Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

AndrewCarr SuperRom - Please Read

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2012, 06:49 PM
Carbibbles
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AndrewCarr SuperRom - Please Read

Hello from across the pond. I recently came across mention of Andrew Carr tuning with a modified ROM called SuperRom, I believe that this is a rip-off of a project ROM I have been creating over the last year called the CarBerry ROM. I have also heard that somebody has been claiming that the CarBerry ROM is "unstable" and that another method [SuperRom?] is a better tuning solution.

I would like to make sure that these assumptions are correct before making a complete accusation so if anybody has been mapped on the SuperRom and is willing to send me a copy of their map so that I can compare against the CarBerry ROM please send me a PM on here or romraider.com.

Thank you

Jason
Old 15 November 2012, 07:20 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Jason why not send andrew Carr an email
And sort it out with him rather then on here

Just a thought

Martin
Old 15 November 2012, 07:24 PM
Carbibbles
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye
Jason why not send andrew Carr an email
And sort it out with him rather then on here

Just a thought

Martin

He knows what is going on, my intentions are to let the community know what is going on.

Im not trying to discredit his tuning abilities, but rather regain credit for the work that was done with the creation of the ROM.

I am fairly certain that the ROM is a rip-off, if I find that he indeed created his own ROM then I will surely take back everything I have said and state an apology.

Last edited by Carbibbles; 15 November 2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 15 November 2012, 07:31 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Is this rom actually licenced? Or any cover been made for protection or copyright?
My instincts think that most os maps are probably based on your carberry rom, but could be wrong
Old 15 November 2012, 07:37 PM
Carbibbles
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Is this rom actually licenced? Or any cover been made for protection or copyright?
My instincts think that most os maps are probably based on your carberry rom, but could be wrong
As 99% of the rom was coded by subaru/denso, they hold rights to all roms as far as I know. I have provided everything free as a fun project to help out guys that dont want to or can't afford expensive aftermarket ECUs. But for somebody else to take credit for the work and try to make money off of it is very aggravating.

Most OS maps are definitely not based off the carberry rom, the guys over on romraider have been digging through the stock roms for years to figure everything out. So most OS maps are stock subaru maps that have been opened up to allow them to be tuned. The carberry rom is a stock rom that has been modified, there are a couple guys that have created modified roms for 32bit subarus as well. ECUtek and Cobb or any other are also stock roms that have been modified.

Last edited by Carbibbles; 15 November 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 15 November 2012, 07:41 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Carbibbles
He knows what is going on, my intentions are to let the community know what is going on.

Im not trying to discredit his tuning abilities, but rather regain credit for the work that was done with the creation of the ROM.

I am fairly certain that the ROM is a rip-off, if I find that he indeed created his own ROM then I will surely take back everything I have said and state an apology.
Appreciate where your coming from Jason but rather then speaking out then having to make an apology would it not make sense to get the facts then post this up?

Apologies if I've got the wrong end of the stick here but all these threads trying to ruin the reputation of a person/organisation are becoming a little ridiculous now. For some this is there bread n butter

Martin
Old 15 November 2012, 07:50 PM
scoobiewrx555
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's your bread and butter you should play the game. You take it to a whole different level though when you rip-off someone's work and slag the original off, which is only what you are still using, for being unstable. FPMSL!!

If it's all his own work why has he taken down all references to SuperROM off his site, this evening when all this has kicked off!! If he's nothing to worry about, leave it where it is and exactly as it was. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to make sense of that.

It's all very disappointing and does OS tuners no favours at all!!
Old 15 November 2012, 08:05 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Why is it when a guy is not happy and voices his views he's told to do it in private ?

No , honesty is what we need good or bad , if it's a praise thread about how such and such did a good job , then it's pats on backs and shout from the roof tops

But heaven forbid Somone speaks out against one of the golden ball mappers and it's hush hush

Wake up , I've never seen such a bunch of mushrooms
Old 15 November 2012, 08:15 PM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

The rough should be taken with the smooth.
Old 15 November 2012, 08:27 PM
Carbibbles
Scooby Newbie

I just want to re-state that I am not trying to say that AndrewCarr is a bad tuner (I have no idea how well he tunes), and I have no problem with people mapping with the CarBerry ROM. But to change the name and take credit for the ROM, that is definitely wrong, especially to say the CarBerry ROM is flawed and their ROM is better when they are using the CarBerry ROM to being with!

Just as an addition to this, because I think some people don't have a complete understanding of how mapping works.

There are two parts to a rom, the logic and then the maps. When somebody maps/tunes a car they are changing the maps within the rom. The maps determine how much fuel is injected and when the spark is fired (as well as other things). A mapper generally does not change the logic(sometimes referred to as "firmware"). The logic is all the computations and control that makes everything run, it takes the data from the maps and controls the injectors and coils(along with all the other sensors and outputs) to achieve what the data is asking for. The CarBerry ROM is basically a modified logic/firmware to add features and change the way things are computed, as well as having more maps that have been defined or "discovered". All stock ECU roms are based on the original subaru/denso programming.

Last edited by Carbibbles; 15 November 2012 at 08:29 PM.
Old 15 November 2012, 08:37 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
+ 1 Without a doubt
Old 15 November 2012, 08:52 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

Tbh it dosent stop anyone else from doing the same if this is the case and I'm sure somewhere in the world that other people are/will be doing the same or similar without you knowing yet.
After all bibbles you have put it up on the Internet.
I do agree it's a bit wrong but that's the kind of thing that happens in most cases that's published on Internet.
Old 15 November 2012, 09:45 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CharlySkunkWeed
Originally Posted by bustaMOVEs
Tbh it dosent stop anyone else from doing the same if this is the case and I'm sure somewhere in the world that other people are/will be doing the same or similar without you knowing yet.
After all bibbles you have put it up on the Internet.
I do agree it's a bit wrong but that's the kind of thing that happens in most cases that's published on Internet.
Yes anyone can use anything generally speaking but I think the main two issues are
Why claim it's you're work ?
And why discredit the quality of the rom , when infact it's what you are using ?

It may turn out he's done niether , but IMHO this is being done by a few mappers out there
Old 16 November 2012, 02:47 AM
AndrewC
Scooby Regular

SuperROM IS Carberry as written by Jason.

I apologise to Jason for not giving him the credit he deserves for the work he has put into developing Carberry, it is truly amazing!

I have never knowingly claimed that I developed the software, however, I accept that by advertising it under another name I have inadvertently given some people that impression.

I took down the SuperROM webpage this afternoon after receiving several alarming text messages from customers without actually knowing what had been posted.

The term SuperROM actually started out as a slightly tongue-in-cheek codename used when I was testing the first few cars on the Carberry ROM and started hearing some worrying rumours that I had been using untested and unstable software on customer cars. The name stuck and I now realise that I should have published the information with a clear acknowledgement that it was Carberry.

Andrew...
Old 16 November 2012, 03:00 AM
Carbibbles
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by AndrewC

I apologise to Jason for not giving him the credit he deserves for the work he has put into developing Carberry, it is truly amazing!

I have never knowingly claimed that I developed the software, however, I accept that by advertising it under another name I have inadvertently given some people that impression.

I took down the SuperROM webpage this afternoon after receiving several alarming text messages from customers without actually knowing what had been posted.

The term SuperROM actually started out as a slightly tongue-in-cheek codename used when I was testing the first few cars on the Carberry ROM and started hearing some worrying rumours that I had been using untested and unstable software on customer cars. The name stuck and I now realise that I should have published the information with a clear acknowledgement that it was Carberry.

Andrew...

I appreciate you making things right by posting this. Im glad that so many people are interested in running the CarBerry ROM, I just ask that I be accredited for the work done with it. I hope you can continue having positive results while tuning with it under its rightful name.

Thank you

Jason
Old 16 November 2012, 07:22 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndrewC

Andrew...
As its been said Andrew your mapping skills have never been put into question
And the fact you have been using carberry does not mean your service is sub standard / poor quality at all
In fact IMHO it says the opposite , I have spoke to a couple of tuners who didn't even know what carberry was
You have obviously also heard the doubters spouting about the quality of the rom ( even though they are probably using it )
In light of what's happened and it's now common knowledge you've been using carberry professionally with great results , maybe you should stand firm and help dispell all the quality rumours and help put an end to some pro mapping attitudes of secrecy and we know what's good but not saying
Maybe you could give a little input of your experience using it , ie , repositioned iat sensor , anti lag results ect
It's no secret I'm not the biggest fan of commercial mapping ,and the bit of the **** up you've made doesn't strengthen those thoughts
But what I will say is now carberry is out of the bag and being used on the commercial scene , folk should not hesitate to ask you to map their cars with it and maybe you can start pushing it forward and enlighten folk to how good the rom actually is , And the fantastic results they will see

Cheers tony
Old 16 November 2012, 11:27 AM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

andy mapped my motor with this and i agree with what he has said about not claiming to have developed it

when i asked for a standard map tweak he told me about this new system that had come out with anti lag and launch control ect on standard ecu and he could now offer it and at no time did he say he developed it i jumped at the chance and im glad i did

andy is a nice genuine bloke and has mapped my car and advised me on mods for the past 3 years with no issues at all
so the people calling him a rip-off and scumbag must never have met him
Old 16 November 2012, 11:52 AM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dave-W-
andy mapped my motor with this and i agree with what he has said about not claiming to have developed it

when i asked for a standard map tweak he told me about this new system that had come out with anti lag and launch control ect on standard ecu and he could now offer it and at no time did he say he developed it i jumped at the chance and im glad i did

andy is a nice genuine bloke and has mapped my car and advised me on mods for the past 3 years with no issues at all
so the people calling him a rip-off and scumbag must never have met him
Ill 2nd that Dave how does the car feel now? Have you got anti lag with this new rom? After I've sourced some ported headers and up pipe it'll be getting another tweak from Andy

Martin
Old 16 November 2012, 12:04 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M2RTXbugeye
Ill 2nd that Dave how does the car feel now? Have you got anti lag with this new rom? After I've sourced some ported headers and up pipe it'll be getting another tweak from Andy

Martin

feels great andy is mapping it again today just had a front mount and a few other bits fitted and stripped some weight just in time for buttertubbs run on sunday you coming for a run out ?
Old 16 November 2012, 12:25 PM
M2RTXhawkeye
Scooby Regular

Awsome that mate what spec you got now pal? Would love anti lag but don't think I can have it lol.

Heard about this run yesterday what's the plan?

Martin
Old 16 November 2012, 12:33 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

are you a LADS member ?

spec

Twin maf-less Maps
inc-
Anti Lag
Launch Control
Flat Foot Shifting
Knock Sensor)

mdx 321t billet and ceramic coated turbo

650CC injectors

roger clark oil catch tank

FMIC

aps cold air intake with k&n cone filter

fuelab fuel pressure regulator

hi power fuel pump

18”Rota Grid Alloy Wheels with falken 452 tyres

apex bc coilovers

whitline adjustable front anti roll bar

whitline adjustable rear anti roll bar

whiteline droplinks

full geometry setup by cotton competition

prodrive front strut brace

sti rear strut brace

prodrive diff guard

prodrive wr1 front lower grill
front splitter

prodrive battery clamp

prodrive oil cap

engine dress including -

sfs silicone hoses

powder coated manifold

paintwork

polished engine bay bolts

revolution 3inch turbo back exhaust

heat wrapped rcm gt spec headers

ACT 6 paddle clutch

fidanza light weight fly wheel

colour matched painted brembo’s

jdm amber defi style speedo

triple amber defi gauges

custom red light interior mod

s204 matte black interior trim

spec c black seats and carpet

custom sti floor mats

top rear window spoiler

de-tangoed headlights

pioneer double din head unit

pioneer door speakers

pioneer active subwoofer

tinted windows

ken block/monster energy decals
Old 16 November 2012, 01:11 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

This may be the wrong time/place to ask this, but does this version of software allow 2 full maps on a standard sti ecu? i.e i can have a "eco" (use the term very lightly) and a full out meths/antilag/flat shift ***** out map?
Old 16 November 2012, 01:16 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Truss
This may be the wrong time/place to ask this, but does this version of software allow 2 full maps on a standard sti ecu? i.e i can have a "eco" (use the term very lightly) and a full out meths/antilag/flat shift ***** out map?

yes
Old 16 November 2012, 01:17 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

wowsers. I use pole position for my work and they rave about andrew carr.
Think this may be worth a look into. Don't suppose you know pricewise what im looking at?
Old 16 November 2012, 01:38 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

£300-£500 depending on how many features I think
Best speak to Andy
Old 16 November 2012, 01:50 PM
Truss
Scooby Regular

Sound, yeah i will get in touch, got a few more bits to collect but will have a chat i think.
Cheers fella!
Old 16 November 2012, 02:05 PM
bustaMOVEs
Scooby Regular

If anything this is good business for andy for the non DIY mappers out there because it's now proven he has made a formal apology for whatever has gone wrong etc but at the same time he uses the carberry rom which is proven now that it's the dogs bollocks with all the feature you may need without buying the expensive aftermarket ecus at a great cost.
Old 16 November 2012, 03:50 PM
Dave-W-
Scooby Regular

just picked mine up its had a front mount and a few other bits done
and andy has tweaked both maps and charged peanuts

loving the sound and the extra power car feels great

going back in soon to reverse inlet and strip some more weight off
Old 17 November 2012, 12:25 AM
ad uk
Scooby Regular

Andy mapping mine on Thursday can't wait hoping for some nice power fingers crossed he mapped it befor and car was quick car at around 330 on vf 34 so can't wait now got billet 46 and fully forged reversed inlet etc
Old 17 November 2012, 09:56 AM
Berks-Jack
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ad uk
Andy mapping mine on Thursday can't wait hoping for some nice power fingers crossed he mapped it befor and car was quick car at around 330 on vf 34 so can't wait now got billet 46 and fully forged reversed inlet etc
Is your 34 up for sale bud?

Quick Reply: AndrewCarr SuperRom - Please Read