Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ITB N/A engine

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2018, 11:30 PM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ITB N/A engine

Hello there Subie lovers, i am new here so i don't know if i'm on the right section of the forum or did i put something wrong at the tittle.

Thing is, i have very much love for Subaru since i was a kid,now i own one, recently i bought an Blobeye from 2004, EJ201 GD9 Non-Turbo 125hp 2.0 GX
The first mod i want to do for the engine (yes and i know isn't worth but i just want to start from bottom to top :P ) ITB'S. And here are my stupid question, those exist on internet to buy like just buy and put them on the engine or do i need to buy some itb's and modify them to fit on the engine and works propely ? i saw some posts on "Google" or "Youtube" but not very much about them,just some threads or clips seeing an ej20/25 engine's with itb's but they was kinda modified not like "plug&play" so i'm in big doubt's about this...Hope i can get help from you guys. Thanks

Last edited by Nileda; 17 July 2018 at 02:07 AM.
Old 17 July 2018, 11:24 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

why on earth would you want to? i know you said you realise that but i dont think you do.
your gonna spend a hell of alot of money and still not be anywhere near the performance of a turbo'd version.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:01 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...turbo-itb.html

https://www.scoobynet.com/general-te...onversion.html

Last edited by Don Clark; 17 July 2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:38 PM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
why on earth would you want to? i know you said you realise that but i dont think you do.
your gonna spend a hell of alot of money and still not be anywhere near the performance of a turbo'd version.
I will do a turbo conversion after i try to gain some performance on this N/A engine, i know this is worthless but like i said,i want to start from the bottom, like " i want more,after that i want more and more" but, there is a but. If it is like you said. "alot of money" i will change my mind to keep that money and put more next to them to do a conversion, i want to make it WRX so thanks for the reply. I will be back with update's about it hope i will get there where i wish to be.

P,S : If isn't worth for ITB's a larger throttle body i think will be much better than the stock one. So...I need custom one or can i put other one from other engine like ej251/253/ej20. ?

Last edited by Nileda; 17 July 2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 17 July 2018, 04:55 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Nileda
I will do a turbo conversion after i try to gain some performance on this N/A engine, i know this is worthless but like i said,i want to start from the bottom, like " i want more,after that i want more and more" but, there is a but. If it is like you said. "alot of money" i will change my mind to keep that money and put more next to them to do a conversion, i want to make it WRX so thanks for the reply. I will be back with update's about it hope i will get there where i wish to be.
The NA engine is different to the turbo'd engine, compression etc, so it wont ever perform as well even if you add a turbo it. Best bet is just do a few cosmetic things if you want to to your current car, but save the rest of the money and put it into a proper turbo'd version later on.

Only other option is a full engine and running gear transplant, but then your talking mega bucks and again better off buying a turbo;d car to start with.
Old 18 July 2018, 03:35 AM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by Tidgy
The NA engine is different to the turbo'd engine, compression etc, so it wont ever perform as well even if you add a turbo it. Best bet is just do a few cosmetic things if you want to to your current car, but save the rest of the money and put it into a proper turbo'd version later on.

Only other option is a full engine and running gear transplant, but then your talking mega bucks and again better off buying a turbo;d car to start with.
Thanks for the reply and yes,i want to do some cosmetic change's. On the performance i have target on few horsepower more,not much, like from bigger throttle body, exhaust complete from the engine to the back. I already have K&N performance air filter (big one with long tube) and now i'm thinking to get some exhaust manifold from ebay like stainless steel something like that,just a little more performance,i know i can't get the performance even what an wrx 217hp does but for start is good for me after that, i will get some pulley kit and i think that's it. On the future i will change the engine + the gearbox and everything else need to make a proper WRX. For now i'm good,i need to know the curent horswpower of the engine because here where i live i do sometimes Touge and, well. I'm kinda newbie so that's why i asked those things,because i want to start from the bottom,not jumping in a rocket car and crashing myself lol xd Thanks guys. On future i will ask again help if i need for an conversion,and no,i will not buy an wrx turbo, i could do that before i buy this but,i want to satisfy myself building my impreza ty again.
Old 18 July 2018, 08:33 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

If starting from the bottom, that's tyres, brakes and suspension ; money better spent than throwing it away on a gx engine, which is well known to be a bad choice for extra hp. But I suspect you are already not listening to the advice given above, because it's not what you want to hear; You could buy a clean wrx for the cost of what you are proposing. Update the handling, tidy it up, and save for a wrx or sti. Believe me, you will have plenty of building opportunities with it.

Last edited by hedgecutter; 18 July 2018 at 08:35 AM.
Old 19 July 2018, 12:04 AM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
If starting from the bottom, that's tyres, brakes and suspension ; money better spent than throwing it away on a gx engine, which is well known to be a bad choice for extra hp. But I suspect you are already not listening to the advice given above, because it's not what you want to hear; You could buy a clean wrx for the cost of what you are proposing. Update the handling, tidy it up, and save for a wrx or sti. Believe me, you will have plenty of building opportunities with it.
Thank you that is what i'm looking for right now, i just wanted to know if i can gain some hp not much , 20-30 something like that. Now my eyes are on handling. And it's something big for me those words what u said, i mean it is something what i wanted to hear from somebody what know's about subaru's about wrx or sti and opportunities to make this subaru what i want
Old 19 July 2018, 12:17 AM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

I understand that wrx and sti are actually VERY expensive in Spain, but you would have to buy and swap out most of the suspension, all brakes, engine, wiring loom, dash, bonnet at minimum on a gx, to become close to a wrx.
Old 19 July 2018, 05:11 PM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by hedgecutter
I understand that wrx and sti are actually VERY expensive in Spain, but you would have to buy and swap out most of the suspension, all brakes, engine, wiring loom, dash, bonnet at minimum on a gx, to become close to a wrx.
hold my beer xd. They are very expensive here yes, but built is different, not for the car, for the person what do this so yeah,i will need to change almost everything but, i will do thanks for the tips
Old 19 July 2018, 07:39 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

As a N/A Impreza owner for a little over 20 years please take this advice.

It's not worth spending lots of money on the engine. Put Subaru 4 pots calipers on the front and Subaru 2 pots on the back (you will need bigger wheels, 294mm disks and 290mm disks for the rear) decent fast road pads and braided brake lines and it will stop quite well. Then replace the shocks all round and put eibach springs on. Update the suspension bushes with polyurethane bushes. It will then handle quite well. If you can afford it a wrx rear differential will improve it no end.

Then exhaust - a 2.5 inch centre section from a wrx will bolt straight on the the second cat (you'll probably need a ring gasket too) and then any 2.5 inch rear box will fit (Prodrive, Ninja 2, etc).

Put an upgraded air filter in the air box - stay away from the induction kits - crap on a non-turbo (personally I think they are crap for sub 400 bhp cars anyway). I've got a K&N filter in my hawkeye R Sport.

And then most importantly ENJOY THE CAR FOR WHAT IT IS - any true non-turbo cars will never beat the turbocharged versions but with those mods you can at least keep up.

Last edited by dark_angel; 19 July 2018 at 07:49 PM.
Old 19 July 2018, 07:43 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

And don't forget to keep up the service intervals - decent oil is a must.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to comment - good and bad.

Andrew.
Old 23 July 2018, 04:31 AM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dark_angel
As a N/A Impreza owner for a little over 20 years please take this advice.

It's not worth spending lots of money on the engine. Put Subaru 4 pots calipers on the front and Subaru 2 pots on the back (you will need bigger wheels, 294mm disks and 290mm disks for the rear) decent fast road pads and braided brake lines and it will stop quite well. Then replace the shocks all round and put eibach springs on. Update the suspension bushes with polyurethane bushes. It will then handle quite well. If you can afford it a wrx rear differential will improve it no end.

Then exhaust - a 2.5 inch centre section from a wrx will bolt straight on the the second cat (you'll probably need a ring gasket too) and then any 2.5 inch rear box will fit (Prodrive, Ninja 2, etc).

Put an upgraded air filter in the air box - stay away from the induction kits - crap on a non-turbo (personally I think they are crap for sub 400 bhp cars anyway). I've got a K&N filter in my hawkeye R Sport.

And then most importantly ENJOY THE CAR FOR WHAT IT IS - any true non-turbo cars will never beat the turbocharged versions but with those mods you can at least keep up.
Thank you very much for tips. I really apprecciate it. Sorry for my bad english. A question, i think i know it already but, well. I need to ask,what oil do i need to put in the engine? because somebody said i can put oil which WRX use but, i don't think that is recommended for this N/A Engine. And i bought the car with an induction kit https://www.knfilters.com/search/pro...x?prod=57-0646 this actually. I have a muffler which cost like 400+ dolars, i bought the car how it is. I have the panel filter original too , all of the kit original from the subaru, if you say it is better to put an filter which repleace the OEM one, i will do it. I was thinking to make it a monster N/A but i was thinking myself it is too much to spend and with half of money of that i can make it WRX....I don't know for sure, i really love the N/A engines. But they are kinda less on power i don't want much, just something like 220-230 hp at the crank, that's it. But i think that isn't possible with this engine. I don't know,i will think good in future,maybe i can do an swap put an 2.5 i don't know. For now,i need handling, brakes, since i do touge sometimes cuz...Initial D duh...I need better handling, first i want to buy tyres cuz i have some bridgestone and they are **** as possible u can say that word. For real. After that i need some suspension kit , idk what will be best maybe Eibach what u said. Some good line aligment, brakes, differential, and that's it. I can puck uf any beast car on mountain's but not at straight, even if i don't like the straight line's. I will need something here too, because,city and things like that. I'm not such a retarded kid,i just want to enjoy myself with my Impreza. Don't want to put money in it to repair it, if i want to put money. I want to put money in it to be better,not repaired. So, no mechanic shop any sooner.
Old 23 July 2018, 10:14 PM
Croney
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Beg, borrow but dont steal a drive of a turbo then decide if you want to spend or save. Gx will never be as fast but can handle well. I would enjoy the Gx for what it is now. Your introductio. look after it, make cosmeticly what you like, body back box ect. learn from the forums and dont waste cash unless you are not happy to never see again as yoh may not recoup on sale
Old 24 July 2018, 03:43 AM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Croney
Beg, borrow but dont steal a drive of a turbo then decide if you want to spend or save. Gx will never be as fast but can handle well. I would enjoy the Gx for what it is now. Your introductio. look after it, make cosmeticly what you like, body back box ect. learn from the forums and dont waste cash unless you are not happy to never see again as yoh may not recoup on sale

Thank you. And yes,i will enjoty the Gx how it is for now, in time like everyone else,i will want more,but not that much, something around 170 - 220 hp at the crank,that's it. But i don't know if it's possible that with this boxer n/a engine maybe with a honda engine lol jk xd

p,s : so which oil is it good for this engine ? i mean i want a oil what can handle high rpm's and low rpm's like traffic in the city, doing kilometers, from city to city etc normal driving,and on the other hand if i push the car a little,i want the engine to be good oiled or lubrification's i don't know the right word for it. But i hope i'm understanding for you guys. I just want to know which oil are best for this engine

Last edited by Nileda; 24 July 2018 at 03:47 AM.
Old 25 July 2018, 08:37 PM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

I use Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5w 30 see below. I have a 2006 2.0 R Sport (158 bhp).

https://lubes.mobil.com/uk-english-l...a-fe-5w30.aspx

Andrew.
Old 26 July 2018, 05:08 AM
Nileda
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by dark_angel
I use Mobil Super 3000 X1 Formula FE 5w 30 see below. I have a 2006 2.0 R Sport (158 bhp).

https://lubes.mobil.com/uk-english-l...a-fe-5w30.aspx

Andrew.
thank you very much, i was asking myself if castrol are good or Motul ? i mean maybe i will use this mobil super, but i want to know if this is better than a castrol or motul,or both
Old 26 July 2018, 07:10 AM
dark_angel
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nileda
thank you very much, i was asking myself if castrol are good or Motul ? i mean maybe i will use this mobil super, but i want to know if this is better than a castrol or motul,or both
Sorry can't help you there as I don't have the technical knowledge.

Good luck.

Andrew.