Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Map Sensor Worth Upgrading?

Search this Thread

Old 14 August 2012, 09:22 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Map Sensor Worth Upgrading?

I am going to have my Simtek/Alcatek upgraded to the latest firmware shortly which will required a remap, plus I am fitting a Toucan and sensors but it occurs to me would it be a worthwhile exercise to upgrade the MAP sensor?

My car is a 2004 Blobeye Spec C with a couple of modifications, what practical benefits would this bring to the new map and the driveability of the car?

The car is going to be mapped by Bob Rawle and it would be easy enough to email him, and he'd be happy to respond but I've sent him enough emails recently so I thought I would post my question up here.
Old 14 August 2012, 09:48 PM
tweaks
Scooby Regular

Depends on how much boost you intend to run really.

Tim
Old 14 August 2012, 09:50 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why he is asking Tim as I have stripped the car now and it's up on blocks
Old 14 August 2012, 10:24 PM
JTinnovations
Former Sponsor

A Spec C has a 3 bar maps sensor as standard. This means it can measure manifold pressure up to 3 bar...or, if you prefer, 2 bar of boost. My car is mapped for 1.65bar boost, but peaks to 1.8 boost...so a 3 bar MAP sensor is just fine.

Only if you want to run more boost than that do you need a higher range MAP sensor. If you fit one unnecessarily you will be losing resolution, with poorer boost control, so it's actually a retrograde step
Old 14 August 2012, 10:28 PM
Cannon Fodder
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTinnovations
A Spec C has a 3 bar maps sensor as standard. This means it can measure manifold pressure up to 3 bar...or, if you prefer, 2 bar of boost. My car is mapped for 1.65bar boost, but peaks to 1.8 boost...so a 3 bar MAP sensor is just fine.

Only if you want to run more boost than that do you need a higher range MAP sensor. If you fit one unnecessarily you will be losing resolution, with poorer boost control, so it's actually a retrograde step
Thanks Tim, I knew I could rely on you for a sensible and well written response.