Notices

Secondary air pump

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2018, 04:51 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary air pump

Hi all can anyone help. all of a sudden my secondary air pump decided to run permanently resulting in flat battery got it in to local garage for diagnosis and they're system is saying the pump itself has had it does anyone know if this is probable. As they seem ridiculously expensive even used.
Old 02 January 2018, 06:57 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Received 106 Likes on 94 Posts

Had mine over run on my 06 hawk, actually ran so long that it got really hot and some of the wires started to smoke, also cooked the battery, was advised to have it taken out rather than replaced coz their known to die and they aint really needed in the uk coz are only there to pre heat the cat on start up i believe, more suited for the states where they get extreme cold spells
Old 02 January 2018, 07:19 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Loads of threads on here m8
Hit the search
But yea ( delete is best option
Old 02 January 2018, 07:22 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Mine too is an 06 hawkeye it just seems backward to me that if the pump has gone it's still running or in fact overrunning I was kind of hoping it was a relay or sensor telling it to keep going but can't seem to find any evidence of this being the case suppose I was just wishing for a miracle cure as everything I've read thus far has been either a nightmare to blank it or a very expensive replacement
Old 02 January 2018, 07:27 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

I've been doing that all evening jazzy it's just none of the threads I've read seem to have an easy or inexpensive outcome surely they can't all be doom and gloom I've had my scooby for 6 yrs now with no problems at all it just seems pretty poo that the first 1 she has is at best a nightmare
Old 02 January 2018, 07:35 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

The reason the pump keeps running & over heating eventually burning itself out is because the solenoids & pipe work have succumbed to water ingress over time / the pump gets the nod to activate , the system is failing / if you replace the pump you will still have a system fail unless you can clean & salvage all the gubbins etc ..
Get it removed / fit blanking plates & get the cel mapped out
Old 02 January 2018, 07:50 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Having the pump removed/blanked off and mapped out still works out a damn sight cheaper then fitting a new pump that really aint needed, had mine done a few yrs back but I'm sure it was gonna cost summit daft like a grand for a new system with no guarantee it wouldn't fail again at some point, taking it out also gives you more space in the engine bay
Old 02 January 2018, 07:58 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Originally Posted by ted bass
Had mine over run on my 06 hawk, actually ran so long that it got really hot and some of the wires started to smoke, also cooked the battery, was advised to have it taken out rather than replaced coz their known to die and they aint really needed in the uk coz are only there to pre heat the cat on start up i believe, more suited for the states where they get extreme cold spells

It's there to feed fresh air into the exhaust to keep the emissions in check during initial start up/ running
Old 02 January 2018, 07:58 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

It's starting to sound like my only option then is it a diy job with a bit of background mechanical knowledge or a garage only job
Old 02 January 2018, 08:01 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Is there a definitive way to test if it's the pump or a sensor/relay then does anyone know
Old 02 January 2018, 08:09 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Don might know the answer to that one, he knows most things and always helps to point people in the right direction if poss
Old 02 January 2018, 08:11 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Don Clark

It's there to feed fresh air into the exhaust to keep the emissions in check during initial start up/ running
Yes, they are on many vehicles and always for startup emmisions. What I don’t understand though, is why it runs for such a short time.

Also, if it’s working OK, what action could be taken to stop it going rogue?
Old 02 January 2018, 08:14 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

relay is stuck open. the pump itself will fail if ran continually.

there's a service campaign at your local dealer SRT227 contact your dealer to see if your is affected
Old 02 January 2018, 08:24 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the recall for new relay to be fitted
hatchback sti

Last edited by peter zippy reid; 02 January 2018 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02 January 2018, 08:25 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

The possible recall regarding the secondary air pump was mentioned in a thread on here back in 2016, it said on there it only affected impreza's 2008 thru till 2014
Old 02 January 2018, 08:36 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

That’s because the system was developed for the MY07 technically along with DBW
Car is out of 10 year scope
Old 02 January 2018, 09:21 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

I did see recalls on 08 onward so I don't think mine is covered even though I do get recall letters still latest being a airbag one but my nearest dealer is 30 miles away so more than a little inconvenient
Old 02 January 2018, 09:29 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Old 02 January 2018, 09:35 PM
jazzyjembreaze
Scooby Regular

Don , show the lad a picture of the system so he can get a idea
, removing the pump & passenger side solenoid & pipework to 2 bolt flange is no time at all . It’s the drivers side wich is the pickle. But as all things / you just have to give yourself patience & time .
( carefully don’t snap the bolts tho , or if you do pray they snap at the head of the bolt .
Also make sure you have the blanking plates at hand
Good luck
Old 03 January 2018, 09:07 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jazzyjembreaze
Don , show the lad a picture of the system so he can get a idea
, removing the pump & passenger side solenoid & pipework to 2 bolt flange is no time at all . It’s the drivers side wich is the pickle. But as all things / you just have to give yourself patience & time .
( carefully don’t snap the bolts tho , or if you do pray they snap at the head of the bolt .
Also make sure you have the blanking plates at hand
Good luck

Just do a search on "subaru secondary air injection" and you will find many threads on various websites relating to it and its removal, partial removal,blanking off and fault code error delete.
Old 03 January 2018, 09:27 AM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by poffer1
Yes, they are on many vehicles and always for startup emmisions. What I don’t understand though, is why it runs for such a short time.

Also, if it’s working OK, what action could be taken to stop it going rogue?
Below link is not Subaru specific but is a good explanation of why it's needed - boxer engines run extremely rich at start up

http://www.12v.org/engine/index.php?section=hw&sm=2nd

The two flap valves work in an extremely hostile environment and can become clogged and stick in either the open (exhaust gas can travel back to the pump and cause it to overheat and sometimes explode) or closed ( pump can run continuously as the system does not get the required signal to shut down)

Below vid shows the flap valve actuator but unfortunately not the actual flap valve which it operates

This one does but it's in russian but gives you a good idea what's needed to clean one up
Old 03 January 2018, 03:44 PM
poffer1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Don for explaining it so well, that's brilliant
Old 04 January 2018, 05:29 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Update so far fault codes showed it was the pump itself but when we removed the relay and took it apart it showed signs of wear so we cleaned it up and refitted it and now the pump is not overrunning
but I didn't see it running either.
the mechanic and I are hopeful that it is the relay as suggested by rob84 I will update again as soon as I find a replacement part but as yet the only one I can find at present is on eBay at a ridiculous £110 I went to a local auto parts dealer and got a durrite equivalent but unfortunately it was very slightly physically bigger so no good for the socket .
Old 04 January 2018, 05:30 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Ps thank you all for all for all the help so far
Old 04 January 2018, 07:14 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Ishmee
Update so far fault codes showed it was the pump itself but when we removed the relay and took it apart it showed signs of wear so we cleaned it up and refitted it and now the pump is not overrunning
but I didn't see it running either.
the mechanic and I are hopeful that it is the relay as suggested by rob84 I will update again as soon as I find a replacement part but as yet the only one I can find at present is on eBay at a ridiculous £110 I went to a local auto parts dealer and got a durrite equivalent but unfortunately it was very slightly physically bigger so no good for the socket .
Taking the **** or out of stock

Have you tried a dealer ??
You probably know but part number is 25232AA090
On ebay from Belgium - more realistic even with postage.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Relai-Rela...item3ae758927a

Last edited by Don Clark; 04 January 2018 at 07:15 PM.
Old 04 January 2018, 07:45 PM
Ishmee
Scooby Newbie

Thanks Don, yeah there's no way I would pay that for a relay they are just taking the **** exactly
there is a company over in Lancashire that sell tyco relays but I'm still waiting for a response from them but my next port of call was as you suggest my local scooby dealer even though it's 30miles away would still be cheaper and easier to get one through them .

that said I'm concerned now that the system isn't running at all or a valve issue as you mentioned previously.

the mechanic at the garage did clear all fault codes and has had the car running and no new codes have come up so it's looking positive I'm just jubious about it being this easy after all you guys have said and all the other research I've done thus far
Old 22 March 2018, 12:47 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Think I've just become another victim of the secondary air pump relay fault on my 07 Hawkeye WRX. I pulled the car out the garage this morning and noticed the CEL was still illuminated well after all the other dashboard lights had gone out. I turned the engine off and could hear the secondary air pump whirring away quite loudly. I lifted the bonnet to find a burning smell and some visible smoke coming from the unit. I got the pump to stop by disconnecting the battery.

I have contacted Subaru UK in the hope that they will sort this for me FOC under the secondary air pump recall : https://subaru.oemdtc.com/495/wtm-73...-2014-subaru/2

One quick question, would I be OK to pull the relay from the fuse box and still drive the car ?
Old 22 March 2018, 01:03 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

I pulled my fuse out when my 06 hawk done the exact same thing, i drove it to the garage to have the pump taken off with no probs
Old 22 March 2018, 01:15 PM
Jonnys3
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My code reader showed that the pump is stuck on bank 1, so I'm guessing that means the valve is still open ? Does disconnecting the power shut the valve ?
Old 22 March 2018, 01:29 PM
ted bass
Scooby Regular

Im not sure to be honest with you johnny, i was just advised to pull the fuse till i got the car into the garage to remove the pump, pm Don Clark coz he's normally the man with all the answers and a font of knowledge

Quick Reply: Secondary air pump