Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

2017 STI REMAP QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2017, 07:56 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 STI REMAP QUESTIONS

Morning,

I know this has been covered alot on the ej257 engines and im aware of issues with ringlands/ tight bore clearances/ head gaskets etc but how many have had their 2015 cars on mapped? i have seen one thread with a guy who had his mapped at scooby clinic to 328bhp but thats it for the newer cars.

The car would be mapped by andy carr if i went through with it and only ever runs on v power and would be used for 3 track days a year and serviced after each one. I also believe if you keep it below 1.35 bar that gives it a lot better chance? I also assume the head gasket issue will have been fixed by now although the rest has not except for a better factory map?

thanks guys

Last edited by cam87; 20 December 2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 20 December 2017, 08:10 AM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember seeing a 2012 saloon at around 370 on the standard engine. Somewhere on here I think
Old 20 December 2017, 09:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by cam87
Morning,

I know this has been covered alot on the ej257 engines and im aware of issues with ringlands/ tight bore clearances/ head gaskets etc but how many have had their 2015 cars on mapped? i have seen one thread with a guy who had his mapped at scooby clinic to 328bhp but thats it for the newer cars.

The car would be mapped by andy carr if i went through with it and only ever runs on v power and would be used for 3 track days a year and serviced after each one. I also believe if you keep it below 1.35 bar that gives it a lot better chance? I also assume the head gasket issue will have been fixed by now although the rest has not except for a better factory map?

thanks guys
have you looked on clinics website?

http://www.scoobyclinic.com/performancetuning.htm
Old 20 December 2017, 09:46 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the replies guys,

I have looked on their site yes but i am looking for a remap only really and would use andy carr for the remap as he has done my previous STI's without issue. My question i suppose at the end of it is are the new cars a little bit more reliable than the older cars head gasket wise and how safe will i be with just a remap?
I will of course be under no illusion that the engine can let go at some point but with the car being new i would like to get at least 30 thousand miles out of it before there was an issue really.

thank you
Old 20 December 2017, 10:29 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Engine is no different, as long as its mapped properly will prob be safer than the normal map being more tailored to the exact car. That assumes the mapper does their job properly of course.
Old 20 December 2017, 12:49 PM
Jon T
Scooby Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

It depends what you want it mapped to i suppose. 328 isn't that much more than a 2.5 with ppp so cant see it being that much of an issue
Old 20 December 2017, 12:52 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Mine went from 278bhp to 320ish with just a map - 2016 STi.
Old 21 December 2017, 07:26 AM
CharlySkunkWeed
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

If it was me , I wouldn't bother. When It blows up you'll just blame yourself for getting a wee bit too much out of it.
Drive it as it is , When it blows then worry about upgrades. Or get the pistons sorted before it blows is another option.
Old 21 December 2017, 10:38 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

sorry for the late reply, well my plan is to pretty much keep it standard but i want to make it up to around the same power as to what the PPP was. I understand these engines arent like the ej207 and do plan for a rebuild at some point. Also i understand that you stand a better chance when mapped than with the factory one providing its done properly.

thanks for the replies
Old 21 December 2017, 10:39 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo69
Mine went from 278bhp to 320ish with just a map - 2016 STi.

was this via ecutek etc or a known mapper?

thanks
Old 22 December 2017, 09:44 AM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

ECUTEK RaceROM done by RaceDynamix on Roger Clark Motorsport's dyno.

Launch control, flat foot shift, auto downshift blips, switchable maps etc.

I know it's going to blow up at some point, but it was just too slow as standard
Old 22 December 2017, 10:03 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

I know it's going to blow up at some point, but it was just too slow as standard
o dear, blow up sooner rather than later. The blokes enepet.

If its anything like the last one i saw that he did he'll have removed all the safteys.
Old 22 December 2017, 10:44 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

thanks for the reply, night and day difference then i take it even on the standard car? were they extra cost options? what do you think of the down****ft blips?

it easy slow standard thats why i want it done really, all my previous subarus were mapped but they were 2 litre ones. im looking forward to the extra torque!
Old 26 December 2017, 01:34 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Tidgy
o dear, blow up sooner rather than later. The blokes enepet.

If its anything like the last one i saw that he did he'll have removed all the safteys.
Oh Tidgy, put it to bed already will you. Gets a bit boring you harking on about Duncan/Racedynamix on here.

I've not once had an issue with any of Duncan's work and have recommended him to many friends who likewise have had no issues.

I have an STi with an EJ25 that is modified, I expect it to go boom sooner rather than later anyway! But when it's rebuilt, it'll go straight back to Duncan for mapping.

Originally Posted by cam87
thanks for the reply, night and day difference then i take it even on the standard car? were they extra cost options? what do you think of the down****ft blips?

it easy slow standard thats why i want it done really, all my previous subarus were mapped but they were 2 litre ones. im looking forward to the extra torque!
Given that the car as standard doesn't make its power, yes. Big difference, feels how it should have. Exhaust noise is always something which I believe is a big factor in the Subaru experience, and so once that was sorted, that too made a huge difference in the enjoyment of the car!

You can go for ECUtek mapping with or without the RaceROM features, the extra features do cost a bit more though yes. The downshift blips are cool but ultimately I never use them as I like to heel and toe for myself. I just have them (along with flat foot shift) on the S# mode. S mode just has launch control, as does I mode. I mode having less boost and ignition timing though.
Old 26 December 2017, 09:26 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Oh Tidgy, put it to bed already will you. Gets a bit boring you harking on about Duncan/Racedynamix on here.

I've not once had an issue with any of Duncan's work and have recommended him to many friends who likewise have had no issues.

I have an STi with an EJ25 that is modified, I expect it to go boom sooner rather than later anyway! But when it's rebuilt, it'll go straight back to Duncan for mapping.

Given that the car as standard doesn't make its power, yes. Big difference, feels how it should have. Exhaust noise is always something which I believe is a big factor in the Subaru experience, and so once that was sorted, that too made a huge difference in the enjoyment of the car!

You can go for ECUtek mapping with or without the RaceROM features, the extra features do cost a bit more though yes. The downshift blips are cool but ultimately I never use them as I like to heel and toe for myself. I just have them (along with flat foot shift) on the S# mode. S mode just has launch control, as does I mode. I mode having less boost and ignition timing though.
there a hell of alot more than me than say it, so you wanna risk it its your choice.
Old 27 December 2017, 08:05 AM
ZANY
Scooby Regular

Received 131 Likes on 101 Posts

Member in the club (LADS) has a red one he had modified and mapped About a year ago all work was undertaken by Brian at cams performance

In wing 8nduction,Exhaust, panel filter and I think he uprated the fuel pump at same time then mapped by Ade tuning who I rate very highly in ALL departments advice and service AND reachability

Car runs a dream some nice pops bangs flames on the motorway been a year no problems at all and he’s very pleased with the result
Old 28 December 2017, 03:10 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for replying.

W
ell it will be mapped standard and will be done with ecutek. I cant justify spending on an air filter and exhaust for the gains you get on top of the remap/licence. Been down that road with previous scoobies and think its best to keep the money back for a rebuild and quite like the fact its quiet.

I'll report back with the beofre and after results in a few weeks when its done

Cheers

Last edited by cam87; 28 December 2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 22 January 2018, 10:06 PM
Apostle
Scooby Regular

Default Wise

1.35 bar and keeping away from bouncing off the Rev limiter is wisdom for sure.
The engines have not really changed in 11/12 yrs - same old issues BUT a good map will keep them at bay.

NB. A Grimmspeed boost solenoid is cheap and helps the tardy throttle response ✅
Old 23 January 2018, 02:05 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Apostle
1.35 bar and keeping away from bouncing off the Rev limiter is wisdom for sure.
The engines have not really changed in 11/12 yrs - same old issues BUT a good map will keep them at bay.

NB. A Grimmspeed boost solenoid is cheap and helps the tardy throttle response ✅

thanks for the reply, i notice you have the same model as me and wanted to know if you could answer a question for me please. the boost gauge on the center display shows the stock boost level. Does this change when mapped? i dont know if it makes a difference but the map will be a ecutek one.

thanks
Old 23 January 2018, 02:13 PM
ScoobyDoo69
Scooby Senior

Yes it does, the gauge shows the actual boost.

My boost is same as stock in I-mode and then 1.3ish for S-modes. All shown on the boost gauge as you'd expect.
Old 24 January 2018, 04:41 PM
cam87
Scooby Regular

Yes it does, the gauge shows the actual boost.

My boost is same as stock in I-mode and then 1.3ish for S-modes. All shown on the boost gauge as you'd expect.

perfect thank you for that
Old 02 February 2018, 07:34 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

just an update on this, the car has now had a ecutek remap and is running 340/370 with just a scorpion exhaust with the cat still in place.
Old 02 February 2018, 08:43 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

who did you get to map it in the end?
Old 02 February 2018, 08:55 AM
cam87
Scooby Regular

I drove to andy forrest