Notices

Forged 2.5 with std rods....want more power.......options

Old 02 January 2018, 09:44 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Received 495 Likes on 339 Posts
Default Forged 2.5 with std rods....want more power.......options

So I have a hawk sti with a forged 2.5 but it's on std rods and unsure of head studs as the previous owner wasn't ever going to go for more power, I however am starting to want more power..........alot more

The spec is

Cdb 2.5 built by scoobyclinic 14 months ago (8k on engine)
Mahle pistons
New crank
Cosworth head gaskets
Arp rod bolts
Std rods
Heads rebuilt with upgraded valves/spings/retainers

Fmic
750cc denso injectors
Scoobyclinic Induction kit
Hybrid vf43
Decat etc
350bhp

I really feel like I need another 100bhp or so, what's the most cost effective way of going about it?
Rebuild this engine with better rods/sell this engine but that means losing the closed deck block/or push this engine over 400bhp and leave it in the hands of god?

I see so many people with 450+ 2.5's and I want to be part of that club too.
Old 02 January 2018, 09:46 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Might be worth refreshing it and doing the rods if the rest is up to the job

Last edited by imprezagaz; 02 January 2018 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02 January 2018, 09:49 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by imprezagaz
Might be worth refreshing it and doing the rods if the rest is up to the job
New crank aswell or Not?
Old 02 January 2018, 09:59 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Change the rods if your looking around 450hp as the std rods will always be the weak link at those power levels just to be safe.SJ.
Old 02 January 2018, 10:00 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Crank will be fine.SJ.
Old 03 January 2018, 04:37 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
Change the rods if your looking around 450hp as the std rods will always be the weak link at those power levels just to be safe.SJ.
Can you change just the rods?
Old 03 January 2018, 06:32 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by the shreksta
Can you change just the rods?
No mate,when I said that I was just stating that as you have the forged pistons already etc... that the rods upgrade would be what you need to upgrade next to safely get those figures that you have mentioned 450+but you will still need all the checks done as the engine will practically be re built thats why it would of been simpler If the previous owner had just upgraded them when he had the engine open but saying that maybe he was not really looking massive amounts of power.....I was speaking to a mate of mine the other day who is running a standard Subaru sti "2006" 2.5 engine and its over 400bhp now with just the normal upgrades i.e exhaust,filter,colder spark plugs,SC42 billet turbo and a alcatek ecu,and the engine has not **** itself yet, but as they say "One mans luck is another mans misfortune"maybe he has a Wednesday car.SJ.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:42 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stonejedi
No mate,when I said that I was just stating that as you have the forged pistons already etc... that the rods upgrade would be what you need to upgrade next to safely get those figures that you have mentioned 450+but you will still need all the checks done as the engine will practically be re built thats why it would of been simpler If the previous owner had just upgraded them when he had the engine open but saying that maybe he was not really looking massive amounts of power.....I was speaking to a mate of mine the other day who is running a standard Subaru sti "2006" 2.5 engine and its over 400bhp now with just the normal upgrades i.e exhaust,filter,colder spark plugs,SC42 billet turbo and a alcatek ecu,and the engine has not **** itself yet, but as they say "One mans luck is another mans misfortune"maybe he has a Wednesday car.SJ.
I wasnt aware that alcatek was available for the hawks, I'm sure thwaites told me that if I wanted an aftermarket ecu I couldn't have the alcatek.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:23 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

I wasnt aware that alcatek was available for the hawks, I'm sure thwaites told me that if I wanted an aftermarket ecu I couldn't have the alcatek.
My mistake mate that was supposed to say EcuteK not Alcatek "predictive keyboard".SJ.
Old 03 January 2018, 08:49 AM
AS Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check 'which' Mahle pistons you have also as personally i would only use the 2618 variant (good for anything you can muster) above 400..........

if you want to future proof then a "CDB insert" is again a no-brainer once above 450 IMO and you may want to consider better studs, etc.
Old 03 January 2018, 09:38 AM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AS Performance
check 'which' Mahle pistons you have also as personally i would only use the 2618 variant (good for anything you can muster) above 400..........

if you want to future proof then a "CDB insert" is again a no-brainer once above 450 IMO and you may want to consider better studs, etc.
I'm sure the paperwork from the clinic states mahle power pak pistons. The block has the cdb insert as that's all the clinic had available at the time of the rebuild as the original block was goosed.

Sell this and start again or rebuild this................
Old 03 January 2018, 09:54 AM
Wull
Scooby Regular

I’ve never understood why someone would have a build like this done and not opt for the uprated rods, makes no sense at all.

What you need to do is work out if it makes sense financially to ether have uprated rods fitted which you can have done and not worry about running it in or having rods fitted and a refresh which would be much more costly and you’d need to run it in.

Or buy one that’s already done and at the spec you want.
Old 03 January 2018, 10:32 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull
I’ve never understood why someone would have a build like this done and not opt for the uprated rods, makes no sense at all.

What you need to do is work out if it makes sense financially to ether have uprated rods fitted which you can have done and not worry about running it in or having rods fitted and a refresh which would be much more costly and you’d need to run it in.

I guess he did not have the extra funds at the time....uprated rods ain't cheap especially if you are working to a budget,but saying that niether is rebuilding the engine again for more power, if it was me shrek I would just work with what you have already or sell your engine and buy an engine that has recently been built that can take the power levels that you are aiming to achieve.SJ.
Old 03 January 2018, 12:01 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm sure the paperwork from the clinic states mahle power pak pistons. The block has the cdb insert as that's all the clinic had available at the time of the rebuild as the original block was goosed.

Sell this and start again or rebuild this................
why? your gonna end up paying for a new block + CDB conversion, rods, pistons, heads etc

in theroy if all you wanna do is replace the rods then should only need to do a basic refresh with bearings, head gasket kit and head studs and add in the rods and maybe pistons depending on whats in it (if it was only speced for 400 before then unless clinic can tell you what went in it you'll have to presume if you want to go higher will need to replace those as well).
Old 03 January 2018, 12:02 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wull

not everyone wants or has the money for mega power, lets face it 400bhp and 420+ftlb will make a pretty rapid road car
Old 03 January 2018, 04:41 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

so in theory i could-

split the block and have it checked over
replace the bearings
re-use the crank that was new 8k ago
re-use pistons or replace if not up to the job
replace std rods with uprated rods
re-use heads without rebuilding them as they had a full overhaul 8k ago
new head-gaskets/timing kit and possibly 14mm head stud conversion

good news is ive just checked the paperwork from the clinic and it has been fitted with the mahle 2618 pistons
Old 03 January 2018, 05:43 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

if it's definitely a closed deck block then with uprated con' rods it'll be good for 500hp.
The ARP rod bolts as mentioned in the build list would be ARP 11mm headstuds? and they're good for the power you want.
Trev
Old 03 January 2018, 06:02 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by trevsjwood
if it's definitely a closed deck block then with uprated con' rods it'll be good for 500hp.
The ARP rod bolts as mentioned in the build list would be ARP 11mm headstuds? and they're good for the power you want.
Trev
just trawled through some emails from kev @ the clinic and it has 100% got the closed deck inserts as thats the only block they had available, it has std rods as the previous owner was never going to push for big bhp he just had a small upgrade to arp rod bolts, there is no mention on the paperwork of head studs and kev cannot remember what it had BUT he has said that they never build a 2.5 without using 11mm arp headstuds as there is no point so will presume it has them.

perhaps i take my chance and push for 400bhp and be happy with that
Old 03 January 2018, 06:14 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Paul Finch says 380hp for standard rods but he would cover all eventualities.
If not tracking it risk has to be down to driver style.
Trev
Old 03 January 2018, 06:48 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

so in theory i could-

split the block and have it checked over
replace the bearings
re-use the crank that was new 8k ago
re-use pistons or replace if not up to the job
replace std rods with uprated rods
re-use heads without rebuilding them as they had a full overhaul 8k ago
new head-gaskets/timing kit and possibly 14mm head stud conversion

good news is ive just checked the paperwork from the clinic and it has been fitted with the mahle 2618 pistons
pretty much yep assuming all ok when split.
Old 03 January 2018, 06:53 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing that 2.5 rods are weaker than 2.0 rods? I see so many 2.0 sti running way past 400bhp on a standard engine
Old 03 January 2018, 07:03 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I'm guessing that 2.5 rods are weaker than 2.0 rods? I see so many 2.0 sti running way past 400bhp on a standard engine
yeah, the 2.5 was a dog in stock form, right bit of tlc and they are a cracking road engine.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:09 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
yeah, the 2.5 was a dog in stock form, right bit of tlc and they are a cracking road engine.
Better get my thinking cap on I suppose
Old 03 January 2018, 07:33 PM
Wull
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tidgy
not everyone wants or has the money for mega power, lets face it 400bhp and 420+ftlb will make a pretty rapid road car
Still doesn’t make sense to me, if it’s being stripped down for a rebuild then it would make sense to fit the uprated rods for both peace of mind and if the desire for more power ever came.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:34 PM
MOTORS S GT
Scooby Regular

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Same rods, 2.5 has got a 99.5mm heavy piston hanging on the end of it, & longer stroke, unlike the 92mm 2.0.
Old 03 January 2018, 07:46 PM
the shreksta
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MOTORS S GT
Same rods, 2.5 has got a 99.5mm heavy piston hanging on the end of it, & longer stroke, unlike the 92mm 2.0.
Thanks for the info Paul. Are the rods better when fitted with arp rod bolts?
Old 03 January 2018, 09:41 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Mate by the time someone has taken your engine out, stripped it, refreshed it, stuck you new rods in, put it back together, put it back in the car, stuck a new turbo on it, run it in, added any parts required for the new spec and re-mapped it, you're going to be at the thick end of £4k.... is it really worth all that for a bit more power????

My opinion is either sell it and buy something else more suited to your requirements, or just strap a bigger turbo on it and go for 420 ish... it will either go bang or it won't.

Edit to add; What do scooby clinic think it's good for as is???

Last edited by ditchmyster; 03 January 2018 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03 January 2018, 10:34 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Yea sounds a bit miss match that build shrek
Stock rods are pretty good as a oem item but as stated it’s heavy work & once you factor in the torque values at a higher rpm wich the 2.5 revs out very early its def worth upgrading on the build
. Personally I would replace rod & piston as a item regardless / but that’s your call .
11 mm studs are more than ample if your not chasing massive boost .. they get a good kicking don’t get me wrong but deserve more credit as a upgrade than most admit.
/ pay the extra & choose the 14 mm if your a boost addict .
... or just be happy , I’m sure it’s a capable car as is /
Old 04 January 2018, 09:32 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
Yea sounds a bit miss match that build shrek
Stock rods are pretty good as a oem item but as stated it’s heavy work & once you factor in the torque values at a higher rpm wich the 2.5 revs out very early its def worth upgrading on the build
. Personally I would replace rod & piston as a item regardless / but that’s your call .
11 mm studs are more than ample if your not chasing massive boost .. they get a good kicking don’t get me wrong but deserve more credit as a upgrade than most admit.
/ pay the extra & choose the 14 mm if your a boost addict .
... or just be happy , I’m sure it’s a capable car as is /
why replace perfectly good pistons? just extra cost that isn't needed.
Old 04 January 2018, 10:21 AM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

I only stated Tidgy because given the 2618 is a better application piston for turbo engines due to its expansion properties it also has a shorter life cycle .
Given it’s not my engine & I don’t have the components in front of me , sure they prob fine .???

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Forged 2.5 with std rods....want more power.......options