Notices

Air con woes

Search this Thread

Old 06 June 2016, 07:07 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air con woes

So the air con on my 96 v1/2 wrx has never worked since Ibought it off some cowboy last year. Took it to the local garage today to fill with refrigerant. Vacuum and leak detected nothing but under pressure the hose blow out from what looks like either the wrong pipe fitment or wrong pump. There is an extra bold thread on the pump to hold the hard hose as seen. Can sombody please post a picture of their setups so I can figure out what's wrong to buy/fix.

Old 06 June 2016, 07:43 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Mine is the same as that, I assume it's so the compressor can be used on other models. The seal at that joint is certainly leaking and will need replaced. It would be a good time to replace all the rubber seals and have the system pressure tested, evacuated and recharged with refrigerant. It should have been pressure tested first.
Old 06 June 2016, 08:05 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Was being pressure tested when it popped rather than refrigerant spraying everywhere. I confused myself when writing too quick. Vacuum and leak tests came in fine. Then pressure blew the seal. I've ordered a cheap replacement pump off eBay with single anchor point but when you say new seals is that just the rings ?
Old 06 June 2016, 08:41 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

What were they using to pressure test it? That looks like the suction pipe (low working pressure) going by the diameter. They only have a rubber seal on each joint, I think there's only 6 to replace. A trip to a dealer might be the best bet for those. Don't the early cars run on R12?
Old 06 June 2016, 09:10 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by piehole1983
What were they using to pressure test it? That looks like the suction pipe (low working pressure) going by the diameter. They only have a rubber seal on each joint, I think there's only 6 to replace. A trip to a dealer might be the best bet for those. Don't the early cars run on R12?
Was being done at an ats so they had the proper machines. The only.think I can think of is that I hadn't tightened it fully after doing the cam belt and all other belts. Dunno is it worth trying again tomorrow after tightening it and seeing if the same result happens. If it's just the rubber o-ring to seal it I can have them replaces easy.
Old 06 June 2016, 09:35 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Evansawd
Was being done at an ats so they had the proper machines. The only.think I can think of is that I hadn't tightened it fully after doing the cam belt and all other belts. Dunno is it worth trying again tomorrow after tightening it and seeing if the same result happens. If it's just the rubber o-ring to seal it I can have them replaces easy.
you have probably pinched the o ring when tightening it up, i would have thought with them having having recharge equipment that they would have the appropriate orings should a leak arise.
Old 06 June 2016, 10:35 PM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Well if there's no gas in it at the moment I would take the joint apart and check the seal for damage and refit if all is well. But for the sake of a few quid, replace them and be done with it.

I didn't realise the bolt had been loose at the time of the refill. They aren't just normal "rubber" as such, they could be EPDM or the likes that can withstand oil and whatever.
Old 07 June 2016, 01:48 PM
modrich
Scooby Regular

I'm going to replace the air con condenser/rad soon and will be changing all the O rings in the system (x6, 3 different sizes). As far as I can tell from some quick research HNBR high temp O rings are suitable and you can get them off ebay in sets and in Halfords. I think Subaru may only sell them with new pipes as no O ring part numbers are listed on parts catalogues
Old 07 June 2016, 11:43 PM
Evansawd
Scooby Regular

OK all O-rings replaced, 2 by the battery area were trickiest but still easy enough. Am hoping I just forgot to tighten the hose down via the bolt and that's why it popped. Prints were a little flattend but not completely shot :/
Old 08 June 2016, 08:12 AM
piehole1983
Scooby Regular

Good job, hopefully that cures it!