if the EGR itself was badly clogged, the pipes would probably also be bad and I wanted something to run through the system so I bought some Seafoam as well as taking off the EGR pipes and cleaning out what I could with a thin metal rod. This caused the light to turn off and all was good again for a couple of weeks. And the light returned (I did check the code and it was P0400 again). It actually returned under heavy acceleration so I am yet to test out if it only comes on under heavy acceleration, but I wanted to check that the EGR itself actually works. I have just taken off the valve and managed to manually move it with a flathead screwdriver and it springs back so it is not jammed shut and appears to be moving freely.

My Problem
I have a blobeye 03 1.6 Impreza (NA) and have been trying to find service manuals for this to obtain a wiring diagram for the EGR so I can connect 12V to see if the valve actuates (i.e if the solenoid works). I managed to find manuals for a bugeye 02 and an sti 04 but the wiring diagrams do not match the colours of the wires on my vehicle. Since there were only 6 pins and 2 wires I thought I would try out each combination manually to see if I could get the valve to actuate. I did this and nothing happened.

Info Required
So I would like to know if anyone on here has the wiring diagram for the EGR on an 03 Blob or knows which is the positive and negative terminal in the connectors. From my "testing" I cannot know for sure If my solenoid is faulty.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks
Old 09 August 2018, 07:23 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

MY03 Impreza European Workshop Manual (covers all engine variants)

http://jdmfsm.info/Auto/Japan/Subaru...anual%20EU.pdf
Old 16 August 2018, 06:09 PM
Scoobydoob
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Cheers for that Don! All the info I required was in that file.

Unfortunately (or fortunately...) I havent been able to find the root cause of my P0400 EML after running all the tests as per the diagnostic procedures. Its odd because I can see that the valve is working after using FreeSSM with the EGR channel on and the car running. I assume its carbon/sludge build up on the inner side of the intake or exhaust side of the EGR or tubing.

I'm going to take the tubing off once more, buy some intake cleaner and 1/2" brass wire brush they use for cleaning up drilled holes, and properly clean the tubing and hope this sorts it out