Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Help - ECU Legacy Boxer Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 23 January 2019, 03:55 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - ECU Legacy Boxer Diesel

Hi all
I'm new here but am desperate for help. I bought a Legacy Boxer Diesel 6 months ago. The DPF light came on. Basically in a nut shell, It's still in the garage and they have told me it's gone too far for a forced re-gen, the DPF sensor has been replaced, the DPF is clean and clear the pipes are clear. Soot > 135%DPF Limp-Home Mode = DTC P1469 or P246C: DPF light flashing: and MIL on: . but the car is driving perfectly. Apparently we need some software to tell the ECU to go back to factory limits due to pressure sensor failure. Otherwise I think it's a trip to Subaru who will replace whatever it is they need to replace and we're talking thousands of £.
Don't know where to look or what to do next....
Old 23 January 2019, 06:14 PM
Yann
Scooby Newbie

It should be like other subaru, if you change any sensor, you need to perform a reset of the Ecu
and drive after in order (for the ecu) to make the new learnings.
You only need a diagnostic tool (to plug on the obd port on the car) to do this reset.
Maybe a procedure without laptop or diag tool is possible on this car, I don't know
Old 23 January 2019, 06:28 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Yann
It should be like other subaru, if you change any sensor, you need to perform a reset of the Ecu
and drive after in order (for the ecu) to make the new learnings.
You only need a diagnostic tool (to plug on the obd port on the car) to do this reset.
Maybe a procedure without laptop or diag tool is possible on this car, I don't know
Thank you Yann
Yes we need to trick the ECU into thinking a new DPF has been fitted which I am told can only be done with the software. They have tried the diagnostic tool but it won't let them re-set the ECU because it's coming up with the limp home mode so this needs to be over written.
Old 23 January 2019, 10:52 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Basically their diagnostic kit won’t do it. Like a lot of aftermarket kit out there 99% will read and clear codes, but a lot won’t do additional tasks like ash counter resets. Especially with non-mainstream systems like Denso.

What would be helpful is knowing what equipment the garage used, as there is no point recommending a garage who uses the same kit (like a Snap on Modus/solus which is very common...and limited). I doubt Bosch KTS will do it either (unless the 2018q4 update has improved support for Japanese diesels).

A Delphi VCi (or clone) may do it, or a Launch.

Last edited by ALi-B; 24 January 2019 at 07:14 AM.
Old 23 January 2019, 11:28 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts

You need to use Subaru select monitor to reset the oil dilution and tell the ecu you have fitted a new DPF then run a forced regeneration but at the soot accumulation value you have it will probably abort the regen and throw you out but keep trying and it should get there after a few attempts.
if that doesn't work it's either a new DPF or send it away to be cleaned.
Its also worth doing an injector pump and injector re learn afterwards.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:17 AM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Thank you so much SMithys STI. I think that's what's happening. They are being thrown out. They have cleaned DPF and checked air is going through pipes. The car runs lovely but all the dash lights still on. I will tell them to try a few more times.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:20 AM
Karen Mcfall
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Basically their diagnostic kit won’t do it. Like a lot of aftermarket kit out there 99% will read and clear codes, but a lot won’t do additional tasks like ash counter resets. Especially with non-mainstream systems like Denso.

What would be helpful is knowing what equipment the garage used, as there is no point recommending a garage who uses the same kit (like a Snap on Modus/solus which is very common...and limited). I doubt Bosch KTS will do it either (unless the 2018q4 update has improved support for Japanese diesels).

A Delphi VCi (or clone) may do it, or a Launch.

I'm petty sure I remember him saying it's a snap on.
Old 24 January 2019, 11:23 AM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

I'm sure garage used a snap on
Old 24 January 2019, 11:29 AM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by karenmc66
Thank you so much SMithys STI. I think that's what's happening. They are being thrown out. They have cleaned DPF and checked air is going through pipes. The car runs lovely but all the dash lights still on. I will tell them to try a few more times.
Just make sure they have reset the oil dilution as an orange flashing DPF light means the oil dilution ratio is too high.
Old 24 January 2019, 01:59 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Ok I will make sure they have done that. As far as I know none of the lights have gone off. And now the soot value has gone up!!!! But the DPF is clean. But they have found an air leak they are going to investigate. I think it's in the region of the turbo. Hoping this may be something to do with it. Plan is to get the right diagnostic tool. Run car until she gets hot and readings come down then run the tool that will re-set it. If that makes sense. I am totally a non car understanding so this is pretty hard for me to keep up. Any input gratefully received though. I did find a guy who can take the DPF code out of the ECU but garage doesn't want to risk that.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:16 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Received 278 Likes on 248 Posts

If you have a leak in the pipework that goes to the DPS it will effect the readings to the ecu as will a large leak in the large pipework pre turbo.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:19 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by 1509joe
If you have a leak in the pipework that goes to the DPS it will effect the readings to the ecu as will a large leak in the large pipework pre turbo.
Does that mean it could be a possibility as to what the problem is?
Old 24 January 2019, 02:21 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Quite possibly but if you study the live data on the diagnostics you should with a bit of time and experience be able to pinpoint the problem to a certain degree.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:23 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Ok, well thank you. I shall wait to see what the garage says.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:30 PM
1509joe
Scooby Regular

Another thing that should be mentioned after all the messing about and it does'nt matter if it was changed last week it will need an oil change for safety's sake.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:31 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by karenmc66
Ok I will make sure they have done that. As far as I know none of the lights have gone off. And now the soot value has gone up!!!! But the DPF is clean. But they have found an air leak they are going to investigate. I think it's in the region of the turbo. Hoping this may be something to do with it. Plan is to get the right diagnostic tool. Run car until she gets hot and readings come down then run the tool that will re-set it. If that makes sense. I am totally a non car understanding so this is pretty hard for me to keep up. Any input gratefully received though. I did find a guy who can take the DPF code out of the ECU but garage doesn't want to risk that.
Through experience on subaru diesels the soot value always goes up before coming back down during a forced regeneration.
The intercooler hose on the N/S of the intercooler is very common to split but you would hear it leaking when on boost.
Old 24 January 2019, 02:32 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Ok I will mention that too. I'm dreading the bill!!!!!
Old 24 January 2019, 02:34 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Smithys STI
Through experience on subaru diesels the soot value always goes up before coming back down during a forced regeneration.
The intercooler hose on the N/S of the intercooler is very common to split but you would hear it leaking when on boost.
I did start to hear a sort of hissing noise when I put my foot on the throttle. I'm just really really hoping this might be it. The car is driving fine apparently but it's just getting those lights off. But they are obviously on for a reason. I don't know whether a split hose would show on diagnostics would it?
Old 24 January 2019, 03:23 PM
Smithys STI
Scooby Regular

If your hearing a hissing sound get them to check the underside of the intercooler hose on the passenger side they always spit there.
Sometimes it will log a fault relating to the airflow/map sensor other times no code.
Old 24 January 2019, 03:32 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Brilliant thanks
Old 02 February 2019, 03:03 PM
karenmc66
Scooby Newbie

Just to keep you in the loop. It was an air leak in a pipe at the back of the engine. Once replaced and DPF cleaned and re-genned all lights went out. Thanks to all that gave advice.