Gauges and baffled sump for the track

Search this Thread

Old 21 June 2018, 05:37 PM
Denis K
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauges and baffled sump for the track

Need some advice on these things lads.
I will be doing track days but I will be sticking with road tyres, very good tyres but road tyre nonetheless.
So will I need a baffled sump or baffled plate or is it possibe to mod the oem sump?

Also I will need gauges to keep an eye on things.
I already have a stack boost gauge and it is excellent I must say.
I plan on getting oil temp, oil pressure and water temp.
I know I should probably stick with Stack but I see those prosport gauges at very cheap prices.
Reviews are mixed but overall most are positive.
I will buy the stacks if I have to but if the prosports are up to the job and for the money they cost I'd be willing to take a chance on them.
So what are all of your views on the prosports?
All opinions are more than welcome
Cheers
Old 21 June 2018, 06:38 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 144 Likes on 108 Posts

I have a set of prosports bought before 2010.

The boost gauge broke (sensor), and I find the wiring very, very thin, which meant they were a bit of a pain to fit.

​​I personally also don't like that you can hear them move the needles around... It just feels a bit shonky IMO, and they look a bit cheap compared to something like VDO gauges.

With regards to sumps, I am led to believe the twin scroll sumps (I think the 2.5l sumps are the same) are better from an oil surge point of view.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:10 PM
edsel
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had prosport stepper gauges fitted for three years, boost and oil pressure mounted in an A pillar pod.
When I'm on track I set the warning on the oil pressure warning to 2 bar and turn on the audible alarms in a vain attempt to get a bit of warning in hairpin bends. IMO gauges mounted anywhere out of line of sight are a waste of time, you're a better driver than me if you can monitor them in a center console when driving at full chat. I doubt the accuracy of the prosport boost gauge though.

Baffled sump is essential if you're going to drive the car hard on sticky tires. I knocked the bottom end out of my last engine at Brands Hatch as I got more experienced and pushed the car harder.
Its now wearing a Group N RCM baffled twin scroll set up on a v2 type RA. Hopefully this engine will last a bit longer.
Old 21 June 2018, 07:57 PM
mickywrx
Unmapped 12.4s @ 105

Location: Newcastle. 330bhp-289lb/ft @ 1bar boost - 12.4s @ 105mph
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO, stick with the Stack gauges since you're happy with the boost gauge. Don't bother with the cheaper electrical ones though, as the display range isn't very wide, the needle sweep is only 90 degrees.

Go for the Professional, or Pro-Control if you want warnings, as the needle sweep is 270 degrees so you can see better what's going on.

Only problem is the cost, you'll be in Defi territory for the money. Loads of people rate Defi's, I can't comment on them as I have no personal experience.

I recently had an issue with my Stack oil pressure gauge, it was fluctuating wildly at times, would just flick back and forth from normal driving pressure to no pressure. I put it down either a failed sender or gauge, they were 9 years old or so. Replaced it with one of the Professional ones, mainly for the better sweep range and all's good again.