Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Would a mapper notice a tooth out?

Search this Thread

Old 16 September 2017, 07:09 PM
Leepers
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a mapper notice a tooth out?

Hi guys,

Just threw a cambelt on the car, and I have a strong suspicion the car was a tooth out on the left cam bank. When I lined everything up, it looked all good, but with wiggling about this was as close as I could get it on the left bank:

https://i.imgur.com/XiUDDOu.jpg

I didn't think much of it, I figured I'd get it back together and then see if it lands the same after I turn it over, so I did that, and it landed up perfectly after I fitted the belt. All the lines on the belt lined up with the marks, and the cams lined up straight.

Now my question is, would an experienced mapper notice this in the mapping process? I'd have thought a tooth out would mean it'd be low on power... It's mapped for 310 Hp. I've thought the idle was a bit wobbly for some time, and to me it feels better now. I now seem to have a bit of a hesitation as it comes onto boost, although the top end power still feels good.

Second question, is this unsafe to drive?

Last edited by Leepers; 16 September 2017 at 07:11 PM.