Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

A little advice on ecutek ecu

Search this Thread

Old 16 November 2017, 05:10 PM
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little advice on ecutek ecu

Ive purchased an MY00 Wagon 2 weeks ago, in the folder that came with it, there is receipt from ecutek in 2002 for Tek1 drive ability ECU upgrade @ £150 and returnable exchange surcharge @ £300 (see pic), so ive looked around and cant quite figure what this en tales, ive found a few bits, would this have meant any BHP increase, or would it have just been adjusting a few things on the factory map.

Secondly would it of meant the original owner, would have remove the factory ecu them selves sent it to ecutek, where they would of put this generic tek1 map onto the ecu, then sent it back to the customer to refit it back into the vehicle,, and if that being the case, can my ecu be remapped with a new map, not involving any part of the ecutek tek1 map.

Also the car seems to be going through fuel rather quicker than i expected, and im not giving it beans everywhere, how ever there are receipts for a magnex exhaust, however this has got a prodrive exhaust that seems to have the cats missing and some one has welded a section in their place, it would appear they just got a 9" grinder out and shopped away, there is also a version 8 sti TMIC, and a piper cross foam filter in a standard air box with the MAF in place, if these have been done after the original Tek1 ecu, would this have an adverse effect on the car ie.. bad fuel economy, or another thing, i get a little bit of hesitation and stuttering as the boost comes in, which if memory serves is around the 2500rpm mark, so im guessing with these extras the car would idealy need a remap now anyway?

any help would be most appreciated, the car has had a bit of a rough time, in previous years, but im here to look after her and get it back in to ship shape condition

Last edited by MoggyNinja; 16 November 2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Forgot to add pic
Old 16 November 2017, 07:28 PM
Don Clark
Scooby Regular

Received 746 Likes on 619 Posts

https://www.scoobynet.com/scotland-2...questions.html
Old 16 November 2017, 07:40 PM
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie

ive come across this thread before, it answered a few of my question, but i cant get clarification on few other bits, i was considering ringing ecutek, but with this receipt being so old, i wasn't sure i would get very far.
Old 17 November 2017, 10:15 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

tek1 should be standard boost but held for a little longer. The original map on the 802 ECU was revised by them to reduce the hesitation and high RPM overfuelling. It wouldn't really be suited to the decat downpipe but should run pretty similar to a standard car wtih cats taken out.

Assuming it's been just sent to ecutek for flash and return (or in this case, ECUtek sent him an ECU i think and he returned his old one to get the surcharge back). It should be fully licensed for use by any ECUTek mapper to stick their own map on. This should help with the little stumble as you come on boost (assuming that it's happening because of a little overboost due to the decat).

If the fuel economy is poor it could well be a faulty o2 sensor or MAF (assuming it's not just a air/exhaust leak or bad plugs). If you have access to diagnostic kit you can get it checked out and make sure both o2 and MAF are working as they should.
Old 17 November 2017, 10:39 AM
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie

I've found another letter since and that has wording to the affect of, "before you install this tek2 ecu please be aware", now it maybe that ecutek may have just put the wrong paper work in with the ecu, when they sent out the new one, and it is definitely a tek1, either way I think my first port of call needs to be as you've said to see if these sensors are working properly, are these Bluetooth plug in obd devices you see on eBay any good, or even work, I would like to buy my own gear to monitor the car, but I can't warrant £200+ plus for the ecutek suite
Thanks

Last edited by MoggyNinja; 17 November 2017 at 01:58 PM.
Old 17 November 2017, 02:03 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

the bluetooth OBD scanners likely won't work all that well on your car so find a local garage that has the kit and a smoke/pressure testing machine. That way you can check for leaks in the intake/exhaust system and get the sensors checked out as well to make sure they are working OK.
Old 17 November 2017, 03:24 PM
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by bludgod
the bluetooth OBD scanners likely won't work all that well on your car so find a local garage that has the kit and a smoke/pressure testing machine. That way you can check for leaks in the intake/exhaust system and get the sensors checked out as well to make sure they are working OK.
Ive just been talking with my brother in law, who has a blob eye, the place he goes with his, do a dyno diagnostic, and testing, so im going to get booked in there, then i will know what the car is doing, and what direction to go in, it may need a few parts changing out, MAF and so on as you have suggested, and i know im not on the verge of a an engine going bang to

Cheers
Old 17 November 2017, 05:21 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ecutek are helpful. They are still owned by 2 out of the 3 people that were around in 2002. The mods you mentioned should be fine, I'd get all the maintenance stuff done first and then if it still drives funny get it remapped again. Ecutek block reading of a map, but one tuner could usually see when it was last tuned and who by if I recall, but it is about 13 years since I tuned one.
Old 17 November 2017, 06:26 PM
MoggyNinja
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by john banks
Ecutek are helpful. They are still owned by 2 out of the 3 people that were around in 2002. The mods you mentioned should be fine, I'd get all the maintenance stuff done first and then if it still drives funny get it remapped again. Ecutek block reading of a map, but one tuner could usually see when it was last tuned and who by if I recall, but it is about 13 years since I tuned one.
I was thinking of giving them a ring, but with the invoice being old, i wasn't sure what they would tell me, as you've suggested im going to get all the maintenance side of things done then go from there, my main concern was having owned the car for less than 2 weeks, im just making sure it doesn't go bang hehe, once i get some diagnostics on it, i will have a good in sight.
cheers