Notices

Do I need a return to sump catch tank system?

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2017, 04:04 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Do I need a return to sump catch tank system?

For my Blob STI track car? Only running 313bhp but will be mapped for around 350 before it sees any more use. I bought a CDF 3 port catch tank ages ago but haven't got round to using it yet and can't remember if its got any sort of sump return on it.

If it hasn't, will it suffice or should I be looking for an alternative? It hadn't actually occurred to me until I read a thread about sump baffle plates and some posters veered off onto the subject of catch tanks.
Old 28 March 2017, 07:54 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I would connect it into the existing breather pipes which return to the turbo inlet pipe and see how much vapour/oil it collects on a trackday. How much and what it collected would tell you what to do next. I find my can collects very little on a trackday but can be a third full of oil after 4 launch starts at the Pod, the oil comes from the crankcase breather.
It may be different with your car and driving style could be a big factor.
Trev
Old 28 March 2017, 09:51 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds a good idea actually
Old 29 March 2017, 12:16 AM
RICHARD J
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to vent to atmosphere which is what I did on my V3 STI via a long hose routed near the gear box. Lots of people do it this way, works well and keeps all vapours out of your inlet which is the purpose of the can, the baffle won't quite catch all the oily vapours. Return to sump is for track cars only as on a road car the can can catch a lot of water in humid conditions which will emulsify your oil. A track car will burn the water off by being constantly flat out.
Old 30 March 2017, 06:54 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I have run VTA and return to sump depending on how the engine uses oil. As mentioned I would test it and see how much collects and how quickly.