What will limit me first? V3 STI Remap

Search this Thread

Old 23 May 2018, 05:59 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb What will limit me first? V3 STI Remap

Hi All,

My V3 STI GF8 is getting an Andy Carr ESL remap at Autotecnica next month and I wanted to see what people's thoughts were on my spec and what might be easy upgrades to give me more performance from the remap. I plan to go MAFless. Engine wise I currently have;

-EJ207 2 litre shortblock, V3 STI Heads
-Harvey Trick Up-pipe
-Samco turbo inlet pipe
-Forge Recirculating DV

-Walbro 255 to be installed
-Standard VF23 Turbo
-Standard Yellow injectors (believe these are 440cc)
-Standard air box with Cosworth panel filter
-3in sports catted exhaust to be installed

I am not chasing a power figure but I do want as much torque as possible from the standard turbo.

What torque/power would you expect this setup to give me? and could I change anything above to eek out a little more performance without breaking the bank? (larger injectors for example?)

Your thoughts would be appreciated

Last edited by V-Lim Jim; 24 May 2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 23 May 2018, 06:09 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Turbo and possibly injectors should get 320/330
Old 23 May 2018, 11:45 PM
yabbadoo4
Scooby Regular

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

ported headers always helps with spool. 3 port boost solenoid helps with better boost control also. full decat will see the best gains as it really lets the engine breathe.
Old 24 May 2018, 09:51 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

i'd be inclined to add a fuel pressure regulator and a dump valve to your setup along with a newer map sensor (fitted with the ECU).

The older map sensors are limited to 1.2bar max - the newer one will read up to 1.7bar so means you can run a little more boost mid-range to get the most out of it.
Old 24 May 2018, 11:35 AM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by bludgod
i'd be inclined to add a fuel pressure regulator and a dump valve to your setup along with a newer map sensor (fitted with the ECU).

The older map sensors are limited to 1.2bar max - the newer one will read up to 1.7bar so means you can run a little more boost mid-range to get the most out of it.
Should be the later MAP sensor on the v3 STI but the v3 are notorious for a mixture of parts. Have seen 3 ports and 2 ports factory fitted with the same ECU
Old 24 May 2018, 02:54 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate, forgot to put the Forge recric DV in my spec, I have now edited my post. Is there any particular brand and type of fuel reg that I should be looking for on the V3 sti? Also, will a newage 1.7bar MAP fit my car physically or will it need modification?
Originally Posted by yabbadoo4
ported headers always helps with spool. 3 port boost solenoid helps with better boost control also. full decat will see the best gains as it really lets the engine breathe.
Thanks Yabba, as Joe has said I *think* I'm pretty sure I have a 3 port already but will double check. I am also now considering full decat to give me maximum grunt low down.
Originally Posted by 1509joe
Turbo and possibly injectors should get 320/330
Thanks mate, pretty happy with those numbers
Old 24 May 2018, 03:02 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

the only map sensor that "fits" is the original one, however newage ones and 97/98 ones and even after market ones all follow the same setup - 3 wires and 1 vac hose so fitting isn't a big deal.

if your buying a 2nd hand sensor, ask the seller if they can include the loom/harness fitting and a few inches of wiring to attach to your car.

For the fuel reg, any of the big brand names will do fine - ebay ones tend to be fakes/bad copies and will leak or randomly pack in leaving you without fuel at a time that you really need fuel so best avoided.
Old 24 May 2018, 05:17 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

the only map sensor that "fits" is the original one, however newage ones and 97/98 ones and even after market ones all follow the same setup - 3 wires and 1 vac hose so fitting isn't a big deal.

if your buying a 2nd hand sensor, ask the seller if they can include the loom/harness fitting and a few inches of wiring to attach to your car.

For the fuel reg, any of the big brand names will do fine - ebay ones tend to be fakes/bad copies and will leak or randomly pack in leaving you without fuel at a time that you really need fuel so best avoided.
That makes sense, most of the MAP units I have been looking at seem to be a circuit board/sensor so I guess I could DIY it in, I've seen a guide on here.

I'll avoid ebay fakes, I don't fancy fuel squirting about in my engine bay!
Old 24 May 2018, 05:37 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V-Lim Jim
That makes sense, most of the MAP units I have been looking at seem to be a circuit board/sensor so I guess I could DIY it in, I've seen a guide on here.

I'll avoid ebay fakes, I don't fancy fuel squirting about in my engine bay!

aye that's the aftermarket sensors - but look for a map sensor off a 97-00 car it's a complete standalone sensor in a box with 3 pins on it which you can tie into your existing wiring harness, attach the vac line and jobs done!
Old 25 May 2018, 09:14 AM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

aye that's the aftermarket sensors - but look for a map sensor off a 97-00 car it's a complete standalone sensor in a box with 3 pins on it which you can tie into your existing wiring harness, attach the vac line and jobs done!
Thanks for the tip, that's what I'll look for
Old 25 May 2018, 11:23 AM
mellinator2k
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have roughly same spec as you on a 97 sti and running 314 bhp
Old 25 May 2018, 01:01 PM
V-Lim Jim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mellinator2k
I have roughly same spec as you on a 97 sti and running 314 bhp
Thanks Mell, is that at the flywheel? How much torque?
Old 25 May 2018, 06:58 PM
mellinator2k
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I’ll double check mate and let you know.
I have 314 without an aftermarket fuel pressure regulator- so many you can pull a couple extra horses out of her