Notices

Where are the avcs connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 23 July 2017, 08:18 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where are the avcs connectors?

Am I right in thinking at the back? On my Blob STI I've got this in the plug at the back on one side:

But on the nearside that rear connector has a different plug in it, and the same type of white plug is here at the front:

It was remarked to me that that was an AVCS plug and should be at the back when I visited Scoobyclinic ages ago. I'm about to put my manifold back on and want to know where it should be so I don't leave it at the front if the previous person has put it there in error.
Old 23 July 2017, 09:40 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts

They are the cam sensor plugs...the avcs ones are the blue plugs at the front mate.
Old 23 July 2017, 10:07 PM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In your second picture, the little adaptor loom shouldnt be connected to the front cam sensor, it should be on the cam sensor at the rear of the cylinder head - same as the other side.
Old 25 July 2017, 08:53 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little'un
In your second picture, the little adaptor loom shouldnt be connected to the front cam sensor, it should be on the cam sensor at the rear of the cylinder head - same as the other side.
That's what I thought. So, update; I've changed them around while I had the manifold off and fitted a Perrin inlet hose and RCM induction kit.

Now the car idles really rough, if it starts at all, then dies. I have the following fault codes:

P0107 - Powertrain
Manifold Absolute Pressure/Barometric Pressure Circuit Low Input

P0122 - Powertrain
Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input

P0390 - Powertrain
Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit

The P0390 is apparently Bank 2. Which side is this? Any ideas folks? Only other option is to put the plugs back in the back to front order they were and try that, but I don't want it connected incorrectly but can't understand why it would run OK like that but not now they are the correct way round? I'm absolutely baffled.
Old 25 July 2017, 09:16 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you refit the earth lead back onto the inlet manifold and it's tight ?
Did you remove the coil pack connectors ? If so,make sure the black connectors go to the rear coil packs on both sides.
Also check that the fuel feed pipe and return haven't been swapped.

Last edited by merlin24; 25 July 2017 at 09:45 PM.
Old 25 July 2017, 10:48 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Which earth lead? I've got two on the top of the inlet on the passenger side and one on top on the driver side.

Fuel lines:

Coil pack leads are as you say. I'm genuinely baffled. This engine was rebuilt by numpties, I've found various bits of evidence towards that, missing bolts here and there etc. so it's plausible in my mind that maybe someone has messed the loom up further back. The fact SC checked it and found the AVCS working suggests it is going to work when I try putting it back how it was. I won't get chance to try this until Thursday now but I will update you guys when I do. If you have any other ideas in the meantime do shout up.
Old 26 July 2017, 07:53 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Just thinking, I should probably pull the radiator fans and get the cambelt covers back off and check the timing hasn't gone out somehow as I have changed the belt. Everything was lined up correctly but if swapping the plugs doesn't cure it that's the next thing I'm going to look at.

Can't see that causing fault codes with the TPS though? I dunno. I'm knackered and sick of worrying about this now. Need to make progress.
Old 26 July 2017, 01:10 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Anymore for anymore?
Old 27 July 2017, 10:29 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Just to update this, I swapped the cam sensor plugs back around to the "incorrect" way and the car ran again. Really weird. Loom must have been messed with, that's all I can think. I'll just have to have avcs functionality double checked before mapping.