Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Alcatek ALS help needed please?

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2017, 04:45 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alcatek ALS help needed please?

Iv just fitted an Alcatek ecu to my 2004 impreza wrx, i have also fitted the required parts that its mapped to.

It has ALS and LC enabled.

When i first started the car it was a bit lumpy so let it run for 5-10 mins, i then gave a small rev and now its running at 1500rpm and lumpy and when i rev it, it pops and bangs out the exhaust, so presume this is the ALS enabled?

So my reason for this topic is to find out how to wire in a switch so can turn this off.

Bob Rawle will be mapping once booked in but need to be able to drive the car to him.

thanks in advance
Old 02 November 2017, 01:09 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

firstly you probably shouldn't have fitted an ECU to your car unless you took every part from the car it was mapped for and even then it would still need checking over to be safe.

That being said, have you tried contacting mr Bob about it? He may know which pin on the ECU is tagged to the ALS switch so you know which wire to fiddle at.

If it was my car I'd have kept it as close to stock as possible and fit all the parts on mapping day if you can and then fit/map the ECU to suit.
Old 02 November 2017, 08:03 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bludgod
firstly you probably shouldn't have fitted an ECU to your car unless you took every part from the car it was mapped for and even then it would still need checking over to be safe.

That being said, have you tried contacting mr Bob about it? He may know which pin on the ECU is tagged to the ALS switch so you know which wire to fiddle at.

If it was my car I'd have kept it as close to stock as possible and fit all the parts on mapping day if you can and then fit/map the ECU to suit.
Thanks for your useless input - yes fitted all parts its mapped to so will be fine to drive to Bob as i wont be ragging it.

Yes have contacted Bob, but seeing if someone on here knows as thats what forums are for!!

Its not your car and i live over 100 miles from Bob so fitting on the day is impossible.
Old 02 November 2017, 09:17 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by rsjohn
Thanks for your useless input - yes fitted all parts its mapped to so will be fine to drive to Bob as i wont be ragging it.

Yes have contacted Bob, but seeing if someone on here knows as thats what forums are for!!

Its not your car and i live over 100 miles from Bob so fitting on the day is impossible.

Wow! Bludgod gives you some sound advice and you call it 'useless'
With any luck your engine won't blow......GL
Old 02 November 2017, 11:21 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

How does it run on the standard ecu with the parts you have just fitted?
The better option may be to drive it gently to Bob on the standard ecu, then swop to the Alcatek when you get there. Depending on what parts you've fitted you might find the standard ecu will compensate them better than the Alcatek.

Considering the infinitely variablei parameters on the Alcatek, you would of been very lucky if it had ran sweetly just by matching the engine spec it was previously mapped to.
There maybe things on the previous owners engine that they didn't know about or even remember to inform you of (unless it was yours from your previous car) but even then the mapper would of set it up to how that particular engine responded to changes in boost/timing/afr's/inlet temps etc.
Another thing to consider is the possibility that one of parts you have fitted could be causing the issue.
List the spec, it may possibly give some insight to one of the more common problematic areas. I.e vta bov, maf scaling issues etc.
Old 02 November 2017, 11:36 PM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

sorry to have offended you - you clearly know 100% what your at. Probably silly to even suggest you ask the person you bought the ECU off what pin was assigned to the ALS input on the ECU
Old 03 November 2017, 12:03 AM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

Well that was a slightly harsh response to you "bludgod" for nothing more than offering some sound advice ???
And it sounds like the car is not "fine to drive" nence why the op is asking for advise, so I'm not sure of his reasoning behind the oppressive reply.
Anyway, lets remember his "presumption" is that the als is activated ..... it may not be. It could be something Completely unrelated to als.
Spec list of recently fitted parts may enlighten the matter.
Old 03 November 2017, 08:22 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bludgod gave u some very sound advice, Ive driven to my mapper after fitting various parts but i would NEVER drive a car with with an aftermarket ecu that was mapped to a different engine. You will have no idea what your fueling is doing.

Ive never heard of als been permanently activated in the ecu on a road car, you fit a switch which just sends an earth signal to a set pin in the ecu although this can be reversed in the ecu setup so it needs an earth to turn it off.

What parts have u fitted along with the ecu ??

Last edited by Dubzy; 03 November 2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 03 November 2017, 04:02 PM
Dan1
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what my type-R sounded like with an ALS enabled AlcaTek ECU:

That should give you some idea. Idle RPM definitely jumps up, close to 1500ish when enabling ALS, so it might really be just your ALS being permanently on at the moment.

Last edited by Dan1; 03 November 2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 03 November 2017, 05:24 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dan1
This is what my type-R sounded like with an ALS enabled AlcaTek ECU:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dTgZf7BjSI

That should give you some idea. Idle RPM definitely jumps up, close to 1500ish when enabling ALS, so it might really be just your ALS being permanently on at the moment.
It sounded exactly the same as that.

Spec for who wants to know.

pink injectors
VF35 turbo
fuel pump
3in exhaust
sti top mount

Driving on standard ecu will be worse as will over fuel.
Old 03 November 2017, 06:34 PM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

It sounded exactly the same as that.

Spec for who wants to know.

pink injectors
VF35 turbo
fuel pump
3in exhaust
sti top mount

Driving on standard ecu will be worse as will over fuel.
I wouldnt agree, youve only gone slightly larger on injector size so driven off boost on your original ecu would be the safest bet.

Did the alcatek and parts come from an sti model or another modded wrx ??
Old 03 November 2017, 07:44 PM
trevsjwood
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not uncommon to have mods done and then drive over for the mapping but to change the ecu, that must be a first mate.
Trev
Old 03 November 2017, 10:02 PM
Turbovin
Scooby Regular

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Fit a wideband oxygen sensor and see how lean or rich it runs.
Old 03 November 2017, 10:19 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

[QUOTE=Dubzy;11976241]I wouldnt agree, youve only gone slightly larger on injector size so driven off boost on your original ecu would be the safest bet.

+1 Dubzy. It's basically STI spec with a 3" exhaust. Driving off boost with the standard ecu you will be hard pushed to notice you had changed anything.
If the alternative is driving it with als activated for any number of miles it's a no brainier.
Old 04 November 2017, 03:32 PM
rsjohn
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dubzy
I wouldnt agree, youve only gone slightly larger on injector size so driven off boost on your original ecu would be the safest bet.

Did the alcatek and parts come from an sti model or another modded wrx ??
So your saying its better to drive the car 100 miles on a standard ecu thats not mapped at all to any of the mods than to an after market one that technically is????
Old 04 November 2017, 03:50 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Did the car it came off run maffless?
Old 04 November 2017, 04:10 PM
debbiesonic
Scooby Regular

The difference is you know what the standard ecu is configured for, i.e the standard engine. And if driven off boost will easily compensate for the mods you have fitted.
I can't stress enough that I'm talking about off boost running!

The Alcatek could have been set up for anything. I know you have been told what it was set up for, but that doesn't tell the whole story from when that particular ecu was mapped.
An absolute on point example would be the very issue you are having, were you told the als was permenantly activated?
I'm guessing not, so my issue would be what else were you not told.
Was it mapped for an engine with, for example ......
TGV's ?
AVCS?
2 port solenoid?
3 port solenoid?
Stock fpr.
Adjustable fpr?
Stock map sensor?
3 bar map sensor?

Do you see my point. I'm not even saying that the previous owner hasn't told you everything that was done to their engine, what if their had been things done to his engine that he didn't know about. Or what if the mapper had changed things that the owner wasn't aware of. Typically things like swooping the 2 port boost solenoid to a 3 port. Changing the location of the front 02 etc.
Old 05 November 2017, 01:48 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

So your saying its better to drive the car 100 miles on a standard ecu thats not mapped at all to any of the mods than to an after market one that technically is????
Yes.

Your standard ecu has the ability to make adjustments to your fueling to compensate for any difference's it sees, It can also still offer you some protection by going into limp mode etc. The alcatek wont do either.

Without fitting the ecu, the mods that you have done are some of the most common mods done and many have drove off boost and without issue to their chosen mapper.

Its not very common for people to fit an aftermarket ecu to a newage car running a vf35 as the factory ecu can be remapped to the setups full potential. Most upgrade the ecu as it has the ability to read higher boost levels, can run without the maf sensor and the ability to have different selectable fuel and boost maps.

you mentioned the ecu came with no external switches to select the als, lc and map selections. If there was more than one map on the alcatek and you have no switches then you wont even know if your on the correct map for your fuel type or setup.

Last edited by Dubzy; 05 November 2017 at 01:54 AM.