Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

I've been offered a dog, advice please asap.

Search this Thread

Old 25 May 2009, 12:10 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've been offered a dog, advice please asap.

Been offered a dog by a family member and am very tempted to get him. Thing is I need to take him today if having him as they've got someone else interested. I've always wanted a dog, so this a question for all of you that have a dog.

I'm a little worried about how he would be while we're out at work? I work most days and carly works 3 days a week. It's a 18 month old staff. He's fully trained and very obedient (sp). I was going to put a dog flap in either the back door or in the shed so he has somewhere to go during the day for shelter but can also be outside if he wants.

He'll have plenty of room in the garden and there must be loads of people that have a dog and work 9-5. I know some breeds don't like being on their own - English bull dog for example - just wondered what you guys thought.

Cheers,

Matt.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:19 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Totally depends on how much he has been left alone whilst growing up Matt. If the answer is "not much" then he may take time to adapt to the new routine, but they do adapt, eventually.

Oz is regularly alone from 8am - 4pm but as this has always been the routine we never have a problem. and the neighbour says she never hears a sound from him.

My main concern would be, Why are they re-homing?
Old 25 May 2009, 12:25 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Brian.

Don't think they were ready for an energetic dog. He hadn't been left on his own much when they got him a few weeks ago. He had been owned by their friend who lived in a flat but took him to work. Their neighbour said that he'd cried a bit during the day but they've been leaving him locked inside. I think I'd cry if i couldn't go out or go to the toilet for 8 hours if i wanted / needed to.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:40 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mneame
I think I'd cry if i couldn't go out or go to the toilet for 8 hours if i wanted / needed to.
Not a problem for a dog, who's used to it.

Have you owned a dog before Matt?

If not, maybe this would not be an ideal 1st one, as a fair amount of re-conditioning would be required, which will take time.

But if you do decide to go for it and would like some pointers, just let me know and I'll pop round.
Old 25 May 2009, 12:55 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Hey Matt, totally agree with Brian.

Staff are great dogs, but he's 18 months old and so its gonna take time and committment for him to fit in with your family way of life!

I have homed older dogs before and it can be tough especially with the kids etc. I have a great trainer and when i've taken older dogs (4 months up) i like to whizz them by her's first so she can give me her opinion and advice etc.

Staffs are quite renowned for chewing in the early years, teething etc - so how destructive has he been when locked in! Is he crate trained etc? Or was he just left to roam?

If your hankering for a dog, maybe look to get one from a pup (6-10 weeks) then it will become what you want and the re-conditioning that Brian has mentioned wouldn't be required!

Good luck - keep us posted
Old 25 May 2009, 01:35 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Guys.

Nope Brian, never owned a dog before. But have looked after others when their owners have been away.

Particularly taken with this one, not only of looks, but because he's already house trained. Doesn't chew the furniture etc just what he's given as a toy. I've always said that if I get a dog I would want to get a dog that needs rehoming.

We've been offered him on a trial basis for a week to see how we get on with him. Perhaps you guys could pop round and see what you think of him when we get him?
Old 25 May 2009, 02:04 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Anytime Matt, just give me a shout.
Old 25 May 2009, 02:10 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Cheers Brian
Old 25 May 2009, 02:19 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Good on you Matt - SO many dogs out there looking for good homes.

Any pics
Old 25 May 2009, 02:30 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

This is Louis. Will be going to pick him up in a bit. Going to get him a few new toys and a comfy bed first.

Old 25 May 2009, 02:32 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

oh and i guess i better hurry and sell the convertible and buy a wagon
Old 25 May 2009, 02:35 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Ah bless, he's got the look of a little angel. Mine's perfected that look too, and looks can be deceiving.

He will settle a bit better if you can use his old bed for a little while.
Old 25 May 2009, 02:37 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BRI4N
Ah bless, he's got the look of a little angel. Mine's perfected that look too, and looks can be deceiving.

He will settle a bit better if you can use his old bed for a little while.

will be sure to pick it up. Seeing as a nice day i think we'll go for a walk when we get back. This could be the start of me doing some nice exercise.
Old 25 May 2009, 02:46 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

This could be the start of me doing some nice exercise.
Yep, every morning and every evening, come rain or shine. Unless you're lucky, like me, and he doesn't do rain. Oz refuses to leave the house in more than spitting rain.
Old 25 May 2009, 02:51 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Yup already planned my morning walk to the paper shop to get the day's paper and then back via the field at the back of our house for a play for a while. Then just got to have a look for a different walk in the evening. Although will probably just start walking and see where i end up.
Old 25 May 2009, 04:33 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

He looks lovely - we've always had Staffs in the family and generally they are lovely dogs.

Just be sensible when it comes to Louis and your little chap - a biscuit dropped on the floor can become a problem if they both think it's theirs!!

My cousin had a rescue Staff which didn't work out well, so just make sure they both have their own space & know the rules from the start.

Otherwise, happy walking & as Ms Gooner says, it's great to see another rescue dog being rehomed.
Old 25 May 2009, 05:16 PM
spally
Scooby Regular

was thinking along the same lines as above.

staffs are lovely dogs, but IMO i wouldnt have 1 anywhere around kids....sorry not having a go Matt, after having 1 living next to us for 3 years, wouldnt have 1 near kids.
Old 25 May 2009, 05:47 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

I can see what Spally is saying - but i think to just exercise "caution" would be enough. Matt, see what he's like in the home and on the lead and you'll soon get a gist for his training experience and family life.
By rule of thumb - its rare to find a "bad dog" - as "bad dogs" have BAD OWNERS. They are like children - you get out what you put in...... you train a dog with love, praise and affection and you will receive loyalty in return and respect. Beat a dog and treat it badly, you WILL reap what you sew.

Good luck matt - be careful over food though. When you feed him - make him sit and show you manners, feed him AFTER you eat and when he's eating - take the bowl before he's finished and make him sit again! Stroke him whilst he's eating so he realises its OK to be touched - just incase your littlen starts pulling on his tail whilst he's eating his dinner!

Above all - have fun
Old 25 May 2009, 06:06 PM
Mrs ESC
Scooby Regular

Location: Loving the ESC FAMILY thing. F*CK the TROUBLE MAKERS :D

Our Jack Jack is home in his cage from 8am till I get home anywhere between 12 and 3pm he has never messed or wet in his cage and is fine. Do feel guilty at times when he is on his own for ages. Dogs do adapt well and once in a routine he will be fine just a case of training him again and not giving up.

Also when Tiny gets up in the morning he never heads out the door first ar 5am he always comes up stair to me until I get up for work at 6.30am. now you would think he would be ready for a wee by then.lol

Last edited by Mrs ESC; 25 May 2009 at 06:12 PM.
Old 25 May 2009, 06:48 PM
kevin wrx
Scooby Regular

i have a staff which i have had since she was 8 weeks old,very very good temperement and great with other dogs and cats,as everyone else has said just be careful with your kids and see how it goes,my dog is great with my kids and have never had any problems with my dog around anyone elses kids.they r great dogs with a bad rep,i hope all goes well and let the dog no that your in charge.
Old 25 May 2009, 07:49 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by spally

staffs are lovely dogs, but IMO i wouldnt have 1 anywhere around kids....sorry not having a go Matt, after having 1 living next to us for 3 years, wouldnt have 1 near kids.
Matt, I've had dogs for years, and untill the recent addition, always kid friendly breads, labradors, but even with those we had issues at one stage with the kids.

I would just be very wary of re-homing any dog, even a very placid breed, with young kids. This one has been unfortunate to have had 3 homes already.
Dogs take a lot of time, commitment and money.
You can't just go out anymore, you have to exercise them regardless of the weather, you house will smell of dog, it could possibly damage things when left alone, or even whilst you are there.
I love dogs, and would not want to be without them, but there are serious consequences of dog ownership - have you ever had to pick up dog poo before?
Please very carefully consider if this is the right thing for you, and more importantly your family - not just the little'n,
Old 25 May 2009, 07:50 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by spally

I agree we always had them about, but we were much older kids - I am not convinced about 'toddler' size with any dog, unless you know the compete history.

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
I can see what Spally is saying - but i think to just exercise "caution" would be enough. Matt, see what he's like in the home and on the lead and you'll soon get a gist for his training experience and family life.
By rule of thumb - its rare to find a "bad dog" - as "bad dogs" have BAD OWNERS.
Again I agree, which is why I would only take a rescue dog if I knew it's complete history.

As you say, bad owners are almost always to blame - how many times have we read 'dog mauls child' but when you read on you find a 2 year old with a packet of biscuits has been shut in a room with a dog. Doesn't take a lot of working out.

Originally Posted by Mrs ESC
Also when Tiny gets up in the morning he never heads out the door first at 5am he always comes up stair to me until I get up for work at 6.30am. now you would think he would be ready for a wee by then.lol
Only because you are!! Its an age thing (all to do with turning 40!! )
Old 25 May 2009, 08:02 PM
customdanioc
Scooby Regular

When we got our white shepherd...Dave he was 6 months old and house, well 5th floor flat trained, went out twice a day for toilet etc...

The Staffi may be trained now but a change of household and routine can affect them....Take Dave....

He chewed a bit when left and trainer put it down to anxiety at new home and being left....even tho we already had a labrador in the house

So we went down the cage route, bloody great thing , but he associated it with being his space and our Labrador never went near it .....

Got to stage where when we were about during day cage would be left with door open and he would quite often take himself off and go an lay in it......

Anyway he is now a handsome boy of 2 and the cage is gone.........his trainer wants him to go on to do agility but I think he is too much of a tit lol.....

Dave,

He liked the neighbours dog, kept getting into our garden lol

He was smaller in this pic, put on weight and size now.... ;-)

Last edited by customdanioc; 25 May 2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:27 PM
scoobyed
Scooby Regular

I have a staffy and a labrador/rottweiler, the staffy is great with just about anything, they are very loving dogs and more often than not get a bad rep from bad owners, mine was a rescue at 4 years old and is so gentle with my 3 kids. They can be demanding for attention but as mentioned that would depend on what they have been used to previously. It is not unusual for male staffys to be aggressive with other dogs so bear that in mind when walking and meeting others, perhaps keep him on lead for a while until you are sure of his temperament.Good luck with him, hope it all goes well.
Old 25 May 2009, 10:51 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

been home a couple of hours. took him for a walk / run while i was there and he's ok. needs a lot of training though. pulls on the lead strongly. the collar he has seems all wrong for him. it's very tight and very thin for the size of his neck and is wearing the fur away where it rubs so much. i've taken it off him for now. i think i'll get him a harness type tomorrow.

he's been around kids a fair bit and does as he's told although still very much of a puppy. he came bounding up to me when i arrived there but he was very calm when i got him home. he'll sit when you tell him and lay down. stay needs a bit of work. he'll never be left alone with samuel, nor would any dog that i got though.

i've been round a few staffs what with friends from school and college having them and they have always been very well tempered. so far Louis seems to be along the same lines. we've got him on a trial at the moment but hopefully all will go well.

i just tried getting him to lay on his bed in the kitchen which he done well. i left the light on for him and shut the door. he didn't bark but was whining. perhaps a step to far from straight off. i'll leave his bed there but leave the door open.

at the moment he's laying on the living room floor with me now watching what i'm typing.
Old 25 May 2009, 11:03 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

i think i'll get him a harness type tomorrow.
NOOOOOOOOO!!! He can pull at least twice as hard on a harness.

We'll have a chat tomorrow.
Old 25 May 2009, 11:11 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

cheers Brian
Old 26 May 2009, 06:26 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Good luck Matt, hope it all works out well for you and the woofy
Old 26 May 2009, 07:44 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Hey Matt - start as you mean to go on

Get a choke chain - or a flat leather collar - and if you want to take him to a trainer - PM me for details
Old 26 May 2009, 08:51 AM
scoobyed
Scooby Regular

You mention that he still acts like a puppy and bounds around a lot, my staffy is around 9 or 10 rears old now and still behaves like a puppy bounding around and jumping all over the place, it's just a staffy thing, they are generally all slightly mad!!!

Quick Reply: I've been offered a dog, advice please asap.