Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Esl reinjection

Search this Thread

Old 07 August 2017, 05:19 PM
Luigi Noschese
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Esl reinjection

Does the reinjection only work for 5th gear or is it supposed to work for all gears?
​​​​​
Old 07 August 2017, 08:00 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

All gears
Old 07 August 2017, 09:16 PM
Luigi Noschese
Scooby Regular

My car does that but not at the rpm set in the table. 1500 rpm is set in the table but the rpm it kicks in varies from time to time. Sometimes 2k sometimes 3k. In 5th gear it almost always drops to the value set in the table. The rest doesn't.
Old 07 August 2017, 10:00 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I had a very similar problem,a few things to consider.
NPS could be faulty but in ESL I don't believe you can see the value output,should be possible to test with multimeter.
TPS is it within perameter range,can be tested with a multimeter.
Sticking throttle cable or butterfly,this was my fault,I tested this by having the throttle position on live log so I could see the value on the laptop,pressed the accelerator pedal,let go,took note of the value then pressed the throttle pot cable guide to closed position to see if the value changed.
My fault happened in every gear tho,and a good spray on the cable and butterfly with release agent fixed it.
Apologies,not the best explanation but I've been out to a BBQ and had a few beers
Old 08 August 2017, 08:53 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

also you can try putting your foot under the pedal and pulling it up a bit. I've seen a few cars where the TPS and throttle cable needed a small adjustment - if you put your foot under the pedal to lift it up you'll be able to see if the TPS volts drop below the idle level.
Old 08 August 2017, 11:30 AM
Luigi Noschese
Scooby Regular

Gonna check the voltage today.
i tightened the throttle cable a little because it felt loose, maybe thats the problem.
Sometimes when coming off the gaspedal I get a pop in the intake. Maybe its gone when the reinjection problem.
Old 08 August 2017, 11:34 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Yes there should be a small amount of play in the cable,so not too tight.
Old 08 August 2017, 12:28 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you log the TPS sensor value, anything above about 8%, the car will interpret as a non-idle condition and I imagine that that the ECU will only do fuel re-injection when it thinks the engine should be trying to idle - i.e. when the TPS is below 8%.

Fuel re-injection is also coolant temperature related, so you might want to log that too, to check that it's reading correctly. If I remember correctly (may be mentioned in the manual) in order to log Coolant Temperature, you also need to be logging the look-up-table too (Coolant Temperature LUT).
Old 08 August 2017, 05:36 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

The tp has no affect on reinjection afaik,it goes on rpm and coolant temps,ESL seem to have a fair range difference from car to car,my old one was range between 10-80%
Current car 19% closed 91%WOT.
Of corse this can be changed by moving the TPS but jus as long as volts are good.
As long as the voltage range is within preameter then you are good.
I can't remember the voltage range perameters from memory(have them at home wrote down) will be easy to find on a search tho.
Old 09 August 2017, 08:59 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

should be 0.5v or less when closed on ECU connector B136/pin16 or you can probe it at the TPS itself or read it from the ESL software.
Old 09 August 2017, 09:52 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I wrote mine down as 4.8v WOT and 0.5v closed.
I didn't know you could log tps voltage on the software,I took readings from the throttle pot.

Edit: just remembered I also took the same reading from the ECU as I read it was more accurate,i did get the same readings from both.

Last edited by ossett2k2; 09 August 2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Got numbers wrong way around.
Old 09 August 2017, 07:40 PM
Luigi Noschese
Scooby Regular

I measured mine today.
I have a V1-2 gt so the voltages are different.
The manual states that closed throttle needs to be 4.7Volts i measured 4.78V.
Its a 4 pin pot wich means it has a idle switch build in.
Idle switch at closed trottle needs to be 5V
I changed the voltage to 4.7 but the idle switch measured 0V which is not good.
I think ik need to get a new throttle pot, at 4.7volts the throttle percentage in ESL software reads 9%.

Last edited by Luigi Noschese; 09 August 2017 at 07:51 PM.
Old 11 August 2017, 09:25 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

i wouldn't worry too much about WOT readings, most of your tables will stop at 60/70% throttle anyway, just make sure the idle reading is correct. ben is right as far as I know the ECU has to see the TPS in "idle" condition so it knows when to allow re-injection to start (based on the ECT lookup table as well).
Old 11 August 2017, 10:03 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

I thought since the reinjection table is 2D then it sees only the engine speed and coolant temp to decide when the injectors are switched on or off on the overrun,why would it need to see idle conditions?
If TPS was a factor on reinjection would it not be a 3D table and include TP?
Old 11 August 2017, 10:10 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

reinjection becomes active when the car is in idle mode as it's purpose is to stop the car stalling. You can't adjust that it's part of how the ECU is setup to run so there's no table for it. You can adjust when the reinjection starts based on the ECT table as that's something that needs to change based on the setup (injector size/engine mods, wanting mad overrun pops and bangs etc.).
Old 11 August 2017, 10:44 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Just trying to get my head round this,there is a separate table for idle which I presume only comes into play when the clutch is pressed,the reinjection will only work when the car is in gear and the clutch pedal is out so will it ever see idle mode?
Old 11 August 2017, 10:48 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

nowt to do with the clutch pedal mr, idle condition is basically on/off throttle and also is the RPM close enough to idle to start adjusting the IACV etc.
Old 11 August 2017, 10:51 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Ah get it now
Old 09 April 2019, 07:15 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well not many threads about this issuer so thought id reserect this one

I too now am suffering from No re-injection.

Nothing has changed in the ECU parameters regarding reinjection yet i dont get injector shut off anymore. Well thats not true, i do, but only when car is really warmed up and inconsistantly and still not within the parameters.

It will shut off injectors above 3k but then below 3k will be on n off, i can see my wideband reading 22.4 / 20/18/22.4/20 etc then as soon as 1500 rpm is reached normal afr is resumed ( stoich)

Really weird and annoying now.

i suspected the NPS, but tested it and in neutral i get open circuit (plunger all the way out ) and in gear i get resistance (plunger pushed in ) so switch is basically working

huff huff huff
Old 09 April 2019, 08:59 PM
ben.harris
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The Rig
Well not many threads about this issuer so thought id reserect this one

I too now am suffering from No re-injection.

Nothing has changed in the ECU parameters regarding reinjection yet i dont get injector shut off anymore. Well thats not true, i do, but only when car is really warmed up and inconsistantly and still not within the parameters.

It will shut off injectors above 3k but then below 3k will be on n off, i can see my wideband reading 22.4 / 20/18/22.4/20 etc then as soon as 1500 rpm is reached normal afr is resumed ( stoich)

Really weird and annoying now.

i suspected the NPS, but tested it and in neutral i get open circuit (plunger all the way out ) and in gear i get resistance (plunger pushed in ) so switch is basically working

huff huff huff
If I remember rightly, reinjection is coolant temperature related - there's a map which controls at what RPM it kicks in, for what coolant temperature. Have you checked that the coolant temperature sensor is giving the correct readings? I think the gauge uses a different sensor from the ECU too, so you'll need to log some reading rather than trust the gauge.
Old 10 April 2019, 12:01 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

Yeah, the coolant temp is correct within the ESL software, you can trace it as well so it all tallies up, cold start about 20 degrees registers then increases to 80 at normal operating temp and you can follow the blue trace as to what RPM stage its at and should be working from.

cheers
Old 10 April 2019, 01:48 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Nothing strange in the tp log?,I could see mine jumping up slightly when I was driving and off throttle so injectors intermittently didn't shut off.
Old 10 April 2019, 03:42 PM
The Rig
Scooby Regular

No nothing unusual but the logs only show throttle % not voltage

Im going to check the TPS voltage at the ECU end ( now im not getting confused with throttle % via the ESL software, at idle mine is 5.5% not V , daft i am and see if thats all ok

cheers