Blobeye WRX overheats within 2 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 22 April 2018, 08:26 AM
chris_b_52
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blobeye WRX overheats within 2 minutes

Hi,

I’m new to the forum and would be grateful for some help and support, if possible.

i have owned a 2004, blobeye WRX for just over 3 years and it has been ultra reliable, and has run really well. We don’t drive it much, as its used as a weekend car or for going on longer journeys. Before the MOT was due, As it had sat for a month or so, I decided to give it a service, so changed spark plugs, oil, coolant and was advised to change the water temperature sender, while I was on, as this supplies the ecu and keeps everything working without issue. Whilst doing the coolant change, I managed to break the metal expansion tank, whilst the funnel was placed in there, so got a replacement. I have successfully burped the system and the air comes out of the internal heater nice and hot.

i now have a problem however. The car sits idling really well and sits slightly over temperature, however when I drive it the needle goes very quickly to the red, by the time I get to the end of my road. When I stop to let it cool, the turbo is very hot and the engine smells really hot. I have removed the thermostat as a temporary check, and the needle does’t go quite as high, however the car still overheats within a small distance and again everything is hot.

Other than the overheating, the car is superb, boost is great, idling smooth and the engine runs very well.

i would be grateful if anyone could offer some thoughts or experience. I fear for the head gaskets, as I have heard it is expensive and could lead to us selling it spares or repairs, which is something I am keen to avoid.

thank you,

Chris
Old 22 April 2018, 09:28 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Have you swapped the old CTS back to rule out the new one being faulty ?
Old 22 April 2018, 10:08 AM
chris_b_52
Scooby Newbie

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I didn't think that this would affect the car so much and cause such a drastic problem if faulty, so didn't try. I will swap it out today and see what happens.

Chris
Old 22 April 2018, 10:18 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Sounds like you still have air in your system...SJ.
Old 22 April 2018, 12:03 PM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Air lock. Drain the system and start again

Last edited by Jon T; 22 April 2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 22 April 2018, 06:49 PM
chris_b_52
Scooby Newbie

Thank you for all of the advice.

Today I have drained the system and while I was at it, fitted a genuine Subaru coolant temperature sensor too. I filled the system, through the pipe on the rear of the expansion tank, as per the instructions on this site. Let it idle up to temperature, which it did normally.
The good news is that I took it for a 3 mile drive, up and down the road and the temperature needle stuck at the correct level and all appeared well.

When I returned home however, there was smoke (rather than steam) plooming out of the engine bay. When I lifted the bonnet and jacked the car up, it appears to be coming from the cam cover at the passenger side of the engine. There is was also smoke coming up from the rear of the drivers side, down from beside the turbo.

It drives fantastic, still idles well and the temperature needle shows normal, but the smoke (which has an oil stench, but looks more black than blue) is now an issue. Can anybody help identify what this could be.

thank you,

Chris
Old 22 April 2018, 07:21 PM
FranK RA
Scooby Regular

Half moon seals?
They are prone to cracking/breaking due to age etc...
Old 22 April 2018, 08:22 PM
chris_b_52
Scooby Newbie

That looks like a really good call. Thank you. I have been surprised that all of these problems have manifested themselves at the same time, but suppose the extra heat caused by the previous issue may have exposed some weak links. I have had extremely pessimistic thoughts about head gasket failure, but the expertise on this forum has helped so far. The rocker gasket and half moon set isn’t too expensive, so will get them oredered for the passenger side and will see how it goes. If this works then I’ll do the same to the drivers side.

Thanks again for all of the help,

chris

Last edited by chris_b_52; 22 April 2018 at 08:23 PM.
Old 22 April 2018, 09:07 PM
ray54
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_b_52
That looks like a really good call. Thank you. I have been surprised that all of these problems have manifested themselves at the same time, but suppose the extra heat caused by the previous issue may have exposed some weak links. I have had extremely pessimistic thoughts about head gasket failure, but the expertise on this forum has helped so far. The rocker gasket and half moon set isn’t too expensive, so will get them oredered for the passenger side and will see how it goes. If this works then I’ll do the same to the drivers side.

Thanks again for all of the help,

chris
I know the feeling Chris, coil pack went on mine giving me gearbox problems at same time (auto box) work that one out.

Hope it all works out for you.