Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Stock airbox Vs Induction Kit

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2017, 10:05 AM
2001_UK300
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock airbox Vs Induction Kit

I have the standard stock airbox fitted to my UK300 and was wondering whether anyone could tell me if replacing it with a proper induction kit would make much difference? The car has been remapped recently so would I need to remap it again if I swapped it over?
Old 18 July 2017, 10:15 AM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001_UK300
I have the standard stock airbox fitted to my UK300 and was wondering whether anyone could tell me if replacing it with a proper induction kit would make much difference? The car has been remapped recently so would I need to remap it again if I swapped it over?
You would need to get it mapped again, would gain maybe 2 or 3 hp but at the cost of spool and response so deffo not worth it.
The standard airbox with a good pannel filter is very good and deffo not a limiting factor with your turbo.

Where do you want the car to be and what is current spec
Old 18 July 2017, 10:41 AM
2001_UK300
Scooby Regular

Currently running 345bhp but would ideally like to get it to 400bhp, still has top mounted intercooler but been told front mounted would increase power, not sure by how much though! Fairly new to the Scooby world so learning something new day by day lol
Old 18 July 2017, 11:11 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

With an induction filter you get the nice induction sound from the engine,you will probably lose a little performance low down the revs but gain slightly at the top end of revs,you should have a cold feed running to the filter ideally as the heat from under the bonnet will affect performance,if you're not running mafless then induction kits have been known so shorten the life of maf sensors.
Which ever you choose there won't be a great loss or increase in performance.
Should be mapped in or at least AFRs checked of you fit one.
Old 18 July 2017, 11:17 AM
2001_UK300
Scooby Regular

To be honest for the money I may as well leave the standard airbox on it and swap the standard filter out for a better panel filter, thanks for the advice
Old 18 July 2017, 11:22 AM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Good choice the standard box should be good for 400bhp
Old 18 July 2017, 11:59 AM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

A UK300 running 340bhp sounds good, 400bhp would be a nightmare in my opinion assuming, the engine is standard, the gearbox is 5 speed?

I sold one with apx 340bhp a few years ago, could this be my old car?

Robert.
Old 18 July 2017, 12:35 PM
gazney101
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Currently running 345bhp but would ideally like to get it to 400bhp, still has top mounted intercooler but been told front mounted would increase power, not sure by how much though! Fairly new to the Scooby world so learning something new day by day lol
No need for front mount either to Be honest,
If it's just a daily road car and not a track car the bigger sti top mount intercooler works very well and capable of over 400.

To reach 400 you're going to need a td05 20g turbo (preferably billet wheel), sti pink injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, possibly adjustable fuel pressure regulator, sti top mount intercooler and a map.

A Harvey trick up pipe will help things along nicely with spool aswell along with ported exhaust manifold.

Don't expect your gearbox to last very long though at this level, unless it's got a six speed
Old 18 July 2017, 12:53 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101
If it's just a daily road car and not a track car the bigger sti top mount intercooler works very well and capable of over 400.

To reach 400 you're going to need a td05 20g turbo (preferably billet wheel), sti pink injectors, walbro 255 fuel pump, possibly adjustable fuel pressure regulator, sti top mount intercooler and a map.

A Harvey trick up pipe will help things along nicely with spool aswell along with ported exhaust manifold.

Don't expect your gearbox to last very long though at this level, unless it's got a six speed

He's already running 345bhp, so he must have larger injectors, fuel pump, and Up pipe. I'd also be surprised if its on the standard tmic too....., so your right but his list is hopefully should be much smaller....
Old 18 July 2017, 02:55 PM
2001_UK300
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gazney101

It's only 5 speed so I'm guessing a little bit more power will shorten the life of the gearbox. Are 6 speed conversions difficult to do?

It's not my daily driver thankfully lol, as much as I love it it's pretty loud and would cost a fortune in fuel! I just use it as something nice to drive at the weekends and special occasions plus plan to take it on a few track days. Might just leave it as it is actually, 345bhp seems plenty enough for something just to have a bit of fun in!

Originally Posted by Rob Day
A UK300 running 340bhp sounds good, 400bhp would be a nightmare in my opinion assuming, the engine is standard, the gearbox is 5 speed?

I sold one with apx 340bhp a few years ago, could this be my old car?

Robert.
Might be, my mate bought it from up Scotland way a few years ago.....

He's already running 345bhp, so he must have larger injectors, fuel pump, and Up pipe. I'd also be surprised if its on the standard tmic too....., so your right but his list is hopefully should be much smaller....
My mate still has all the paperwork but all those sound very familiar from what he was telling me it's had done, guess I shall see for myself when he hands it over lol
Old 18 July 2017, 03:18 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

I would keep to the current power it is running now assuming it is 345bhp and not pub talk 345

A 6 speed conversion will cost you around £2k for the whole hog, but for 345 I would think you should be okay if your courteous. I stripped 3 gear in the UK300 I had and ended up having the gearbox replaced with the a stronger version from a classic.

Ironically I sold the UK300 to a lad in Scotland, I think he went by the name of Ricky R1 or something like that, he was into allsorts, think he had a Skyline too. Do you get a feeling this is the car I sold, I think it might be!
Old 18 July 2017, 03:25 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Found the car I sold:
https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...pp-340bhp.html
Old 18 July 2017, 03:56 PM
2001_UK300
Scooby Regular

I would keep to the current power it is running now assuming it is 345bhp and not pub talk 345

A 6 speed conversion will cost you around £2k for the whole hog, but for 345 I would think you should be okay if your courteous. I stripped 3 gear in the UK300 I had and ended up having the gearbox replaced with the a stronger version from a classic.

Ironically I sold the UK300 to a lad in Scotland, I think he went by the name of Ricky R1 or something like that, he was into allsorts, think he had a Skyline too. Do you get a feeling this is the car I sold, I think it might be!
Lol my mate took it for a rolling road day at Kamakazi in Birmingham not so long ago so it is true bhp not pub talk bhp lol

Shame the photo's are not there anymore, would have been interesting to see how it looked.......
Old 18 July 2017, 04:41 PM
Rob Day
Scooby Regular

Lol my mate took it for a rolling road day at Kamakazi in Birmingham not so long ago so it is true bhp not pub talk bhp lol

Shame the photo's are not there anymore, would have been interesting to see how it looked.......

I found the user name that bought it from me too: R1Ricky https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=109789

This registration plate is no longer on this car...

Old 18 July 2017, 04:49 PM
2001_UK300
Scooby Regular

I found the user name that bought it from me too: R1Ricky https://www.scoobynet.com/member.php?u=109789

This registration plate is no longer on this car...

Nice!