Notices

Uprated turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2017, 08:53 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

The markings you're looking for on the turbo are on the flat plate just below one of your pictures. You should be able to see it from the top of the engine bay.

See the image below showing location of the TD04 marking:

To me it looks like a TD04 to be honest.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:09 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

If it is a td04, you can uprate it for about £450 with a billet wheel, and it makes a cracking real world, b road blaster, whilst retaining some economy ; if your's is original it may want a refurb anyway.
Old 21 September 2017, 09:55 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Billet-Tur...UAAOSwEeFU~y1G
Old 21 September 2017, 10:58 AM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
If it is a td04, you can uprate it for about £450 with a billet wheel, and it makes a cracking real world, b road blaster, whilst retaining some economy ; if your's is original it may want a refurb anyway.
yeah, could do in the future but tbh it's not to bad the now since it's my first turbo car 😄
Old 21 September 2017, 11:00 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Looking at your pictures the car has a cold air intake system fitted. That coupled with the full exhaust change would signal to me you'd need a remap.

Get it mapped asap IMO.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:02 AM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by BrownPantsRacing
The markings you're looking for on the turbo are on the flat plate just below one of your pictures. You should be able to see it from the top of the engine bay.

See the image below showing location of the TD04 marking:

To me it looks like a TD04 to be honest.
Yeah think you might be right there, that's were the numbers/ writing was on mine, aw well 😂 TD04 4 life.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:04 AM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

So now that we know it's a TD04, would a blob eye prodrive exhaust system fit my car, sorry if it sounds stupid but I'm clueless 😂
Old 21 September 2017, 11:07 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Yep, it will.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:14 AM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

Yep, it will.
Thats good news, thank you o' wise one. One last question and I'll stop pestering you 😄 There is some sort of flexi part on pipe before turbo, is this a pre cat or something?
Old 21 September 2017, 11:21 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

If it's in the up pipe directly below the turbo then it will be one of two things. If it's the standard WRX up pipe then it will be a small cat, if it's an aftermarket cheap up pipe then it will be a flexi section (which will probably at some point fail). I hate these flexi pipes.
Old 21 September 2017, 11:25 AM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

If it's in the up pipe directly below the turbo then it will be one of two things. If it's the standard WRX up pipe then it will be a small cat, if it's an aftermarket cheap up pipe then it will be a flexi section (which will probably at some point fail). I hate these flexi pipes.
Well i could always get a photo tonight and we can check then, if it is a small cat could that pass MOT do you know ?
Old 21 September 2017, 11:29 AM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Have they changed the whole exhaust on your car including the downpipe for a cat-less system?

You don't really want a cat in the up pipe, it restricts the turbo quite a lot. Better off getting a sports cat in the downpipe so it passes the MOT. Only 1 cat required to pass an MOT. 2 types of cat available, 100 cel which is less restrictive and struggles to pass MOT or 200 cel which passes ok every time.

I've used 200 cel sports cats on my last 2 cars both making 350 ish bhp without issue and both passing MOT fine every year without drama.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:11 PM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

Have they changed the whole exhaust on your car including the downpipe for a cat-less system?

You don't really want a cat in the up pipe, it restricts the turbo quite a lot. Better off getting a sports cat in the downpipe so it passes the MOT. Only 1 cat required to pass an MOT. 2 types of cat available, 100 cel which is less restrictive and struggles to pass MOT or 200 cel which passes ok every time.

I've used 200 cel sports cats on my last 2 cars both making 350 ish bhp without issue and both passing MOT fine every year without drama.
yeah no cats on at all, freaking out incase road side emissions test 😬 So if I get a 200 cel sports cat would I have to worry about changing the whole system or could I get it fitted in somehow?
Old 21 September 2017, 12:14 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

Personally I wouldn't worry about roadside emissions. In all my MANY years of driving I've only every seen 1 testing station set up by the police and I've never had my car questioned or checked. It just doesn't happen.

All you need to do if you want a cat and an easier MOT is change the downpipe to another newage downpipe containing a sports cat. You'll need it mapped after doing that.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:22 PM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

Personally I wouldn't worry about roadside emissions. In all my MANY years of driving I've only every seen 1 testing station set up by the police and I've never had my car questioned or checked. It just doesn't happen.

All you need to do if you want a cat and an easier MOT is change the downpipe to another newage downpipe containing a sports cat. You'll need it mapped after doing that.
thank **** for that 😁 That does put my mind at ease anyway. My MOT isn't due until April 18 so got a good bit of time to find new age sports cat then. Also my tail pipe/ back box is 4.5 exit, if I get a smaller one will it make it less brutal on the ears ? This exhaust is probably main concern at the moment.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:33 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

You can change the whole thing if needed. There is no need to go full 3" exhaust with your spec. standard 2.5" bore would have been easily enough. I'm still running 2.5" systems on my 350bhp cars.

There is a massive selection of exhausts available for subarus. Do some research, make a list of what looks nice, search for some youtube videos of the ones you like and go for it!
Old 21 September 2017, 12:40 PM
Imprezabug
Scooby Newbie

You can change the whole thing if needed. There is no need to go full 3" exhaust with your spec. standard 2.5" bore would have been easily enough. I'm still running 2.5" systems on my 350bhp cars.

There is a massive selection of exhausts available for subarus. Do some research, make a list of what looks nice, search for some youtube videos of the ones you like and go for it!
Excellent, well I'll see what I can find, I do like the angled exit. Thanks for all the help man, really appreciate it.
Old 21 September 2017, 12:45 PM
BrownPantsRacing
Scooby Regular

No probs.