Notices

Decat without Remap

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2017, 10:45 AM
LiamB
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Decat without Remap

I have a 2005 WRX with PPP, panel filter and turbo back decat. The car's been that way since I bought it, been running it for 3 years now.

I've been doing a bit of reading recently and apparently it's a big no no to fit a decat exhaust without remapping, causes overboosting/boost spikes.

Given that the car's been running like this for years, what's the likely damage? I'm in the process of moving to a higher power level (300-320bhp), am I likely to find a big problem when I do that?
Old 17 March 2017, 11:26 AM
WRCT25
Scooby Regular

Im no pro so this is not gospel . I would say don't worry and just get it mapped. Obviously its ideal to have it mapped as soon as any performance enhancing mods are done, but at the same time a decat without mapping is not the end of the world imo.
Old 17 March 2017, 11:37 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

It could be running a little lean at times but as it has the PPP map on there which is mapped for sportscat then it shouldn't be too bad.
If your going bigger power then you'll be remapping anyway.
Old 17 March 2017, 11:52 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by LiamB
I have a 2005 WRX with PPP, panel filter and turbo back decat. The car's been that way since I bought it, been running it for 3 years now.

I've been doing a bit of reading recently and apparently it's a big no no to fit a decat exhaust without remapping, causes overboosting/boost spikes.

Given that the car's been running like this for years, what's the likely damage? I'm in the process of moving to a higher power level (300-320bhp), am I likely to find a big problem when I do that?
This would be my biggest fear, the damage already done.
Old 17 March 2017, 06:59 PM
LiamB
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies folks. I'll drive it gently from now on and have it remapped on the day that the rest of the mods go on. I'll put a bit of extra cash in the "just in case" fund to cover anything that let's go at the higher power level.
Old 17 March 2017, 08:01 PM
Kaeo
Scooby Regular

Tbh the difference between sports cat and decat turbo back isn't that big a deal, unless you're on high boost a lot of the time I doubt there will be any damage. The boost and det issues come when you decat the uppipe without a remap.