Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ESL - Rework 99 RON map for 95 RON fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 05 February 2018, 12:23 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ESL - Rework 99 RON map for 95 RON fuel.

OK, so I've got several reasons for considering this... I moved house just over a year ago and am now finding I have to drive out of my way to get 99 RON petrol. I've got a 2-week family trip to France planned later on this year (half-way down the west coast) and finding special fuel is a hassle I don't want! I'm also on a bit of an 'economy drive' at the moment, trying to save money since we had our first child last year (and more importantly, trying to convince my other half that we should keep the Scoob, rather than change it for some dull and boring 'economical car' #manmaths).

At the moment I'm mapped for 99 RON petrol (Momentum/VPower) on a fairly 'safe' map around 250bhp and don't intend to mess with my current map. What I'm thinking of doing is to copy it to the 2nd map on my ESL and then reduce some of the parameters to make it suitable for 95 RON petrol.

I'm currently boosting to 1.3 bar. I presume this is the first thing I'll need to lower, and am aware that max wastegate duty is probably the table that'll need the most tweaking. What's a safe limit for 95 RON - 1 bar, 1.1 bar?

I guess I'll need to reduce my timing advances a bit too. Would it be sensible to use the timing tables from an 8S base map (which would have originally been intended for 95 RON) or just rework my current one? I seem to remember that it's not vastly different from the base map anyway.

I was intending to leave the fueling table alone, as presumably that shouldn't really need to change?

Anything I haven't considered? (other than my car will obviously be slower!)

TLDR: Current map is 99 RON on ESL. Want to adapt 2nd map to work with 95 RON.
Old 07 February 2018, 08:55 AM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Id say to create an economical map

Reduce min and max to 0 just run on wastegate
Fuelling will need to be altered as why have it rich when on no boost or much lower boost than before
Timing can be reduced more as again noboost or not as much boost

To be fair, you wont notice much difference maybe a couple of mpg`s saved

your current map is set to 1.3 bar with fuelling enriched etc etc yet if you dont use the loud pedal you wont use 1.3 bar and will always be in closed loop anyway when cruising so fuelling will be controlled by the 02

Last edited by The Rig; 07 February 2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 07 February 2018, 09:37 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

if you want more economy, the main trick is don't push the pedal on the right so hard

In the cruise region of the map (you can find this by logging) you then want to increase the timing there whilst listening to the det cans. At light loads you can push quite a bit of timing and that will equate to more MPG on a run.

If your wanting to adjust the map for 95, you can reduce the boost level, but also tweaks to the timing map and AFR/fuel table will be required as well. Or keep the boost the same as best you can and reduce timing/enrich mixture to keep the det monsters at bay. Of course if your injectors are close to max now then you'll definitely have to reduce the boost target to prevent them from going static.

Another option is to drop the IAM from it's current value (most likely 16) down to say 8 and then let the ECU re-learn on 95. Whatever value your IAM learns too will give you an idea on how much timing needs to be pulled from the base table to obtain knock free runs but again you'll have to be listening with the knock cans on to make sure you don't go too far with it.
Old 07 February 2018, 11:13 AM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys - that all sounds sensible.

It's not an 'economy' map I'm after, as such, although better economy's always a bonus. I know the boxer engine is never going to be that economical and I generally average around 28mpg anyway, which I reckon is pretty reasonable.

My main priority was being able to safely run 95 RON without having to rely on the engine's knock detection to protect me. I'm particularly aware when I take it to France in the summer, it'll be hot (hopefully), and the car will be fully loaded, weight-wise too - both of which won't help when it comes to knock.

The potential saving of 5p per litre (Ł3 per tank) was just an added bonus (and a way to help persuade the wife we should keep it!).
Old 07 February 2018, 01:45 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

don't forget to factor in that with the lower octane fuel you'll not get the same MPG from it so although it's cheaper to fill you'll not get the same range from the car.
Old 07 February 2018, 01:46 PM
hedgecutter
Scooby Regular

Received 640 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by ben.harris
Cheers guys - that all sounds sensible.

It's not an 'economy' map I'm after, as such, although better economy's always a bonus. I know the boxer engine is never going to be that economical and I generally average around 28mpg anyway, which I reckon is pretty reasonable.

My main priority was being able to safely run 95 RON without having to rely on the engine's knock detection to protect me. I'm particularly aware when I take it to France in the summer, it'll be hot (hopefully), and the car will be fully loaded, weight-wise too - both of which won't help when it comes to knock.

The potential saving of 5p per litre (Ł3 per tank) was just an added bonus (and a way to help persuade the wife we should keep it!).
Subscribed! I need a map for travelling in France and Italy.
Old 07 February 2018, 01:58 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

other than the map for abroad, if your worried about using 99 then you need to buy a different car. I know it sounds harsh, but you wouldn't give a race horse cheap corn.
Old 07 February 2018, 02:23 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

Received 231 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidgy
other than the map for abroad, if your worried about using 99 then you need to buy a different car. I know it sounds harsh, but you wouldn't give a race horse cheap corn.
what a load of shíte.
Old 07 February 2018, 03:07 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

No 99 here in Ireland just 95
Old 07 February 2018, 03:45 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

Add some Ethanol

That always works well
Old 07 February 2018, 05:01 PM
RAGGY DOO
Scooby Regular

Received 108 Likes on 72 Posts

3mil of nf black per liter
Think I will add some ethanol once I’m back up and running
I’m not into multiple maps one map off you go lol
Old 07 February 2018, 06:00 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

I disagree. My car's a UK car and it was originally intended to run on 95. Prior to my ownership, my uncle ran it on 95 for 15 years! I use it every day as my daily runabout. If it was a pampered, garaged, weekend-only fun car then I can understand why you'd want to run it only on thoroughbred fuel. Mine isn't though - it's very much our family runabout. It may be filthy, having not been washed for about 6 months, but mechanically it's very well looked after and maintained. For everyday driving and sitting it traffic, 95 will be perfectly fine for it, if mapped appropriately.
Old 07 February 2018, 06:07 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I disagree. My car's a UK car and it was originally intended to run on 95. Prior to my ownership, my uncle ran it on 95 for 15 years! I use it every day as my daily runabout. If it was a pampered, garaged, weekend-only fun car then I can understand why you'd want to run it only on thoroughbred fuel. Mine isn't though - it's very much our family runabout. It may be filthy, having not been washed for about 6 months, but mechanically it's very well looked after and maintained. For everyday driving and sitting it traffic, 95 will be perfectly fine for it, if mapped appropriately.
take or leave the advice its your choice. My dad though the same, engine rebuild later he changed his mind.
Old 07 February 2018, 06:18 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

take or leave the advice its your choice. My dad though the same, engine rebuild later he changed his mind.
Without wanting to sound argumentative, you're missing the point. If the map is adjusted appropriately, any RON of fuel could be used. I'm not just going to run my current map intended for 99 on 95. That's the whole reason I created this post.
Old 07 February 2018, 08:19 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Dads car obv wasnt mapped for 95 by a tuner was it ?
Old 07 February 2018, 08:25 PM
madwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i ran around on twin 95-99 maps for years in my classic on a simtek -the 95 map had lower and flatter torque but really helped if i was in some parts of the west country and did,nt have to go 15 miles out of the way to find 99 fuel-
Old 08 February 2018, 09:12 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Without wanting to sound argumentative, you're missing the point. If the map is adjusted appropriately, any RON of fuel could be used. I'm not just going to run my current map intended for 99 on 95. That's the whole reason I created this post.
you have to consider whats in the fuel as well. ask yourself why its cheaper?
Old 08 February 2018, 09:15 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
Dads car obv wasnt mapped for 95 by a tuner was it ?
was mapped by pat h so you can decided if it was mapped properly

Now you could ask is it the sole reason for the failure? and that i would say prob not and no way to prove either way, however when the engine was stripped it was found to be in pretty poor condition and heavy deposits which would have come from the fuel.
Old 08 February 2018, 10:11 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

was mapped by pat h so you can decided if it was mapped properly

Now you could ask is it the sole reason for the failure? and that i would say prob not and no way to prove either way, however when the engine was stripped it was found to be in pretty poor condition and heavy deposits which would have come from the fuel.

If mapped properly then and running a fuel filter then cants see why it would have any reason to do with the failure so no i wouldnt ask if it had anything to do with the failure.

If your fuels got twigs and dirt in it then id imagine your gona have problems eventually tho but thats common sense.

Mapped properly no car will ever die from using the 95 fuel it was setup on just makes zero sense to say it would.

You could say it being cheaper could lead to quality issues. But these cases are just as common as the v-power being filled with 95. Very rare and not worth basing an argument on.

Can always use a filter funnel to sive all the bits out that African 95 with bitz haha
Old 08 February 2018, 10:14 AM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Pretty sure Tesco 99 is their 95 will some extra Ethanol.....

V-Power " supposedly" isn't

So reason its cheaper is its Ethanol content and cost of the additives use to bump up the Ron.
Old 08 February 2018, 10:39 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

If mapped properly, wouldnt the ECU compensate for any poor fuel ?
Old 08 February 2018, 01:19 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
If mapped properly, wouldnt the ECU compensate for any poor fuel ?
cant compensate for crap in the fuel
Old 08 February 2018, 01:30 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

so now its to do with quality of the fuel and that's the sole reason its cheaper? and saying ALL 95RON is crap because your dads mapped for 95 blew up. honestly you talk some amount of shíte as previously stated.
Old 08 February 2018, 01:33 PM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

isnt that what the fuel filter is for ?
Old 08 February 2018, 01:34 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

There is a filter on sock at pump in tank and one in the bay as well tho
Old 08 February 2018, 01:34 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gambit
so now its to do with quality of the fuel and that's the sole reason its cheaper? and saying ALL 95RON is crap because your dads mapped for 95 blew up. honestly you talk some amount of shíte as previously stated.
go look how fuel is produced and understand why it's cheaper then come back.

The less refining the cheaper it is and the more contaminants are in it.

perhaps if you thought about what i wrote instead of being too thick to understand the process you wouldn't be such a dumbass.
Old 08 February 2018, 01:39 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

perhaps if you thought about what i wrote instead of being too thick to understand the process you wouldn't be such a dumbass.
All made and sold to a British standard which i do not think allows any twigs or dirt,

The expensive stuff is the same cheap 95 only with additives ( hence cost increase)

Or do you think they run it all though special v-power or tesco 99 grade filters ??
Old 08 February 2018, 01:45 PM
SmurfyBhoy
Scooby Regular

Old 08 February 2018, 01:46 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SmurfyBhoy
All made and sold to a British standard which i do not think allows any twigs or dirt,

The expensive stuff is the same cheap 95 only with additives ( hence cost increase)

Or do you think they run it all though special v-power or tesco 99 grade filters ??
Where not talking dirt and twiggs here, your talking minute particles, the addatives affect how they burn, how the waste gases react and so on, where do you think the carbon build up comes from?

Then theres other things like water content, how its stored etc etc

People assume its simple mater of heating oil to a certain temp and you get your fuel. It's actually alot more complex than that by the time it hits the pumps.
Old 08 February 2018, 01:46 PM
Gambit
Scooby Regular

less refining lol i suspect you need to go look more into it - no doubt you'll report back with some sort of stuff you've pulled of the internet just to try to prove to all you know what you are talking about lol when infact everybody knows your just talking shíte as usual

Quick Reply: ESL - Rework 99 RON map for 95 RON fuel.