Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Apexi FC issues

Search this Thread

Old 28 April 2017, 07:58 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apexi FC issues

Hi, hoping someone on here can just help me out with an issue I've got.

I've been building my 73 Beetle with an Impreza turbo engine with modified loom (from a v5 uk2000), and finally fitted a battery today to test my wiring out.
I've fitted an Apexi FC as I eliminated my immobiliser and obviously want to tune it once finished.

Now the issue I have is that once the ignition is switched on, it won't go back off (hand controller stays on too) until either the battery is disconnected or the main relay pulled so the ecu is staying awake.
I plugged in my original ecu just to test the wiring and the ignition switches on and off ok and you can hear the main relay working, but it won't for the Apexi.

Has anyone come across this? Any pointers to check when I get back onto working on it? Otherwise means sending it off to see if someone can test it for me?

Cheers in advance for any help
Old 29 April 2017, 01:03 AM
bludgod
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

probably too basic of a check but have you checked the map on the apexi is definitly for a v5 subaru?
Old 29 April 2017, 08:57 AM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

What difference would the map make to keeping the ignition/main relay alive?

I had attempted to reset the apexi using the hand commander back to its factory I risk settings and this made no difference
Old 29 April 2017, 01:01 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I thought the immobiliser which runs from the coded key was separate from the ECU on the V5 as you can swap ECUS without a problem, I fitted a PPP one to my V5 with no immobiliser issues. Are you sure the Apexi you have is for a V5/6?

You will need to swap the cam and crank sensors wires in the wiring loom as they are swapped on the Apexi but this won't be the cause of your ignition problem.
Old 29 April 2017, 01:58 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Yeah I've removed the immobiliser out of the loom as I didn't want to use the transponder ring and keys etc so I'm using the original vw key and barrel.
The Apexi unit is the 3 plug unit which checking the part numbers comes back as v5/v6, which I had one fitted on my old v5 uk2000.
i know the cam and crank wires need swapping which I'll do, but not interested in starting just yet, it's the fact the ignition stays on with the Apexi but not the original ecu?
Old 29 April 2017, 04:41 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

I've been reading on other forums (mainly nissan's) that they've had similar issues with the ECCS circuit not working correctly with the Apexi FC's but seems strange as never had issues when I fitted the Apexi in my old UK2000 apart from swapping the cam and crank wires
Old 01 May 2017, 04:42 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Well had another look today but still confused by this.
I've plugged in my standard ecu and checked the feeds and earth going to the main relay and i've got a good earth and 12v on all other pins, then all power down after approx a couple of mins as you can hear inside the ecu clicking as it shuts off but the ignition has switched off way before obviously as it should.

Then onto plugging the Apexi back in, i've got all the same feeds on the main relay but the ignition is still on even though keys removed, so where else would the ecu be getting a feed from that should switch off just the ignition and ecu so the main relay can then eventually power down?

I've tried running a seperate earth to the Apexi ECU casing but still no joy.

Hoping to plug the Apexi into a friends V5 uk2000 if i can't find anything just to test if this is an internal fault within the ecu or a wiring problem?
Old 01 May 2017, 04:59 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Right found a problem but can't figure out why it's doing it.
Connector B136 Pin 25 - Ignition switch.
On the standard ecu it's 12v with ignition on, then drops to 2v with ignition off and after a couple of mins drops to 0v
On the Apexi it's 12v with ignition on, then 11v with ignition off too? So it's seeing a change but for some reason not dropping off to 0v.
Also noticed with the original ecu fitted, the main fan relays click on and off, but with the Apexi fitted they don't do anything even though the Apexi is putting voltage out to them.

Scratching my head with this

Last edited by Furiokid; 01 May 2017 at 06:52 PM. Reason: More information
Old 02 May 2017, 09:34 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

I know no ones been able to help yet but thought I'd update again.

After reading the ecu pinout I figured that as the Apexi is JDM the loom needed to match *without immobiliser, so I swapped the fuel pump relay from pin 1 to pin 21 of B134 even though the fuel pump relay was operating anyway. Restested but still have the same issue?

With B136 unplugged, checked pin 25 and it switches to 12v with ignition on so it's definitely an input but can't figure why it switches off with the standard ecu but not the Apexi?

Only other thing I've noticed is that on the hand commander it comes up with E207G. According to the Apexi website it lists this ecu for v5/v6 that's GC8/GF8, which is classed as F/G? Don't know if anyone has one in their UK2000 to see what it says? Part number on the side does state is GC8F.

Last edited by Furiokid; 02 May 2017 at 09:40 PM.
Old 06 May 2017, 05:56 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Not managed to find anyone that I can test this ecu on yet, so carried on messing about with wiring to try and see if I can find an answer.
Depinned B136 pin 25 (ignition power), and ran a new fused ignition feed to try and eliminate anything back feeding on the ignition feed. This made no difference, the ECU still stays awake.
The only thing I did find, is that with the ignition off and keys removed, the ecu and ignition is still obviously on, and if I operate an aux power i.e wipers, heater etc, the ignition then goes off like it's using the current in the circuit for it to then go off?!

Anyone help?
Old 07 May 2017, 05:58 PM
Shane
Scooby Regular

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Could it be that something isn't earthed properly, if something is floating rather than being pulled hard to 0V it can cause all kinds of strange problems, could be the Apexi isn't quite as tolerant as the standard ECU.
Old 07 May 2017, 06:17 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

I wondered this myself, but from what I can see everything is earthed as it should be?
I've been trying to find somewhere that might be able to bench test it for me
Old 12 June 2017, 10:16 PM
Furiokid
Scooby Regular

Well I managed to test this on a friend's Impreza and found it does exactly the same thing so appears to be an internal fault of the Apexi .
Don't know if it's repairable or not