Bugeye issue

Search this Thread

Old 27 February 2017, 12:46 AM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bugeye issue

Hello

I have a 02 bugeye WRX has decat & powered Ind kit.

Had for about a year...gearbox failed after three month of buying it ( very suspicious but that's another story ).

New gearbox fitted and Clutch....all going good for the last couple of month.

However recently as in last two weeks....if I accelerate from standing up through gears quite quick car rpm rises smoothly and boosts.

If I give it the big beans from 3k up and around 4k I get a massive.....nothing. (similar feeling to an classic coil pack failure) or as I got in my UK2000 classic fuel cut.

Not sure what route to take. I'm thinking boost issue or turbo issue or Remap needed to set it up properly or Plugs or Exhaust leak or a million other things.

To do gearbox and Clutch. Exhaust was removed from turbo back ( it is a full decat..fitted by prev owner).

Any common issues.?

Cheers Steve.
Old 27 February 2017, 01:40 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Induction kit so more air in,full decat so more air out,not mapped for either I'm guessing?
Could well be running lean,overboosting,detting.
Have you got a boost gauge? What boost are you running when fuel cut happens?
You say you give it beans and you get a massive nothing,do you just get no boost or does it feel like you hit a brick wall and you nearly headbutt the windscreen?
Old 27 February 2017, 09:20 AM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

Hi

It's like a huge flat..as if I have gone into 5th gear from 2nd. No a violent jerk or shake. Just have to kind of come off the throttle and accelerate again not as hard to build her back up. If I leave my foot in it doesn't power through the issue
Old 27 February 2017, 09:27 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

has the car been mapped for the mods ?
Old 27 February 2017, 09:46 AM
Cambs_Stuart
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it's not been mapped for those mods then it could cause those symptoms. Unmapped full de-cat can knacker the engine so I'd recommend you get to a decent mapper asap.
Old 27 February 2017, 10:13 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cambs_Stuart
If it's not been mapped for those mods then it could cause those symptoms. Unmapped full de-cat can knacker the engine so I'd recommend you get to a decent mapper asap.
Cars probably knackered now then, boost spikes and the like.
Old 27 February 2017, 03:59 PM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

Hi nope...prev owner fitted the Ind kit and exhaust bit never mapped it.

My plan is to map it ASAP. Just getting funds and research best mapper etc.

I hope no damage has been done. Still sounds fine...not really going crazy in it as I knew I wasn't running correct.
Old 27 February 2017, 05:17 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

so in a year and a busted gearbox the car has been driven off boost for the whole time, as this is the advice we give people if they ask about fitting mods before a remap,
Decats are very well known to cause boost spikes, and the un-mapped induction change . . . .
Old 27 February 2017, 06:49 PM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

Hi my lass drove the car daily to work across town. I used on weekend with kids in...so never thrashed it. She then told me of a noise..I checked dropped oil and chunky heaven.

New box and clutch. Again my lass been using for work. On weekends I use and noticed the flat.

Anything I should do now...prior to mapping. Will a rolling road tell me what the issue is.

I have a boost gauge here. Shall I fit. What will I see......over boost? What should the normal boost be,2 bar?

What about a boost leak? Or boost solenoid issue..

If I get the diagnostics done will this give me any codes as a clue. The ECL light is on due to Decat pipe anyway. So would expect the lambda code to show but what else?

Sorry for the questions lads.

Steve
Old 27 February 2017, 06:52 PM
staffychance
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
so in a year and a busted gearbox the car has been driven off boost for the whole time, as this is the advice we give people if they ask about fitting mods before a remap,
Decats are very well known to cause boost spikes, and the un-mapped induction change . . . .
Cheers mate....I knew the map would be needed but didn't think it would have as much of a negotive effect as this. Or as much of serious long term issue.

My worry is how long did the previous owner run with the mods without them being mapped in.