Notices

Water pump change out. Left bank cam sprockets on or off?

Search this Thread

Old 20 May 2017, 04:15 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Water pump change out. Left bank cam sprockets on or off?

Hi All,

2006 WRX 2.5 (ej255) haweye wagon.

Just bought the wagon last weekend having taken my V5 classic uk turbo off the road as part of my on-going restoration to give the body work a bit of a welding up tidying up the sills & rear quarters.

I am going to change the timing belt, hydraulic tensioner, idlers & water pump on this wagon as there is no proof of when it was last done. I am not entirely new to this job as have done it on my classic turbo minus the water pump that is. When I had a quick read up on the water pump side of it both my manuals stated that you had to remove both the left hand exhaust & intake cam sprockets as well as the timing belt tensioner bracket when changing the water pump.

I never paid that much attention to the water pump the last time I did this job on my classic but I wouldn’t think that you would need to remove both left bank cam sprocketsto be able to remove it as there is a fair distance between the pump &sprocket locations. Is it possible to change the pump without first removing these sprockets or not as the case may be?

In the case I do need to remove the cam sprockets do I need to buy the cam holding tools? If I do then I will need to buy 2 as this 2006 wagon is the first of the WRX’s with AVCS/VVT on the intake cam only. The exhaust cam is a normal non-actuating cam. These tools are a bit on the pricey side too so if I didn’t need them that would be bonus on the old hip pocket.

Or do you think it would be ok to leave the old belt onto hold the sprockets in place while I impact gun off the 10 mm allen bolts? Heard these can get pretty tight & was just worried I might damage the teeth profile where the belt sits on the actual cam sprockets being with the possible high torque on the bolts? I would obviously have the car in a high gear with the good lady applying the brakes while gunning the bolts.

Any advice would be very much appreciated

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Paul.
Old 20 May 2017, 07:48 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

Check out Rob84's posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...nt-on-wrx.html
Old 21 May 2017, 09:38 AM
little'un
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Water pump can be changed without taking off any of the cam sprockets.

I find that removing the cambelt tensioner bracket (3x M8 bolts) makes it easier to see what you're doing when refitting the new water pump, but even this isn't necessary.
Old 21 May 2017, 11:30 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Don Clark

Thanks Don

Cheers Paul.
Old 21 May 2017, 11:33 PM
Paulgeorge01
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little'un
Water pump can be changed without taking off any of the cam sprockets.

I find that removing the cambelt tensioner bracket (3x M8 bolts) makes it easier to see what you're doing when refitting the new water pump, but even this isn't necessary.

Thanks Little' un . Will remove tensioner bracket but will leave cam sprockets well alone. Superb!!!!

Cheers Paul.